Oil Pressure port

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Is there a good place, other than the oil filter adapter, that I could put the oil pressure switch for my lift pumps? I'd like to clean up the adapter and put at least that elsewhere, the temp sender would be nice to move too, though. I don't like the rig that I have for the pressure sender.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
There is one behind oil cooler and two or so in front of it.

Would those be going to the cooler or returning from it? That obviously doesn't matter for the pressure, but right now my oil temp in in the "hot" side of the cooler, so IF I'm going to move the temp sender, I'd rather it be in the hotter oil.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The ports are the oil coming from the oil pump to the cooler
You sure about that? I thought the ports in the block were in the upper galley which is the one that is after the cooler/filter head.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Think your Right Josh I was thinking of something else

gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

Flow Schematic

726540.gif

[/URL]
Engine lubrication is supplied by a gear type oil pump assembly. The pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven by the oil pump drive gear on the crankshaft. The pump gears rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block oil galleries. Contained within the oil pump assembly is a safety relief valve that eliminates overpressurization. Pressurized oil is directed through the sub oil gallery (5) to the full flow oil filter where harmful contaminants are removed. Two bypass valves are incorporated into the oil cooler assembly which will permit oil flow in the event the filter or the oil cooler become restricted.
The oil is directed to the main oil gallery (4), and from the main oil gallery it flows to the piston cooling channel left bank (3), and the sub oil gallery (6) on the right bank. The sub oil gallery on the right bank supplies oil to the right bank piston cooling channel (1). Located in the front cover at the sub oil gallery (6) is an oil pressure relief valve which regulates oil pressure within operating range.
Oil flows from the main gallery (4) to the vertical crankshaft/camshaft bearing galleries (2). From the crankshaft/camshaft bearing galleries (2), the oil flows to both the camshaft bearings and the crankshaft main bearings. Oil flows from the crankshaft main bearings to the connecting rod big end.
Oil flows from the crankshaft/camshaft bearing galleries (2) to the number 1 camshaft bearing (7), where it splash lubricates the fuel injection pump gear.
Oil flows from the crankshaft/camshaft bearing galleries (2) to the number 2 and 5 camshaft bearings (8).
Oil flows from the crankshaft/camshaft bearing galleries (2) to the number 3 camshaft bearing (9), where it exits to both cylinder heads and enters the hollow rocker arm shafts. Oil flows through the rocker arm shafts and rocker arms where it lubricates the upper valve train components.
On production LB7 engines through 2004, oil flowed through the rocker arms, through the passage in the valve adjusting screw, and into the hollow pushrods where it was directed to the valve lifters. Beginning with the 2004.5 engine (LLY), lifters with hardened rollers were used and did not require hollow pushrods for additional oil flow. However, hollow pushrods were used in production until approximately the start of the 2006 model year, after which the hole in the push rod ends was removed. The hollow pushrods can be used for any model year, whereas the pushrods without the holes in the ends can only be used for 2004.5 model year and newer production engines.
Oil flows from the crankshaft/camshaft bearing galleries (2) to the number 4 camshaft (10), where it exits into the turbocharger oil supply line to lubricate the turbocharger. Oil exiting the turbocharger is routed through the turbocharger oil return pipe and into the flywheel housing.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'm going to leave the temp sender in the oil filter housing since it's fine and out of the way where it is, but I want to move the pressure switch to the second from the factory OPS (circled). From the plug, the hole appears to have straight threads as opposed to tapered pipe threads. The Kennedy OPS appears to have the same size threads as the plug, but I don't know if they're pipe or straight threads. Does anyone know if has straight or pipe threads, and would anyone happen to know if I might be able to get one at one of the local chain stores?

Attachments

• DSCF5684.jpg
    DSCF5684.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Henry, what about that port you showed in your pic of the pre-luber? Isnt that near the rear of the block?

BTW, love the pics. :thumb:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Henry, what about that port you showed in your pic of the pre-luber? Isnt that near the rear of the block?

BTW, love the pics. :thumb:

Tom, if you're referring to this post, you remove the factory oil pressure sender and install the preluber, run oil through it then put the OPS back.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I'm going to leave the temp sender in the oil filter housing since it's fine and out of the way where it is, but I want to move the pressure switch to the second from the factory OPS (circled). From the plug, the hole appears to have straight threads as opposed to tapered pipe threads. The Kennedy OPS appears to have the same size threads as the plug, but I don't know if they're pipe or straight threads. Does anyone know if has straight or pipe threads, and would anyone happen to know if I might be able to get one at one of the local chain stores?

It's 14mm x 1.5 pitch if your talking on the block

some people use 3/8 npt but.I wouldn't recomemd that

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
It's 14mm x 1.5 pitch if your talking on the block

some people use 3/8 npt but.I wouldn't recomemd that

That's kinda what I thought (That the block had straight threads, not pipe). I know using a NPT thread in a straight thread is not a good idea; I've had a slow leak (despite using thread sealant) where the current OPS is on my truck as I had to use pipe thread adapters, but the housing has straight threads as well

Couger fwiw I've ran kd pumps for over 4 years and never used his oil pressure switch

I have his control harness, so for "ease", I'd like to get another sender so I have the LBZ all ready to "Plug n Play". Ideally, I'd like to get one locally, but if I can't find one, I can get one from him. They're not terribly expensive. The less I need to pull off my LLY at swap time, the better. I already have to pull the fan assembly and DR injector return lines.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Yeap that was it. Didnt realize that was the OPS port.

I use a port in the opposite side that is for my oil pressure gauge it's handy because I allready have the 14 mm fitting in the block and a hose then just have to disconnect my hose from the gauge sensor and hook it to my pump

any pump will work I've seen people use a old SB chevy oil pump and a drill