Nitorus and the diesel

joesixpack

Jan 17, 2011
Its a port injection system. Each runner has its own nozzle and one didn't get a pill. Needless to say, the port that didn't have the pill lined up to the piston that had its ass kicked.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
I see

It's still a single plenum. They all (8 cylinders) share from the same place. Also the jet makes the seal at the nozzle. If it didn't have a jet there would have been a big leak at the nozzle. You would have lost a lot of the nitrous to the outside. With his 50 pounds of boost that would have also been leaking out a little. You are on the low pressure side of the noid so I'm betting most of the nitrous was blowing into the breeze. Fuel burns them up as you already know.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Sting is right, single plenum will always allow nitrous to go where it wants to go, boost or not, 50 psi is nothing to 950 psi....

The cylinder failed due to injector itself or tune. Nitrous will only work where there is fuel for it to act as the catalyst it is! If not enough heat from fuel it puts the fire out.

joesixpack

Jan 17, 2011
They all share from the same place but 95% of the 90% that hole was getting would go to that port. That nozzle is still the path of least resistance. Wide open nozzle compared to some really small pills.

The unfortunate part is the logs said it all. That cylinder went colder than the rest in the logs from the excess nitrous to full on hot when it got on top of it.

LOL IT HAD FUEL!!! Nothing was wrong with the tune or the injectors. This piston failed in the hole that was missing its pill, whole noid to that hole!

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
1900 egt is nothing to fail a piston. Wade has logs over 2200 and no piston failures. I'd be looking closer at your combo, than assuming it's the nitrous that caused the failed cylinder.

Btw full noid on one bore would surely snuff the flame out that cylinder, no question.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
for the rest of you that would like to see what I am doing here in my manifold .
You will nitice that each cylinder has a nozzle that can be jetted individually. There is two separate systems on the manifold , If you will look close you will see that each cylinder has a nozzle from the top of the rail and one from the bottom of the rail. Each is fed by its on solenoid. There is also a system in the hood scoop , that dumps in to the two turbo's.

If you do not put a jet in and individual nozzle , the system still seals. Not sure how a single nozzle was left with out a pill. That system was not even programed to ramp in. The wiring takes the ground wire of each system to the terminal block . Each of the 3 systems also have a RPM data logger digital wire to show the progression on data logs.

This system due to a fubar was inadvertently mixed with system 1 which was a boost reference progressive spool stage. This stage comes on 10% at 1 PSI boost and ramps to 100% at 20 PSI. If you ramp in a spool stage that is evenly jetted , It will kill the motor due to dropping the intake air temps to low. When one jet was left out , you get the piston in the picture.

I switched to Exergy due to the need for a precision high quality injector when we switched to the NIRA ECM .

263569_203252903061046_100001290140704_611115_5015295_n_zpsdw1harwt.jpg

Last edited:

joesixpack

Jan 17, 2011
1900 egt is nothing to fail a piston. Wade has logs over 2200 and no piston failures. I'd be looking closer at your combo, than assuming it's the nitrous that caused the failed cylinder.

Btw full noid on one bore would surely snuff the flame out that cylinder, no question.

Yeah a good look at the combo showed one port didn't have a pill. Yeah the same port that fed the cylinder that turned the piston into a marsh mellow. Jesus.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
thanks for answering my question greg, I was misunderstanding what you meant by missing a jet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho

Yeah a good look at the combo showed one port didn't have a pill. Yeah the same port that fed the cylinder that turned the piston into a marsh mellow. Jesus.

Chris, I'm not sure if you know, but Dave C is Wade from CompD. Might help you communicate more effectively. Or at least understand why it doesn't work.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
Anytime CaptPhil. Progressive nitrous is somthing I totaly belive in. I still get many tech calls , long after NX quit forwarding all of their diesel calls to me. This is the best way to effectively spool big chargers. I just laid out a single stage Progressive controler systems flow chart that will not required a PC to program for an elictronics company. They were projecting it to be available this spring .

I will continue to push the envelope. on diesels nitrous.

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Still the same

That looks like a std flare jet fitting and it does make the seal. No jet no seal no matter how tight you get it. There has to be a jet for the flare inside the fitting to seal against. It's a open plenum so the nitrous is still going everywhere. Not just on hole. If it was full bore in that hole it still has to have extra fuel to burn.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Chris, I'm not sure if you know, but Dave C is Wade from CompD. Might help you communicate more effectively. Or at least understand why it doesn't work.

What part of employee don't you understand?

I might not fully understand how it all works, but I work for a guy who has proven to know enough to make the record books, and I'm learning it. Not afraid to say that.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
Its not a standard flare jet fitting , it will seal. Without a jet . But continue to blame it on tuning , injectors or the fairy @$%# godmother did it .

The sky is blue ,

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Everybody keeps looking for things to point out and say Greg is an idiot, and he HANDS YOU THIS ON A SILVER PLATTER! Instead of sitting back and laughing at his mistake(which he OPENLY owned up to making and destroying a piston) and calling him whatever for it, a however many page fight ensues saying how it couldn't have caused it to happen so he has to be an even bigger idiot because of it. I mean SERIOUSLY! He hands you his F UP on a silver platter, admits to doing it and it was an oversight, yet instead of running with it you argue saying it couldn't have happened because of it.

Words cannot describe this reasoning.

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
Everybody keeps looking for things to point out and say Greg is an idiot, and he HANDS YOU THIS ON A SILVER PLATTER! Instead of sitting back and laughing at his mistake(which he OPENLY owned up to making and destroying a piston) and calling him whatever for it, a however many page fight ensues saying how it couldn't have caused it to happen so he has to be an even bigger idiot because of it. I mean SERIOUSLY! He hands you his F UP on a silver platter, admits to doing it and it was an oversight, yet instead of running with it you argue saying it couldn't have happened because of it.

Words cannot describe this reasoning.

I couldn't agree more. It's getting beyond ridiculous