No boost!

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
If you take the piping off the turbo the boost is going to go to the atmosphere and will not show up on your gauge.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i think he means that he took the boost tube off And with the hood open power braked it to see if he could hear/feel anything out of the turbo. I dont think he meant that he took the boost tube off then took it for a ride to see if it built any boost.

REDHOSS02

hard n heavy
Jan 14, 2009
F U im from TEXAS
i wasnt building any boost at all driving down the road. so i pulled it into the shop and pulled the boost tube off and power braked it and put my hand over the outlet side of the turbo and it wasnt boosting at all. so i then took the intake tube off coming from the filter and i could see the prop spinning but it wouldnt build any boost.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
sorry I misread, Im gonna say the old turbo probibly had a bad seal and was leaking boost and oil

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Sorry, I got a stupid question to ask you.

How did YOU powerbrake the unit and also check to see if the turbo was blowing air?

Sounds a bit risky to me haha.

Was it smoking savagely while this low boost condition was going on? It should have been. If it wasn't then you got a fueling problem. Even a stock tune will smoke if you loose an intercooler tube haha.

Where was the oil sitting? Where did it come from? If you lost oil to the bearing and it got a bit hot it was slowly increase resistance and slow down the turbo until it seized up. Its possible there wouldn't be much play in the shaft either because afterwards its going to be pretty well melted in there.

LB7 stock turbo is an IHI right? Maybe check them out or give a local dealer a call too see if they have rebuild kits.

REDHOSS02

hard n heavy
Jan 14, 2009
F U im from TEXAS
sorry, i got a stupid question to ask you.

How did you powerbrake the unit and also check to see if the turbo was blowing air? not by myself

sounds a bit risky to me haha.

Was it smoking savagely while this low boost condition was going on? It should have been. If it wasn't then you got a fueling problem. Even a stock tune will smoke if you loose an intercooler tube haha. yes alot of smoke

where was the oil sitting? Where did it come from? If you lost oil to the bearing and it got a bit hot it was slowly increase resistance and slow down the turbo until it seized up. Its possible there wouldn't be much play in the shaft either because afterwards its going to be pretty well melted in there. it was coming from the charge side of the turbo (outlet going to ic) it was running down the boost tube to the ic!

lb7 stock turbo is an ihi right? Maybe check them out or give a local dealer a call too see if they have rebuild kits.
sounds expensive

YES IHI

Last edited:

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
If oil leaked from the bearing past the shaft and into the compressor you've definetly got issues. I would venture to say that your bearing started seizing up and you got some metal flow in there and it distorted the bearing/housing and thats how the oil got out.

... you might be able to put a whole new cartridge in those things for fairly cheap. I'm not sure. I've got a perfectly good one sitting in the garage but I don't know how they come apart.

Want to buy it? Came off an 02 with 60,000km on it. It was a pilot vehicle that got damaged hitting the ditch or rolling over.

Last edited: