PPEI Next On The Chopping Block???

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
Not really. With today's technology anyone can check up on their representative and see how they voted on any bill. Personally, I take the time every couple months to review Representatives I know in Ohio and couple other states.

No excuse if you vote for someone more than once, who doesn't represent your views.

Sent from a russian troll farm using Tapatalk

Ok, just saw that you have has this and wanted to acknowledge how great it is.:roflmao:

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Reply from Senator Jones AL,

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts regarding regulations on race cars. I'm pleased to share that I am a cosponsor of the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019 (S. 2602).

The RPM Act would legalize the practice of converting an automobile into a race car used exclusively for track competitions. This bill was originally introduced in 2016 following confusion over a 2015 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rule proposal which has since been withdrawn. Many racing enthusiasts believed the proposed rule effectively banned the process of converting street cars into race cars and thus sought legislative action to clearly legalize this practice.

Currently, it remains illegal to tamper with or defeat emission control systems in automobiles under the Clean Air Act. This law is long-standing and predates the EPA rule proposal that sparked the RPM Act to be drafted. However, the EPA has stated that enforcement of this law is focused on cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically on aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads. The agency has not enforced this law with regard to trailered vehicles used exclusively for track competitions. With that said, I understand the need for statutory clarity regarding this issue. Amateur racing enthusiasts deserve more than mere de facto protection from criminal penalties.

Should the RPM Act be reintroduced in the new Congress and come before the Senate for a vote, I look forward to supporting it.

Thank you again for writing. Please do not hesitate to do so again if ever I can be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Doug Jones
United States Senator

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Now that's a proper reply.

So far we have identified two Senators with favorable views, a couple prius owners, and a few more setting in expensive leather chairs spinning circles while blowing smoke out their ass.

Think it's gonna require some serious work to find 49 more to make up a majority...

flyintaco138

May 25, 2014
Runnells, Iowa
Dear Mr. Mosqueda,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 2602, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019. It is important for me to hear from folks in Iowa on policy matters such as this.

Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) introduced the RPM Act. This bill, which I cosponsored and support, was referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am a member. According to the bill’s authors, this legislation aims to protect amateur motorsports enthusiasts and parts suppliers from proposed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations that could potentially have negative consequences on the sport and the industry that supports it.

Under the Clean Air Act, the EPA is authorized to regulate vehicle emissions. As you know, in July 2015, the EPA and NHTSA promulgated their proposed rule, “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles-Phase 2,” and published it in the Federal Register. This rule intends to reduce carbon emissions and increase fuel efficiency by establishing new standards for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles. Included in the proposal was language that would prohibit the practice of altering a non-road vehicle’s emissions system to convert it into a competition vehicle. Under the proposed rule, the sale of certain parts used to make such conversions would also be illegal. EPA claimed that this language only applies to snowmobiles and motorcycles, but some fear that it could also extend to racecars. Opponents of these provisions contended that they would decimate the amateur motorsports industry, and maintain that racing vehicles should be excluded from the rule. The rule was finalized in August 2016 and did not contain the language that some feared could impact competition vehicles.

If enacted, S. 2602 would amend the Clean Air Act to exempt vehicles used solely for competition from the anti-tampering provisions of the law. Additionally, the legislation would exclude competition vehicles from the definition of “motor vehicle” in the Clean Air Act. Although the final rule did not include the language deemed problematic by racing enthusiasts, some contend that this legislation is necessary to prevent attempts at implementing similar regulations in the future.

As a motorcycle owner, I understand that many Americans enjoy safely racing their on- and off-road vehicles in amateur competitions across the country. Efforts to reduce pollution must be done in a thoughtful manner that involves the communities, businesses, and families that will be most affected by changes to rules and regulations. Any policies designed to protect the environment should take into consideration the impact they will have on American consumers and also on our businesses and their ability to compete and create jobs.

Please know that I will continue to keep your views in mind as the Senate continues to work on this issue. Feel free to contact my office with any further information, as I always enjoy hearing from Iowans.

