LBZ: Power loss

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
17mm swivel socket for the 3 pedestal boltS. The middle one is a pita. I go in from the pass side. Up pipe bolts are 11mm. 12 point. Then there is two nuts on the back for the oil drain. And two coolant lines on the side. They are also 17mm iirc.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Probably take you 2 hours to get it off the first time you do it, but it is not hard. Go slow and be patient.

No offense but I've pulled quite a few stock lbz turbos and I can't pull one in 2 hours.. The up pipe bolts kick my ass every time.

Maybe I'm doing soemthing wrong? Book time on an lbz turbo is like 12 hours..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Probably take you 2 hours to get it off the first time you do it, but it is not hard. Go slow and be patient.
I'd love to see this done on a truck that's never been apart with 200k miles. Not just an lbz any Duramax. Not saying it isn't possible but on the trucks I've worked on there's no way.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I can have my zf on the floor in an hour with a lift. That makes it easy. But that's alot of work, seems like my tranny comes out so much anyway it's always out when I need to do stuff like that. And not everyone has l access to a lift

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I'd love to see this done on a truck that's never been apart with 200k miles. Not just an lbz any Duramax. Not saying it isn't possible but on the trucks I've worked on there's no way.

Been awhile and maybe my memory is bad, maybe it was three....I know it was not 12 tho I sprayed all the bolts a couple days before, so that sped things up.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
No offense but I've pulled quite a few stock lbz turbos and I can't pull one in 2 hours.. The up pipe bolts kick my ass every time.

Maybe I'm doing soemthing wrong? Book time on an lbz turbo is like 12 hours..

X2
I just did an LLY 3 days ago and it took 5-6 hours to get everything out of the way, turbo pulled, and put on the bench. The 6 up pipe bolts on the turbo were fine but the 3 on the driver side manifold a broke.
I can do an LB7 quicker but those VVT's are tougher.

Yellowchevy.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
X2
I just did an LLY 3 days ago and it took 5-6 hours to get everything out of the way, turbo pulled, and put on the bench. The 6 up pipe bolts on the turbo were fine but the 3 on the driver side manifold a broke.
I can do an LB7 quicker but those VVT's are tougher.

Yellowchevy.

So yes to be fair Mine was an LB7. A lot less going on with that. If I get around to doing a turbo on this lml its gonna be a bitch

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I could get all the pedestal bolts coming from above the turbo with a long extension and a swivel socket took me about 6 hrs I'd guess just take your time and you'll be fine not hard just time consuming ;)

WICKED Z

Nov 3, 2014
But if it's 2 hours or 6 or 12 , i am not going to have to unbolt the cab and lift it up . Correct ?(a local gm tech , who doesnt do many deisels , said i'd need to lift the cab , he thought )

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
But if it's 2 hours or 6 or 12 , i am not going to have to unbolt the cab and lift it up . Correct ?(a local gm tech , who doesnt do many deisels , said i'd need to lift the cab , he thought )

No you do not have to lift the cab or unbolt it

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
17mm swivel socket for the 3 pedestal boltS. The middle one is a pita. I go in from the pass side. Up pipe bolts are 11mm. 12 point. Then there is two nuts on the back for the oil drain. And two coolant lines on the side. They are also 17mm iirc.

The up pipes are 12mm 12 point not 11.....

Remove the glow plug controller off it makes more room