P0960

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Just curious who has ever had this code? I looked here, DF, DP, DC and the diesel garage and I couldn't find anyone posting about this code ever

I have it now

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just curious who has ever had this code? I looked here, DF, DP, DC and the diesel garage and I couldn't find anyone posting about this code ever

I have it now

Would you care to share more info how this came about?:physchic:
You have a possible short to ground at the G solenoid or F trim solenoid as they share the same 12V. Could be disconnected wire at G solenoid. Could be a bad G solenoid.
I am done guessing without info.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Would you care to share more info how this came about?:physchic:
You have a possible short to ground at the G solenoid or F trim solenoid as they share the same 12V. Could be disconnected wire at G solenoid. Could be a bad G solenoid.
I am done guessing without info.

Okay I will try and fill you in.

Heres my whole story. For a bit I had a TC that would not command lock up so I put a manual ground switch on it. I ran that for bit with no troubles. The other day I was driving back from a truck pull and noticed that my turbo was barking very easily, I thought hmm thats weird. I was on back roads when that started doing that so It was a long drive without any stops... Finally came to a stop sign and when clear I turned, well tahts when it went into limp mode, the trans was at about 250*. I didn't remember the codes that set it into limp though I was just trying to clear them so i didnt have to drive home 30 minutes in limp.

The limp mode would not go away with clearing codes, so I figured I just needed to let it cool down first so I let it sit over night once i got home. the next morning I got in the truck and I was finally out of limp mode.... But from that point on my TCC was dragging when in drive or reverse. I thought hmm thats why my turbo was barking that night, because the TC was not releasing fully. Kinda like gettting off the throttle hard in a manuel truck without disengaging the clutch makes the turbo bark.

I need to put my truck in neutrel at a light now with the tcc drag otherwise it walks thru the brakes. the same night after I screwed up the TC I was driving home again not being very hard on it but about half throttle I limped it again with P0777 which I'm hearing is a tie up.

So after finding that out I decided my time is up and I have the truck turned down to my smallest tune (im not sure on the power of it but it feels like stock)

Just today driving slower than anybody on the road (yes so slow I got honked at for acellerating to slow) and out of nowwhere I got this code P0960. I have no idea why it set either.

I also have alittle problem not sure if its related or not but I'll go ahead and let you know.
In order to put my truck in neutrel I have to be rolling about 4 mph about 50 feet behind the car in front of me and throw it in neutral and let off the brakes for a bit then get back on them to come to a complete stop. If I put it in nuetral with my brakes on or going any faster I get 2 huge clunks from the tranny/ transfer case? I put my truck in neutral one time going about 40 and I skided the rear tires 3 different time when it clunked

So all and all I am really lost Ive had trouble for a couple months about puttin the truck in neutrel while moving and it clunking but nothing like what its doing now.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
And also for along time I've had the truck limp in 3rd gear with trans codes. Until about 3 days ago I've never had it limp in 4th gear. Could that clunking and 3rd gear limp be the NBSU? I forgot if the 6speeds had them or not

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I know I'm driving our Suburban when I can. I was just trying to get an idea of what could have caused the p0960 code, so I can go ahead and tell whoevers building it about it. Trying to save some diagnosis money.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Heres my whole story. For a bit I had a TC that would not command lock up so I put a manual ground switch on it. I ran that for bit with no troubles. The other day I was driving back from a truck pull and noticed that my turbo was barking very easily, I thought hmm thats weird. I was on back roads when that started doing that so It was a long drive without any stops... Finally came to a stop sign and when clear I turned, well tahts when it went into limp mode, the trans was at about 250*. I didn't remember the codes that set it into limp though I was just trying to clear them so i didnt have to drive home 30 minutes in limp.

In bold is most of your trouble converter is more then likely cooked and most of the clutch packs in the trans from the temps. The wiring job to get lock up might of tied it up.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
the grounded switch isnt the problem. I didn't have it locked at the time and I've used it trouble free for about 4 months. People have been doing that forever without this code.