New Year's Thrash.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The 2686 is a good one also. The only slow one is the 2684, and it "trips" on itself. You will see your power use fluctuate, as it keeps waiting for some cores to catch up with the others.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I'm not running my two "lunatic fringe" machines right now, but I'll turn them back on shortly. I tried to "improve" one of them, and now it's slower. :( Gosh, this really IS like diesel racing! :D

Maybe I'll call it Paint ... :lildevil:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I'm not running my two "lunatic fringe" machines right now, but I'll turn them back on shortly. I tried to "improve" one of them, and now it's slower. :( Gosh, this really IS like diesel racing! :D

Maybe I'll call it Paint ... :lildevil:

Poor Nick. :D

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Seems we keep a steady march up the ranks, everyone is doing pretty well it seems. I may re-configure my laptop runnin two clients may be doing more harm then good

Yes, looks like we are in the 500's now. :ralph:

What kind of laptop do you have? I've done two uni-processor clients at once on my 1.8mhz dual processor laptop and seem to get a bit higher PPD by doing the SMP jobs with it. None have been over the time preferred deadline but close.... :baby: I do the pass key on this one for the extra bonus points. With the bonus points, it clicks off more overall points but on the daily log, I look purdy well all over the place. 500 to 700 ppd average for this one but I use it pretty regular.

I've got a dual processor AMD desktop 2.4ghz ( advertised anyway ) which does the SMP and the GPU at the same time. I have the GPU set to just over idle and the SMP set to idle. Seems to do all the jobs before preferred deadline ( so far ) and gets better PPD than the laptop. With the SMP, pass phase and of course bonus points, A whopping 13,000 ppd average over 3 to four days and this one is also used regular by someone in the house throughout the day. The GPU takes up some of the would be SMP processor time so the little advantage it has is all but used by the GPU client.

The uni-processor clients ( as Pat mentioned ) can be done thoughout the day or week as the laptop is used but take a more dedicated approach.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
The 2686 is a good one also. The only slow one is the 2684, and it "trips" on itself. You will see your power use fluctuate, as it keeps waiting for some cores to catch up with the others.

Just wondering, I've read and am now under the impression Ghz is mainly the driving force for the WU. What I mean is ie.. 8 processors of the same brand really have there TPF determined by their speed. I wonder, this server is just a file server and used on a limited bases and instead of ditching it from folding, if I could get a couple of faster processors to help insure the preffered deadline is met and forget about it, could it still be a viable since it runs all the time anyway? I'm sure some jobs will come up in the future it won't handle but until then, would it be worth the $200 for the update.

I've decided to build a custome case and psu for the 4 processor board I have since I didn't get the right processors for it. It'll be a project, the four chips are a little high yet.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
That's entirely your call. If you don't make the 4 day preferred deadine, you will end up making ~2k PPD for 4 days straight. If the machine is capable of 7k ppd on SMP, it costs you 20k points.

From the science standpoint, passing the 4 day means the science is harmed because the WU is assigned to another donor. Your results get used, but the other donor has their donation wasted.

Dr. Kasson mentioned vaguely that they really want 3 day machines. But that was based on a WU that no longer exists, so I just go based on the published deadline.

In any case, a 4 day BigAdv machine is a super fast SMP and accelerates the SMP projects. Most SMP jobs are run on 2 or 4 core consumer desktops, and even an older 8 core will smoke them.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Yes, looks like we are in the 500's now. :ralph:

What kind of laptop do you have? I've done two uni-processor clients at once on my 1.8mhz dual processor laptop and seem to get a bit higher PPD by doing the SMP jobs with it. None have been over the time preferred deadline but close.... :baby: I do the pass key on this one for the extra bonus points. With the bonus points, it clicks off more overall points but on the daily log, I look purdy well all over the place. 500 to 700 ppd average for this one but I use it pretty regular.

I've got a dual processor AMD desktop 2.4ghz ( advertised anyway ) which does the SMP and the GPU at the same time. I have the GPU set to just over idle and the SMP set to idle. Seems to do all the jobs before preferred deadline ( so far ) and gets better PPD than the laptop. With the SMP, pass phase and of course bonus points, A whopping 13,000 ppd average over 3 to four days and this one is also used regular by someone in the house throughout the day. The GPU takes up some of the would be SMP processor time so the little advantage it has is all but used by the GPU client.

The uni-processor clients ( as Pat mentioned ) can be done thoughout the day or week as the laptop is used but take a more dedicated approach.

My laptop is a dual core 500gig 2.4 ghz. I think I have a poor setup right now I am going to do a remove and reload on it here this week and see what it can do. My office computers are Dell optiplex dual quads that all I know about them. dad ordered them last year got a great deal on them. And they seem very capable I am not a computer guy guy by any means. But I know enuff to geto n the forum

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Has DuramaxDiesels been overtaken by any other team to this point? I see Geeks of PC are just over 39,000 points away from taking us. :(

Pat, that Crayz3 machine is packing a huge punch. Nice.... :thumb:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX

You're right. I got a 2684 and literally had minutes to spare in the end. Not worth the risk of not finishing on time. I've removed the -bigadv flag from that machine and gone to smp work. Even that work is not so good on the 8 cores. ~4:50 minutes tpf. I'll wait till I get a better machine together to try the -bigadv stuff again. It will be a while though.

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
Hey Mike,

Did you ever get your processor/motherboard problems figured out?

I have the itch BAD to buy a server but I am trying to hold off until Bulldozer is released and prices drop.

I found these while surfing. $79 OBO with free shipping. Offer $120 for 2 and see what the counter offer is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/160528335418

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Hey Mike,

Did you ever get your processor/motherboard problems figured out?

I have the itch BAD to buy a server but I am trying to hold off until Bulldozer is released and prices drop.

I found these while surfing. $79 OBO with free shipping. Offer $120 for 2 and see what the counter offer is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/160528335418

Those are the processors I have in my server at the moment. I also have the 2352 opterons but both are just a bit slow for -bigadv WU's. The 2352's are just too slow for -bigadv.

I will be going with the 8393 processors and have plans to finish the one server with them I have started building. These will work in place of the 2356's and will be 800mhz faster plus the 8300's are a faster bus speed ( or on chip memory transfer speed [ maybe if I remember right ]).

I found my build did not include enough " Home Work " my 2356's can only be used in pairs and will not work in a 4p board and up to an 8p board. So, 8356's at the least will be required to finish the board but as I mentioned, I will be using the 8393's.

Just curious, do you already have parts to build a server?

* edit * I should have added a set of 2.4ghz processors would be a minimum if I were to do it again.

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I'm still plugging away with my old tech, if I get time I will be gettin the other comps in the office chuggin

39 WU's combined need more power

When you get a chance, post machine specs as you add them. I think more folks would be online with f@h if they knew there machines would work. As our list grows, it will be easy for us to get an idea of what to expect from our own computers. Thanks :thumb: