LBZ: P2563: Two turbos in 63,000 miles?

Martian

Jun 28, 2013
2006 3500 Crew Cab Dually bought June 2006. First time I got the DTC P2563: TC Boost Control was at 34,843 miles/February 2010, turbo replaced under warranty. Second was at 63,185 miles/May 2013, turbo replaced at my expense. Is it normal to replace the turbo for stuck vanes every 30,000 miles? If so, should I start saving now for the next one or go buy a Ford? We use this truck to pull a fifth wheel RV and love the performance, especially in the mountains, but this is over the top. Chevrolet Assistance Center was a total waste of time and could not have cared less about the frequency of this specific problem. Their response to every question I had was "The dealer says this was out of warranty." I found reference to GM Bulletin PIP4857, they were unaware of it. But after reading they said it only applied to the 2007 model. Has anyone else gone through this trial? :mad:

Martian

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks for the questions. This is a totally stock truck. I take the truck to my Chevy dealer for oil changes every 5-6,000 miles and he puts in Delvac. Since we pull a fifth wheel, I change the fuel filter and service the transmission sooner than recommended in the owner's manual. Would any of those cause the turbo to go bad so soon? The Service Adviser and mechanic both said I was doing things right, just bad turbos.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i have just over 100,000 hard towing miles on my lbz engine almost 200k on the trubo.. every now and then the vanes will stick, i run delvac as well.. change it every ~10k

sounds like you got a couple bad one back to back

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
on the DS of the turbo there is a cylinder that has a threaded bolt hole.. with truck off shove it in. start the truck oil pressure should push it back out... do it couple times... you can pushing while its running but it take alot more force to do

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
heres picture i have pushed the plate in a little it will go all the way about ~2"
1043862_10200957758799767_715824519_n.jpg

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
on the DS of the turbo there is a cylinder that has a threaded bolt hole.. with truck off shove it in. start the truck oil pressure should push it back out... do it couple times... you can pushing while its running but it take alot more force to do
thanks man! sorry to interrupt the thread

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
I've heard that GM made updates to these turbos to correct this issue, the one in this PI would bolt right to your truck. Don't really know the difference between LBZ and LMM turbos? and I don't know if the updates were retro active to earlier models, But There are a bunch of gentlemen here with extensive blow dryer knowledge and If paying cash out of your pocket do more research and compile all info you can. IIRC some years of Ford use these turbos also.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Document ID: 2547779
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4857: Diesel Engine Turbocharger Performance DTC P2563 - (Nov 22, 2010)
Subject: Diesel Engine Turbocharger Performance DTC P2563

Models: 2007-2010 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
2007-2010 GMC Savana, Sierra, Topkick
Equipped with the 6.6 LMM Diesel Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may encounter a customer concern of reduced power and DTC P2563. The concern described in this PI will occur more often on vehicles that are driven in high ambient temperatures and towing at (or near) the gross vehicle weight limit.

There has been an updated turbo released to address this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:
It is imperative the P2563 diagnostic is completed. P2563 can set due to control solenoid or position sensor concerns. Also see the newest version of PIP4629 for diagnostic assistance. P2563 sets when the ECM detects the turbocharger actual and desired vane positions are not tracking. With the condition described in this PI, the turbo unison ring will stick in a high turbo boost request position. If duplicated (or a snapshot of concern is captured), the actual vane position may be noticed at approximately 70-80%, and the desired position will be approximately 20-30 %. This could occur during a deceleration, or during any other engine load changes that the ECM requests a lower vane position and/or a lower turbo boost pressure. Due to the vanes sticking in a high turbo boost position there may not be any loss of power noticed before the P2563 sets. The condition described in this PI may be hard to duplicate unless the vehicle is loaded.

 1. Inspect the oil feed line to the turbo, a kinked or damaged line may induce the same type of condition.
 2. Verify the customer has not used an aftermarket calibration per newest version of bulletin number 08-06-04-006.
 3. If SI diagnostics have led to a sticking vane turbo with DTC P2563 set, replace the turbo. Use updated turbo part number 12639460 for repairs.
Note: Some dealers may notice that DTC P0108 has set along with P2563. Please do not replace the MAP sensor if P0108 has set along with DTC P2563 (setting as described in this PI). Diagnose and repair turbo concern and evaluate P0108.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Martian

Jun 28, 2013
RKTMech, I found that PIP by doing a Google search on DTC P2563. Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center was not aware of the PIP until I brought it to their attention. Then he said sorry, that is for the 2007-2010 and you have a 2006. My dealer used part number 98011735, not the one mentioned in the PIP. The Customer Assistance Center brought this to the attention of my dealer who responded and said they put the correct one in. So, no joy. Spoke with GM's Alternative Dispute Resolution Department today, as a result of my BBB complaint, and they said they could offer me nothing. Maybe the owner's manual should spell out "replace turbo every 30,000 miles". Very frustrating, and Chevrolet has done nothing and could not care less about my situation.