New Truck Considerations

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
So im getting a new HD truck and currently looking at ram, gm, and ford from 2016 to 2017. All are nice no doubt but looking at potentially modding for more hp around 650 to be exact, Im not sure if there is a clear cut truck that is better to start with. Of course I am leaning towards gm but is the new 6.7 powerstroke any better?

I know the dodge transmission is a weak point and expensive to build, not thrilled about that. Ford and gm seem to have the best trans to start with. Not sure which fuel stock fuel systems/turbos support the most power from the factory either.

Any input is appreciated. I haven't found much info.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Yes pretty sure need check with Spartan first though

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

NRA223

May 20, 2015
It would probably be easiest to get 600 out of the powerstroke, but will it stay together?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've got buddies with them, there beat on regularly pulling big boats to Florida. Still ticking and going strong, they are all done by Rudy. I just can't bring myself to buy one...

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I like the Powerstrokes and it doesn't take much to make the newer ones run. I was a Ford guy for a long time, had several Mustangs. I just hear horror stories of problem after problem. River City Diesel is right down the road form me though...

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I like the Powerstrokes and it doesn't take much to make the newer ones run. I was a Ford guy for a long time, had several Mustangs. I just hear horror stories of problem after problem. River City Diesel is right down the road form me though...

I would be more comfortable with RCD right down the street too lol

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Have the rods changed in the 6.7 powerstrokes? I had an 11 model I bent a rod in...

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My take on the big three

Ford
Cab = ok
Engine = ok (may be good. 6.7 is much better than the 6.0 & 6.4)
Transmission = ok (great in stock form, big $$$ to repair or build up)

Ram
Cab = ok (i do like the exterior looks of the later years)
Engine = good (seems all years and sizes have a good reputation)
Transmission = bad (the aisin transmission is better but it is no Allison)

GM
Cab = ok (better in the last few years)
Engine = good
Transmission = good

for me, the GM make the most sense. easy to make good power with, great in stock form. has always been able to keep up or beat the other two with a lower (on paper) HP/Torque ratings

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Here's the way I see it. If your dad drove a GM then you probably drive a GM. If your dad drove a Dodge then you probably drive a Dodge. If your dad drove a Ford then you probably have 2 dads and Mothers day isn't celebrated in your house. GM is the only way!

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
My take on the big three

Ford
Cab = ok
Engine = ok (may be good. 6.7 is much better than the 6.0 & 6.4)
Transmission = ok (great in stock form, big $$$ to repair or build up)

Ram
Cab = ok (i do like the exterior looks of the later years)
Engine = good (seems all years and sizes have a good reputation)
Transmission = bad (the aisin transmission is better but it is no Allison)

GM
Cab = ok (better in the last few years)
Engine = good
Transmission = good

for me, the GM make the most sense. easy to make good power with, great in stock form. has always been able to keep up or beat the other two with a lower (on paper) HP/Torque ratings

I thought the ford transmission was just as good as the Allison?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I really like my Cummins for towing and generally a good truck, first Cummins I've had. As stated I'm not a fan of the Trans but pick your poison. I average better unloaded and towing mpg than any dmax I had to date. I'm a die hard Dmax guy but wanted to try something different. Doesn't mean I'll stick with one. A 75 over stock, stock trans, efi tuning made 605hp on a 15 Cummins with Ryans tuning. Who knows how long the trans will last.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I really like my Cummins for towing and generally a good truck, first Cummins I've had. As stated I'm not a fan of the Trans but pick your poison. I average better unloaded and towing mpg than any dmax I had to date. I'm a die hard Dmax guy but wanted to try something different. Doesn't mean I'll stick with one. A 75 over stock, stock trans, efi tuning made 605hp on a 15 Cummins with Ryans tuning. Who knows how long the trans will last.

Ya I love the motor, simplicity, and mileage of the new cummins trucks. Yours looks great by the way. I would buy one is a heartbeat but looking at 9K for a built 68rfe is going to eat any mileage savings to me.

Thanks for the info though. 605 on a stock trans is really good.