Precision turbo question

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I'm trying to Google search info on airflow on the Gen2 series turbos for a double PT and triple PT setup. I remember back when EPR was doing a triple with the atmos being a fairly small inducer size.

What I am trying to consider in a sensible and smart build: the setup would not be a 100% performance oriented build for drag racing. I am going for a build that would be one part hot rod and one part towing truck. I will be towing about 15,000lbs on a regular basis. However, I would like to slowly build up to a compound or triple. Each purchase on the build will be built upon the other with little money "wasted" in piping kits and turbos or injectors or injection pumps, etc.

My LB7 will run a 10mm Exergy pump or a twin LBZ pump. It will have 65% SAC injectors in Wagler Street Heads. I like the Wagler Street intake as well. All of this on a built short block. Not sure on the cam, but have considered the Hamilton cam for the 66mm and larger turbos.

My first and primary turbo is what I have been rolling around in my head. I get it that tuning is a huge part of the decision, but I'm not sure exactly if the PT6870 is too big of a single (keeping in mind in may take a year before I can afford a compound kit or triple kit after all this other stuff). LOL. Wagler Performance brags that this turbo and supporting mods produce 1900ft/lbs at 2200 RPM. Precision has some really nice smaller options as a single like the Gen2 PT6466.

so, I'm asking for suggestions on what would make the best single for my application with the mind of building a bigger system later. I'm also asking if anybody knows of the airflow numbers on the smaller chargers like the 62 or anything around the 75_82mm chargers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dmax_Ben

Dec 7, 2016
if you're towing lots why not just do a s475 or 80 over an upgraded drop in charger. Can make tons of power on that set up

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
if you're towing lots why not just do a s475 or 80 over an upgraded drop in charger. Can make tons of power on that set up
I could do that, yes. I'm looking for more power than a upgrade stock can support on the top end though. As I gather parts for the build I'm going to probably run a bigger stock cover and wheel as a 63.5.

Last edited:

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
This is one I'm talking about. Nice setup.

f8eefd89803dc81a568377215662c7f0.jpg

dmaxerLLY

Aug 10, 2007
California
www.instagram.com
There's a whole bunch of "it will have" and "probably going to" .... commit, towing or performance.

Towing- upgraded stock, compound kit.

Performance- gt42 (75-76mm) single, also makes one of the best all around manifold turbos. The turbine is great.

If it's not 100% performance oriented, never, never, never triples. Such a waste of time and money.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
There's a whole bunch of "it will have" and "probably going to" .... commit, towing or performance.

Towing- upgraded stock, compound kit.

Performance- gt42 (75-76mm) single, also makes one of the best all around manifold turbos. The turbine is great.

If it's not 100% performance oriented, never, never, never triples. Such a waste of time and money.
I don't remember ever saying "probably going to" in the OP.

I already committed...reread the part in which I wrote "not 100% drag race" and I pull 15k regularly.

I am trying to find out what my options are with regard to finding north of what a compound over stock turbo can handle (around 750hp). I like PTE and BW SXE turbos.

I don't think triples are a waste of money considering I'll do all of my piping and they have little lag...probably less than a compound with the right tuning and converter.

If I'm wrong about triples, so be it. I've been wrong before and that's why I've asked the questions I have. Thank you for your input. I don't mind discussing why a triple setup would be bad...or the advantages of other options.

One thing is for sure though...the stock...or nodded stock turbo won't be on this truck with the goals I have in mind.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Why not run one of the S300sxe chargers in the valley, maybe an S364sxe? Small enough to run as a single, but has a lot more output than a regular S300 of similar size. Later on, would make a good small charger for a twinset, or a good base for triples?

Just spitballing as I have very little turbo knowledge.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Why not run one of the S300sxe chargers in the valley, maybe an S364sxe? Small enough to run as a single, but has a lot more output than a regular S300 of similar size. Later on, would make a good small charger for a twinset, or a good base for triples?

Just spitballing as I have very little turbo knowledge.
I talked with Brent over at LDS about this exact thing! I get exactly where you're coming from and the issue is I'd get better overall performance out of the S364.5 sxe than a modded 63.5 IHI, but there is the extra money on the turbo for the BW and piping. I wouldn't necessarily have to put bigger pipes on it though.

You're right, I could use that 364.5 as a high Pressure in a compound, and still use the Wagler Street intake. (Don't know if you've seen that intake with the twisted pedestal Wagler has in a compound kit, but it's sexy!)

I could also use that as one of my atmos on a triple. I read a post that Mark Broviak commented on with regard to the stock/364.5 triples.

This is why I'm trying to find out maps or whathaveyou on the PTE turbos. I want to compare their map with the BW. I know they are bad ass turbos for sure, especially that Gen2 6870 ball bearing. On a Supra gasser it outperforms their own 7175.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yes, that Wagler intake is nice. Way beyond my price-point, though.

That 364 would spool nicely as a towing charger, wouldnt it? Would also have the top-end so that if (when?) you go to the strip you arent discouraged by not having enough air? Then later twin it, still have the low-end spool but also have terrific top-end? As for install kit, its going to be expensive no matter what aftermarket charger you choose, so that expense has to be included no matter what.

Just kind of makes sense to me....

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Yes, that Wagler intake is nice. Way beyond my price-point, though.

That 364 would spool nicely as a towing charger, wouldnt it? Would also have the top-end so that if (when?) you go to the strip you arent discouraged by not having enough air? Then later twin it, still have the low-end spool but also have terrific top-end? As for install kit, its going to be expensive no matter what aftermarket charger you choose, so that expense has to be included no matter what.

Just kind of makes sense to me....
Brent talks like it's a hell of little charger and certainly outperforms a 63.5 IHI. It spools great and can certainly break a stock bottom at max effort.

PTE has a 6466 which is about the same as that 364.5 and at almost the same price point. Its a 64mm compressor, 66mm/76 trim turbine.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Typically Precision makes or at least uses higher flowing turbines than most. So even if it measures the same as a charger from another co. it has the potential to perform better. Which also means spool slower possibly.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Typically Precision makes or at least uses higher flowing turbines than most. So even if it measures the same as a charger from another co. it has the potential to perform better. Which also means spool slower possibly.

Didn't realize that...so riddle me this:

The gtx4088r is a 65mm inducer compressor with a 68mm exducer 78trim turbine.

In your opinion how would that Gen2 PTE 6466 compare to the Garrett and the BW364.5sxe with towing in mind.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I'm starting to see what you are saying about spool time comparing turbo to turbo.

I found a list of turbos, the PTE G2 6870 flows 110lb/min.

This list: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2559017

It doesn't have the sxe turbos on it, nor all of the gtx turbos.

dmaxerLLY

Aug 10, 2007
California
www.instagram.com
If I was to put any non variable turbo on my truck it's a toss up between the 68/70 and a gt42. 68/70 seems promising on a duramax for towing/racing but the gt42 would have similar manners with better top end.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Josh, I'm glad you chimed in here. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on turbos...what's your opinion on my question in the OP about application?

I really only know stuff about the variables. Wish I could help more but I'm not gonna spit bs