Oil gallery plugs

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
if you are looking for oil supply; front of the block oil galley plug about 5 o'clock referenced to the fan shroud mount. its 14mm x 1.5 pitch "drain plug" and carquest i believe carries one with a 1/8 pipe fitting on it :)

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
After seeing the pressures from Curtis's pump, I believe. I red loc-tited mine, but I look to see what's happening down there frequently. Cold starts are still scary, and it isn't even Fall yet.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
is this pump something most guys change when doing a build? and not trying to sound stupid whats the reasoning?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Changing the pump is one of those "while I'm in here" type decisions. Though Curtis's oil pump is a little over the top for most builds, it is hard to argue with too much oil pressure or volume.

I am machining myself a pop off to dump some pressure pre-filter. When cold, the thick oil spikes the feed side way over 100 PSI on a cool morning. I forgot to take it easy one morning a split the stock filter. Ironically I was starting the truck to pull it into the garage to put on the higher pressure filter I had bought the night before.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I think Maxlly had to remove a shim from his.

Mike I have zero shims,I am going to fix up a relief valve from a stock lb7
and dimple the ports on 2 of them so that it will relieve earlier.....Atleast untill the motor is broke in.

is this pump something most guys change when doing a build? and not trying to sound stupid whats the reasoning?

The DPR billet pump was swapped on my truck:) I love the pump comaperd to a stock high mileage 01 pump

01 pumps are no longer availible AFAIK because the right hand thread
so they where superceeded by newer GM pumps ( left handed)

Changing the pump is one of those "while I'm in here" type decisions. Though Curtis's oil pump is a little over the top for most builds, it is hard to argue with too much oil pressure or volume.

I am machining myself a pop off to dump some pressure pre-filter. When cold, the thick oil spikes the feed side way over 100 PSI on a cool morning. I forgot to take it easy one morning a split the stock filter. Ironically I was starting the truck to pull it into the garage to put on the higher pressure filter I had bought the night before.

I would of been happy to just split a filter:( That was a 400.00 dollar fix in gaskets and bolts......Never mind the hrs to pull the T-case,trans front diff & rear cover/oil cooler.

Im not unhappy with the pump but i see over a 100 psi alot and wonder if i may have blew a seal in my turbo

I tapped and plugged all 3 oil gallery plugs in the back of the block today and put the truck back together....Next is to fix the relief valve:)Atleast for now

FWIW I have pics up tommorow

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

high press oil filter?

I geuss that made for a fast oil drain for the oil change:D

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I though with the testing done a while back with the piston squirters it was though that we had plenty of oil press even on the LBZs? 100PSI damn.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Well it worked out they are no longer leaking:D And I managed to drop 20 psi off my cold starts and idle, I might lower it some more untill the motor is broke in.:baby:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Oblong 2 of the 4 holes 80 thousandths it helped alot also took 30 thou out of the end cap for the spring

It doesnt spike as much or as fast and seem alot better for now

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Here are some pics of the plugs....Really need to pay attention to the bottom hole on the driver side to make sure it wouldnt block off the oil going to the squirter
I got the machinest to make the plug as shallow as possible and still be able to install them....Sucks I had to do this right after i put it all together,I never chance something so simple like that again.
attachment.php

Attachments

• snake oil 008 (Large).jpg
    snake oil 008 (Large).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 139
  • snake oil 009 (Large).jpg
    snake oil 009 (Large).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 61