Picked up another rifle

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
You can't cheat physics, but I can tell you that I am a reloader and you can load that 45-70 with some awesome choices these days! But my fav load is still 405gr hardcast lead :) I load that for Marlin lever and less powder for the 1873 Springfield Trap Door. Just love it.

I'm playing with different loads for my 500 Magnum. I have the revolver and Thompson Center Encore Katahdin. Anything from 300gr to 500gr jacketed flat point with a load of 296 is impressive! I'm tempted to get some 700gr hardcast just for shits and giggles.

Id love to try my hand at reloading ....Just don't seem to have enough time in my day :D. Those 430's were loaded to 2200fps and they definitely do some damage. I think the 550's were around 1300 but they hit whatever target you're shooting at like a runaway semi. Neither one is a round I'd wanna take past 250 yards with any confidence. I had some 325 leverevo rounds and those seemed to be a little better for reaching out, but still nothing like a .30.

That rifle has convinced me to buy a revolver chambered the same. Looking to buy the BFR in .45-70 now. Should be a good pig gun.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I love me a BFR, so I'm not talking you out of it, but even my 41 Magnum will dispatch a boar stem to stern. No need to beat yourself up :)

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I think he meant they threw out the need to have a permit (constitutional carry) like Missouri just did, not the right to carry.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
I'm hoping to see Trumps plan come true to bring universal concealed carry reciprocity to all 50 states so it would be like our drivers license

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I love me a BFR, so I'm not talking you out of it, but even my 41 Magnum will dispatch a boar stem to stern. No need to beat yourself up :)

That I don't doubt. I have a .44 mag that'll do the same. Something about a .45-70 out of pistol seems......fun:D

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I'm hoping to see Trumps plan come true to bring universal concealed carry reciprocity to all 50 states so it would be like our drivers license

This. If you can lawfully purchase, you should be able to carry with no permit. Period. Six years in law enforcement has taught me that more good guys with guns is the right move. Like that AZ trooper who was saved a week ago by a passerby with a CCW.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
This. If you can lawfully purchase, you should be able to carry with no permit. Period. Six years in law enforcement has taught me that more good guys with guns is the right move. Like that AZ trooper who was saved a week ago by a passerby with a CCW.

I don't think we should get rid of permits. Hell make the test harder. A lot harder. I don't care. It will weed out the ones that shouldn't own. And this should be the standard for ownership and it should be standardized and reciprocate through the entire country and territories.

Not everyone should have a gun. There needs to be a way to keep them out of their hands is all I meant by that. And I agree permits should reciprocate. There is no reason to be able to buy a firearm like candy. If you are stable and aren't a criminal what are you worried about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I don't think we should get rid of permits. Hell make the test harder. A lot harder. I don't care. It will weed out the ones that shouldn't own. And this should be the standard for ownership and it should be standardized and reciprocate through the entire country and territories.

Soooo... you want to continue asking the gvmt for permission to exercise a right? Standard for ownership?? I think not...

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I have the Marlin 45-70 GS. Out past 200 yards you are probably better throwing bricks.

I am shooting 305's for pigs and at 100 yards it will kill one and hurt the second one bad enough for it to cry until out of sound range. :)

The 305's are like a car hitting something. I know the pig I hit with it, broke both breast plates and the spine, and turned everything from the closest breast plate out the other side to hamburger or GONE. Little hole going in car tunnel coming out the other side.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado

I was going to reply with a detailed, historically accurate post then saw you live in CT. There is no point. Those states are so brainwashed and terrified of everything it would do no good. Keep relying on big brother to protect you. Those of us in the Western and Southern states will keep living free, and not in fear. I am truly sorry you are so sheltered and I hope one day you can leave the coast and experience life where it is worth living. So sad to see New Englanders want to revert back to tyrannical rule when the very fires of our own Revolution started in that area.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Edit: not worth the effort

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I have the Marlin 45-70 GS. Out past 200 yards you are probably better throwing bricks.

So true. Took it out again today, ran some jacketed 405's out to 150 yards. Blows 4x4's apart with zero effort at that range. Got the Leverevo 300's to set some tannerite off.....That was kinda cool. Didn't think it had the speed to get the job done but first shot and she went bang. Then proceeded to scare the bejeezus out of the girls by picking off 10lbs of it i stashed at the top of the hill we were backed into. They thought someone was going jeeeeehahd on us:rofl:.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
AWB Compliant, big brother approves :(

IMG_20170124_135722_zpszi8igkjt.jpg