Nitrous for dummies?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
ZEX is fine

You should be good with a small kit. I would up the shift points a few hundred rpm to help the rods a little. I don't pull any timing on nitrous.

yamaha537

May 26, 2011
New Jersey
You should be good with a small kit. I would up the shift points a few hundred rpm to help the rods a little. I don't pull any timing on nitrous.

Yeah I'm planning on only spraying high in the RPM range. I'd like to try and keep my rods inside the block. I was just hoping to get into a 11.xx I'm going to keep the pill small. From what I have read that ZEX set up should do what I want with a little room for growth down the line.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
So quick question. Is there a reason to not get a large solenoid and then limit the spray by the jet size? That way I'll always have something to grow into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I always ran a .125 noid with it jetted down.

On my lb7 I had a WOT .077 jet. On my factory horn relay I had a .054. I only ran my WOT I never had the balls to run both. Don't think the turbo would like it ungated.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just ask my questions in this one, there is a lot of good info in here already.

Im looking into running a small shot on my stock motor.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ZEX-Nitrous/243/82028/10002/-1

They have another NOS brand kit that looks similar but ive heard good reviews on ZEX

that is the kit I am looking at right now, Am I in the ball park of what is needed? Id just run a momentary switch so I can hit it exactly when I want.

I talked to my tuner and he said no need to pull timing back on diesels which ive heard mixed opinions on.

How much do you plan on spraying? Big shots should be limited to no more than 30° @ 3000rpm.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I always ran a .125 noid with it jetted down.

On my lb7 I had a WOT .077 jet. On my factory horn relay I had a .054. I only ran my WOT I never had the balls to run both. Don't think the turbo would like it ungated.

Is that all you used for your 10 second passes? For some reason I thought it would require more. I was thinking of running a small .030 jet for spooling, and then two .054 jets for WOT.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bump, getting spray this next week and am trying to figure out what jets to use. I am thinking a .054 jet and a .090 jet, however my turbo is ungated. Right now it's damn near a 1:1 ratio until I'm WOT and then it's about 55-60psi backpressure to 50psi boost.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Where does everyone place the jet, pre or post intercooler?
If your goal is to remove the most heat possible from the air charge, you would want all your jets post intercooler. At first glance, you could think it won't matter, as the NOS expanding removes a fixed amount of heat (which is true), but the intercooler doesn't. The hotter the air coming into the intercooler (really the higher the delta over ambient), the more efficient the intercooler is, and the more heat it removes.

So for that reason, I'd put all the jets post-intercooler to remove the maximum amount of heat.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
If your goal is to remove the most heat possible from the air charge, you would want all your jets post intercooler. At first glance, you could think it won't matter, as the NOS expanding removes a fixed amount of heat (which is true), but the intercooler doesn't. The hotter the air coming into the intercooler (really the higher the delta over ambient), the more efficient the intercooler is, and the more heat it removes.

So for that reason, I'd put all the jets post-intercooler to remove the maximum amount of heat.

This.

joegorby

Apr 12, 2012
Washington Pa

Thank's for the reply! I only have one jet and I put it right before the y-bridge. Just wanted to see if everyone else had theirs setup the same way as mine.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ended up getting my spray installed yesterday. Dynoed late and made 700's on fuel, and then a ..070 and .136 shot put me at 1057hp.
Dynoed again today with a .110 and the .136 jet. Needless to say the turbo didn't like it, but still put out 1164hp.
9401e77395e42b5a1e5f4e1739eada4f.jpg

I am hooked. Time time to put in some smaller jets and take it to the track!
01649be5bde97a8e563309170451d9d7.jpg

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
At the risk of sounding stupid , what did the largest jets of NOS do to your turbo ? Did it over speed it ? Did the wheel make contact? Please elaborate. I have yet to make a nitrous run . But I will soon .I'm only running a .125 right before the Y bridge . My setup already spools very quick . I obviously don't want the same carnage as you . So if I can learn from you I would appreciate. Thanks

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
At the risk of sounding stupid , what did the largest jets of NOS do to your turbo ? Did it over speed it ? Did the wheel make contact? Please elaborate. I have yet to make a nitrous run . But I will soon .I'm only running a .125 right before the Y bridge . My setup already spools very quick . I obviously don't want the same carnage as you . So if I can learn from you I would appreciate. Thanks
over speed and made contact.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Kinda what I thought but wasn't positive. Is it a guessing game as far as knowing how much NOS is safe ? Do the bearings give out from the over speed ?