ok i've had it....

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i ran my stock turbo, then twins, then the gt4088.... the stockers power was more than enough, the twins responsiveness and towing abilities were just amazing, and the 4088 drove amazing and well the sound was amazing.

i am sick of the god darn hissing from this stock lbz turbo.. i know how to open the vanes at idle and get my nice throaty rumble that way but all around i hate the hissing. already have a diamond eye, that helped a lot but not enough.

the twins covered it with the whisteling which i was fine with :) then the 4088 was just great.... i want that sound back.

what actually causes the hissing in our turbos? the vanes? the wheel? you guys with danvilles or cheetahs still have the hissing?

i'm still buying my house so budget is tight or i would still have my gt40 i'm just sick of that damn hissing!!! what are my options here???????????

thanks guys rant over hahaha

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i still want the truck to perform normally. i am looking for a hardware change to the turbo. already tried everything with adjusting vane position and boost tables.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
you talking about how it hisses as it 'cycles' at start up?

i'v e got the idle rumble on both, but both the van and truck do that cycle at startup and occasionally when slowing to a stop.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
i ran my stock turbo, then twins, then the gt4088.... the stockers power was more than enough, the twins responsiveness and towing abilities were just amazing, and the 4088 drove amazing and well the sound was amazing.

i am sick of the god darn hissing from this stock lbz turbo.. i know how to open the vanes at idle and get my nice throaty rumble that way but all around i hate the hissing. already have a diamond eye, that helped a lot but not enough.

the twins covered it with the whisteling which i was fine with :) then the 4088 was just great.... i want that sound back.

what actually causes the hissing in our turbos? the vanes? the wheel? you guys with danvilles or cheetahs still have the hissing?

i'm still buying my house so budget is tight or i would still have my gt40 i'm just sick of that damn hissing!!! what are my options here???????????

thanks guys rant over hahaha

sorry to hear, but I am enjoying the 4088:D

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
even that "whooshing" while driving around town drives me nuts..... fast i want my turbo back :( :cry: lol

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I think TTS make's a tune that get's it to idle that way too

Cole doesn't tune LLY's+... atleast not well LOL

Your only other alternative is to go with another FG turbo... I love the way my 4094 sounds... I never was a fan of twinning with my stock turbo because I didn't like the way it sounded.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Paint, your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Just because Steve doesn't tune your truck doesn't mean he can't.:rolleyes:

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
You must be talking about that wooshing hi-powered toilet flushing sound you get when you get to a certain throttle position or fueling. I have a lly and after I put a full exhaust on it I get that sound from the stock turbo.

It dosent sound good at all. My guess is that when you get on the throttle the vanes close and block that noise then once it spools the vanes open back up and you get that noise. Ive never really heard my truck from the outside at WOT so I don't really know what it sounds like from the outside.

But it might be a good thing because it might be blocking that unsmooth raspy straight pipe duel exhaust sound.

dMerrell89

Sep 10, 2008
Id say any variable vane is going to have it, my cheetah still does but with the vanes opened up at idle it sounds like a fixed charger.

timlb703

Aug 20, 2007
Tuning will take care of the issue. Mine was tuned out and have yet to hear it in 20k miles.

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
What did you do in the tuning?

I lowered my max vane table from stock about 20% and havent notice any lost boost so im going to keep it that way. I havent really listened to my exhaust enough to see if it sounds different with the lower vane position.

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
i think the whistle is from exhaust flowing over vains and their travel slots, maybe polish and bevel edges may reduce turbulence that should be cause of whistle.