Nitrous for dummies?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
At the risk of sounding stupid , what did the largest jets of NOS do to your turbo ? Did it over speed it ? Did the wheel make contact? Please elaborate. I have yet to make a nitrous run . But I will soon .I'm only running a .125 right before the Y bridge . My setup already spools very quick . I obviously don't want the same carnage as you . So if I can learn from you I would appreciate. Thanks

Turbine wheel exploded and pushed the compressor wheel against the cover. Drive pressure got to high. Both wheels made contact with their housing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
More balls than me. Step it down or your turbo will 60 foot harder than your truck haha

That is the plan. Much smaller jets will be used at the track, probably just one stage instead of both. At the track I think my trans will be the weak point.. no billet parts, just a 4 year old Gmax kit in it I thought for sure it would have shit itself on the loaded dyno but it lived another day I guess.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Dynos are pretty easy on the trans. The hard parts get their biggest beating during shifts, and unless you are doing something wrong, you shouldn't get a full-power shift on the dyno.

I suppose with enough torque you could twist something, but a mild tie-up during a shift on the street will put way more stress on things than your peak torque, since it has the motor at full power on one end, and all the mass of the truck turning the other end. Mess up that timing, and bad things happen... been there, done that. Have the parts on my desk to prove it :spit:

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
That is the plan. Much smaller jets will be used at the track, probably just one stage instead of both. At the track I think my trans will be the weak point.. no billet parts, just a 4 year old Gmax kit in it I thought for sure it would have shit itself on the loaded dyno but it lived another day I guess.

A progresser will help with the big shots. Rather than the motor seeing it all at once.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Let's say I get my dual fuelers on over the winter and throw some nitrous on my stock turbo lly. How much is safe to run with the stock turbo? This is with 45 over nozzles.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I oversped a 4094 with a 150 shot but I was running dual fuelers, 60s and the tune wasn't perfect at the time. I would think you could throw a hundred horse at it and be ok.
EDIT: Nothing above stock is "safe" haha

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I oversped a 4094 with a 150 shot but I was running dual fuelers, 60s and the tune wasn't perfect at the time. I would think you could throw a hundred horse at it and be ok.
EDIT: Nothing above stock is "safe" haha

Lol yeah especially on a stock engine. I do better learning the hard way

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Lol yeah especially on a stock engine. I do better learning the hard way

I would be curious to see how the nitrous works out in a stick truck. I'm assuming you would need to run a wide open throttle switch instead of screwing with a button. Your wide open shifting might have some interesting results on the bottle lol

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Let's say I get my dual fuelers on over the winter and throw some nitrous on my stock turbo lly. How much is safe to run with the stock turbo? This is with 45 over nozzles.

Id keep it around .030-.046 range. Maybe put it on a button and not use it until in 6th. Spraying while shifting WOT might not yield good results without a gate and rev limiter.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Id keep it around .030-.046 range. Maybe put it on a button and not use it until in 6th. Spraying while shifting WOT might not yield good results without a gate and rev limiter.

Yes wot shifting would be a sure way to grenade it unless I wired it to shut off when the clutch got kicked between gears. Which might be doable. I probably couldn't keep up with a button either every gear unless I just sprayed in 5th and 6th.