Nitrous for dummies?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
You'll want to make sure you are off the spray before letting off for a shift. How long you have to stay off really depends on where your nozzle is.

Cknight is that an S472 you are running? How much boost were you making?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
how far does your pedal have to go for the clutch switch to close/open so the truck will start? if you wire it in so that switch becomes a secondary switch so when you kick the clutch it cuts the nitrous, you can keep your hand on the button.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
how far does your pedal have to go for the clutch switch to close/open so the truck will start? if you wire it in so that switch becomes a secondary switch so when you kick the clutch it cuts the nitrous, you can keep your hand on the button.

I was gonna wire in a seperate wobble switch

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
My clutch has to basically be on the floor to trip the clutch switch. I have a switch that has a plastic wobble stick on a spring that can be wired normally open or closed I was gonna rig to the pedal assembly. That way I could have the n20 disengage before any pressure is engaged on the clutch, and then wouldn't spray until the clutch was back all the way engaged.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
As long as the truck defuels during shifts. I dont see an issue with constant spray. The heads will be too hot and your shot, most likely, will be too small to worry about bursting.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
As long as the truck defuels during shifts. I dont see an issue with constant spray. The heads will be too hot and your shot, most likely, will be too small to worry about bursting.

It doesn't defuel during shifts just because I hold it to the floor while shifting. Just to keep from loosing turbo spool and boost. I was trying to figure out a way to make my staging limiter a throttle cut, to keep it from revving to the moon. Whatever a gasser stick car does would probably work for what I'm doing. I probably wouldn't spray it til I hit 4th at least.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
You can use a two way switch. First being the wot switch. Second being a button on the stick that turns off the nitrous as you shift.
Edit: you can always use a window switch off the wot.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
You can use a two way switch. First being the wot switch. Second being a button on the stick that turns off the nitrous as you shift.
Edit: you can always use a window switch off the wot.

Yeah from what I'm reading a wot switch and a window switch would work. What's the more common kits used on these trucks? A window switch would probably also help me from running up the rpms higher than I have to, which I'm bad about doing. When the power falls off just bang the next gear. I'll definitely need taller gears and or tires with any more power.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Yeah from what I'm reading a wot switch and a window switch would work. What's the more common kits used on these trucks? A window switch would probably also help me from running up the rpms higher than I have to, which I'm bad about doing. When the power falls off just bang the next gear. I'll definitely need taller gears and or tires with any more power.

Id say your tire size, stock or smaller, is fine with your mph. But Ive never ran a kit. I know zex makes a nice kit, but pricy. I think a small solenoid is best with stock turbo. You can start with a small jet and move your way up to no jet. Just make sure your waste gate is tuned well and watch back pressure.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I agree but I'm planning on throwing on the dual fuelers and a small shot at first so if i gain any mph I think I'm gonna be over revving in 6th. I just have to decide if I want that button to engage it or a 2 switch setup. I'm thinking maybe just a simple setup at first and see what happends. Thanks for the info

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Anybody running spray bars in the intake manifolds? I'm getting ready to install a set on my Caddy, got to thinking...why not on the dmax too?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Anybody running spray bars in the intake manifolds? I'm getting ready to install a set on my Caddy, got to thinking...why not on the dmax too?

Unless you are running a ton of spray I can't see the benefit. Since air fuel ratio isn't so important with a diesel it wouldn't make the difference it does in a gas motor.

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Makes sense, but I was wondering as much from the cooling standpoint as the mixture distribution. Guess it really doesn't matter as much at the kind of boost we're running though...

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
The reason we dont use spray bars is the same reason ckKnight had an issue with, overspeeding turbo. Lots of people run huge amounts of direct port injection but have a spooling jet sprayed first. Multiple small jets/stages seem to keep shit from breaking.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Just read all this thread in about half an hour. I already had a splitting beaches. But now I want nitrous. Imma blow the f out if this thing