Sincerely,

Joni K. Ernst
United States Senator

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
This is what I got back.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the conversion of automobiles into racecars and the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) interpretation of the Clean Air Act.

As you know, the EPA, as recently as 2015, proposed regulations declaring that the Clean Air Act would prohibit emission modifications to vehicles modified for racing purposes. During the 115th Congress I was a proud cosponsor of the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act, which would have amended the Clean Air Act to allow the modification of a vehicle’s air emission controls if the vehicle is used solely for competition. This bill ultimately failed to move out of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works in the 115th Congress.

Where regulations are necessary, we should ensure that they are common-sense and address real problems. I will continue to work to ensure that regulations do not place an undue burden on Missourians and all Americans.

I appreciate your insight and advocacy on this issue and be assured that should legislation regarding this come before the full Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I would love to contribute to this. But governor Cuomo will not support this message. I do appreciate everything you guys are doing! And if there is something else I could do, iwill do it!

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Thank you for contacting me to share your support for the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019, and for providing exemptions for racing vehicles under the Clean Air Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

It is currently illegal under the Clean Air Act to tamper with or install devices to circumvent the emissions controls on any vehicle or engine. However, that provision has not traditionally been applied to racing vehicles. I have heard from Oregonians who support the RPM Act as a way to ensure their ability to convert street vehicles into racecars. The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act would amend the Clean Air Act to allow for the modification of emission controls in vehicles used specifically for competition.

The RPM Act has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am a member. As someone who grew up tinkering with machines and engines, and racing Quarter Midget cars as a kid, I understand and respect the tradition of modifying cars to make racing vehicles. Please know that I will keep your views in mind should the RPM Act or related legislation come before the committee or the full Senate for consideration.

Thank you, again, for contacting me. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on the issues that are important to you.
All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Dear Mr. Daunicht:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. I agree that a balance must be struck between the rights of hobbyists and the need to protect the environment.

The Clean Air Act of 1970 regulates emissions of all motor vehicles through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Clean Air Act exempts vehicles built exclusively for the purpose of racing from emission efficiency requirements but that exemption does not include motor vehicles that have been adapted by owners from other purposes to a race-only vehicle.

Senator Richard Burr introduced S.2602, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act, on October 16, 2019. S.2602 amends the Clean Air Act to create a new exemption for emissions regulations which would apply to vehicles modified into vehicles used solely for racing. This bill is currently being reviewed by the Environment and Public Works Committee and I will closely monitor this legislation as it makes its way through the Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

United States Senator

Please do not respond to this email. To send another message please visit my website at https://www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck . Thank you.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I also received the form letter reply as you guys have:

Dear Thomas,

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting me about the federal regulation of motorsport vehicle emissions under the Clean Air Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views and concerns with me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On October 16, 2019, Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) introduced the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019 (S.2602). This bill would prevent the EPA from regulating the emissions of vehicles that are used solely for competition. It is pending before the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Although I do not serve on this committee, I will keep your views in mind as this bill moves through the legislative process.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.[/FONT]
Sincerely,
dssign-debbie.gif

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

Good old Deb Stab-u-in-the-back-now. Has very little idea what she's talking about....
Funny thing, I work with her brother. Now, he's a nice guy. :hehe:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
In all fairness we did send them a canned letter...

But they have a whole crew of assistants that do nothing but sit around and reply. Best you can hope for is they get enough emails on the subject that those helpers update them that it's a hot topic.

I believe that's why lobbyists were invented. Cuts out the middleman when you buy them lunch...

Sent from a russian troll farm using Tapatalk

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV

Don’t know if this has been posted before but looks like the EPA is really trying to send a message

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/2019-clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/se...ohibits-performance-diesel-inc-selling-diesel

Aren’t all of our trucks considered light/medium duty? They keep saying “heavy duty diesels” are breaking the law. I would think that only apply to commercial, for profit, tractor trailer type diesels.

Whatever happened to hobbyist builders being able to build and develop vehicles they want? This all when you see a POS gasser with blown rings puking oil out of the exhaust and no issue there..:mad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Dang the one “company”
Is right down the street from me and he was wasn’t even into diesel stuff he just worked on super stock stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk