p0735 what to do next? parts?

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
stepped out to pass someone doing about 70 in 5th converter locked, i eased in the the pedal, but it jerked and dropped out of gear, stayed in 4th, it took a few minutes for it to throw the check engine light, checked it with my efi live tool, p0735 gear 5 in correct ratio, I understand that it was my 5th gear slipping enough to go into limp mode.

i talked to a local shop abut rebuilding it, he said he wanted to test drive it first and put a scan tool on it first and watch it while we drove, we drove it, he got on it a little bit but nothing serious, he said it all looked good, and was not currently showing the issue i had.

I take care of my vehicles, i changed the fluid about 10k miles or less ago with mobil 1 delvac with the allison rating and spin on, i got the truck with 95k miles on it it now has 123k, i changed the internal filter and flushed the fluid at about 100k miles. i haul about 3300 lbs of water 3-4 times a week, and do have oversized tires (255/85/16) as well as the tuning, i drive it like i have a brain, as i know that the extra power on a stock one can kill it pretty quick if im not carefull.

so, what should i be looking at? was it a just a 1 time deal? i dont want to jump the gun and dump 6000$ into a tranny if i dont need to, but i also feel like theres some damage in there from slipping it bad enough to go into limp, and its riding on borrowed time.

suggestions? parts? the shop quoted me for a stock build(4300) with a full transgo shift kit, stock converter, and looks like they would replace all the electronics inside(is that normal?) i also feel like this is the time to put money into it while it is out, i want it to be bullet proof and then some, i own the truck and have no plans of buying a new one,

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
stepped out to pass someone doing about 70 in 5th converter locked, i eased in the the pedal, but it jerked and dropped out of gear, stayed in 4th, it took a few minutes for it to throw the check engine light, checked it with my efi live tool, p0735 gear 5 in correct ratio, I understand that it was my 5th gear slipping enough to go into limp mode.

i talked to a local shop abut rebuilding it, he said he wanted to test drive it first and put a scan tool on it first and watch it while we drove, we drove it, he got on it a little bit but nothing serious, he said it all looked good, and was not currently showing the issue i had.

I take care of my vehicles, i changed the fluid about 10k miles or less ago with mobil 1 delvac with the allison rating and spin on, i got the truck with 95k miles on it it now has 123k, i changed the internal filter and flushed the fluid at about 100k miles. i haul about 3300 lbs of water 3-4 times a week, and do have oversized tires (255/85/16) as well as the tuning, i drive it like i have a brain, as i know that the extra power on a stock one can kill it pretty quick if im not carefull.

so, what should i be looking at? was it a just a 1 time deal? i dont want to jump the gun and dump 6000$ into a tranny if i dont need to, but i also feel like theres some damage in there from slipping it bad enough to go into limp, and its riding on borrowed time.

suggestions? parts? the shop quoted me for a stock build(4300) with a full transgo shift kit, stock converter, and looks like they would replace all the electronics inside(is that normal?) i also feel like this is the time to put money into it while it is out, i want it to be bullet proof and then some, i own the truck and have no plans of buying a new one,

Find another shop.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Find another shop.

I'm still looking around, most of the people I've talked to here have only really fixed minor stuff on the Allison, not many full builds, even the shop i talked to had only done 1 other one, there may be a few places in anchorage that have a good rep for doing it, but its 360 miles away....thanks for the input

lads1085

May 27, 2015
So does that mean that there could be nothing wrong with the trans? I was under the impression limp mode was to prevent further damage.
Eventually you will need a new trans it will keep happening over and over. I have this problem in my lly been driving it for atleast 4 months. Just be easy on it. Also you don't need to go out right this minute and buy a trans, but if you have the money then you can buy a built one for just over 4 grand that's rated for 700 hp. Not immediate problem but it is a problem

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
So went datalogging with my efi live v2, limped again going up a slight incline over an overpass, about 60mph, trans was 180F, accelerated, not enough to downshift, trans went into limp mode, p0746, solenoid a performance or stuck off, not sure what that solinoid does, why would this cause the trans to slip? Is it linked to the previous p0735?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So went datalogging with my efi live v2, limped again going up a slight incline over an overpass, about 60mph, trans was 180F, accelerated, not enough to downshift, trans went into limp mode, p0746, solenoid a performance or stuck off, not sure what that solinoid does, why would this cause the trans to slip? Is it linked to the previous p0735?

P0746 is a slip. P0735 is a slip. There is nothing wrong with your trim solenoid A.
Now go build your trans.

rmk800ak

Jun 27, 2009
Fairbanks AK.
Listen to Mike he will steer you in the right direction he has always helped me . I have one being sent up now from him can't wait. I personally would steer clear of shops around town. Burn Down might have some info on somebody that will do it or even help you. I have a manual you can use if you want to tackle it yourself.

Last edited:

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
I'm located in Alaska as well and I've been tossing around the idea of building my transmission. I'd like to take it somewhere and have it flushed and checked out good just not sure the best place to take it. Pacific Power Products did help me out once but they focus more on big rig Alison's. Anyone got a good shop in Alaska just to do a flush and once over make sure everything is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk