NEW Top 25 Stock rules poll

Do you like the proposed new rules?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Yeah, that makes sense, and I agree with you on the fuel cell. I can go either way on that one. The stripping the interior thing is such a lame excuse though. Anyone who really cares can strip all the stuff out of the inside of their truck in just a couple of hours, and it can all be put back in after they're done. It isn't permanent.

I def agree with u. Heck I can get my backseat out in about 5 mins now. I hope everything gets lined out and we can have a list again.

dieseltwodoor

Apr 13, 2010
Alberta
I say no to head studs. If you are increasing the holding potential of the heads, that is getting away from stock motor.
As far as weight reduction, I say cut away. This is not meant to be a list for every average guy to have a special place. My understanding is that the list is to push the limits of the stock motor/turbo/head bolts/stock internals.

I know you're cheating, because I'm cheating and you're beating me...

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
I hope we keep the upgraded tranny.slot of these trannies crap out and when it comes to rebuild time,no brained to put the upgrades in.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
The motor must remain stock, meaning nothing can be done to it. It must be completely stock in both form and function. If you want to put an LBZ motor in your LB7 so you can get better rods, that is fine, but you have to do it with LBZ pistons. No swapping internal parts between motors is allowed. Crank, pistons, rods, bolts (even head bolts, meaning no head studs allowed), balancer, cam, heads, valves, valve springs, etc. must all be stock parts. head studs should be allowed

Weight reduction is allowed, but all exterior body panels and glass must remain intact (if your truck was ordered with a box delete or as a cab and chassis, you must have a flat bed on it). Also, all factory safety equipment must still be installed (including front bumper) and working, and the HVAC system (the parts behind the dash and under the hood) must remain fully intact. The frame must remain complete and unaltered (welding brackets to the frame is allowed, but no cutting is allowed). should be a minimum weight & AC delete allowed

Fuel cells and battery relocation is allowed. stock tank & forward of the firewall

No restrictions on interior modifications as long as it doesn't break any other rules. should be limited to seats and/or consoles

Aftermarket air intakes, intercooler, and intercooler tubes is allowed. not crazy about the aftermarket intercoolers but not really a power adder

Aftermarket manifolds, up pipes, and EGR deletes are allowed. Aftermarket exhaust is also allowed.no hoodstacks or any other exhaust exiting forward of the cab

my thoughts

ds19

Nov 6, 2012
Connersville IN
A stock truck should have stock transmission. If your going to allow built transmission you should also allow turbo and fuel mods.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
my thoughts
I agree!

A stock truck should have stock transmission. If your going to allow built transmission you should also allow turbo and fuel mods.

The biggest problem leaving the tranny stock is that a big tune can take it out with no other mods.

I also think swapping parts from year to year should be allowed. It's all OEM stuff. I can go either way on the head studs, but we did not have them on our truck and we ran 11.60's on the bottle.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Good job Josh I think your list is good. A couple of points. Without a built tranny this whole exercise is a waste of time. My first dmax my 02 CCSB I put a Quadzilla in it and limped it first time I tried the 120 tune. This whole thing if you really mean stock will boil down to weight and suspension. With a stock CP3 and regulatot you will only be able to get so much out if these trucks and cheating will be easy to spot since the times and PH will be very close on all the top trucks. A work truck LBZ 2x4 with a light aluminum flat bed would be my choice. :thumb::D I think 5000 lbs wouldn't be that difficult to obtain.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Someone give me a good reason for a minimum weight because I see none. I also see no good reason why a person shouldn't be allowed to "gut" the interior to shave a little weight. Like I said earlier, I can go either way on the fuel cell, and I meant to put the exhaust exiting rearward of the cab, but I forgot that one too. Head studs are a touchy one because so many guys blow head gaskets without many modifications and replace the bolts with studs when they get them fixed, and at the same time there are guys running twins and 650 or so HP with stock head bolts without a problem. The stock head bolts are proven to hold up to a lot of power, but they are also a significant upgrade to the engine.

Once this poll is done, I'll look at the results and we can single out a few of the more controversial aspects to discuss and vote on.

Thanks everyone so far for all of your input.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Headers have been one of the hot rodders best friends forever.;)

I could live with the seats being removed except for the stock drivers seat, but a full interior gut is NOT a daily driver pickup.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Headers have been one of the hot rodders best friends forever.;)

I could live with the seats being removed except for the stock drivers seat, but a full interior gut is NOT a daily driver pickup.

No one says it has to stay that way. It's pretty easy to remove stuff and then put it back in after you're done racing.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Josh, no matter how hard you try you will never convince me that gutting an interior on a daily driver is OK. It's not that easy either. Removing the tailgate is easy. Dropping the spare is a pain, but doable. Unbolting the back seat and pass side seats are borderline. Removing door panels, carpet, radio, ...... is not something that anyone should do on a daily driver.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
IMO put the weight reduction to bed already. If someone wants to strip it down like Josh said what are you gaining in weight lose? If your going to piss and moan about that how can you even consider a regular cab and a crew cab on the same list? I mean really seriously?

It would ONLY be right that a guy with a ext cab or a crew cab unbolt his seats if he wants! I am talking interior you have the exterior covered.

The head studs again regardless that they can allow additional holding capacity you'll never get there anyway with stock internals of the engine. Anyone that has popped a LB7 HG I'll bet didn't put stock studs back in. I say let them be allowed.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Josh, no matter how hard you try you will never convince me that gutting an interior on a daily driver is OK. It's not that easy either. Removing the tailgate is easy. Dropping the spare is a pain, but doable. Unbolting the back seat and pass side seats are borderline. Removing door panels, carpet, radio, ...... is not something that anyone should do on a daily driver.
First of all, this list is not a "daily driver" list. I stated what I felt this list should be about. Secondly, it is that easy to strip the interior of your truck. I've done it. I could easily do it by myself in about 3 hours with hand tool and less if I used air and/or power tools. Like Mack said, if RC/EC/CC are all going to be on the same list, weight reduction will have to be part of it for the heavier trucks to even stand a chance at making it. This is one of the few things I will really fight for, but I am open to have my mind changed by a good argument. Unfortunately, the daily drive argument doesn't hold water for me.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I agree thats like saying those with a Regular cab have to add seats to make it fare! :D

The ONLY argument and I mean THE only argument that someone could present is under the other rules of being street legal is it without a passenger seat?

So it depends on race day when you are at the lights everything in on or off THE TRUCK it must it be street legal?

Well not if the passenger side headlight is out ,out with the passenger seat! :roflmao:

I'm just saying. I don't know what the laws are or how much you want to push street legal nor am I trying to make this difficult!

You could simply say must have driver and passenger seat or leave it alone.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
First of all, this list is not a "daily driver" list. I stated what I felt this list should be about. Secondly, it is that easy to strip the interior of your truck. I've done it. I could easily do it by myself in about 3 hours with hand tool and less if I used air and/or power tools. Like Mack said, if RC/EC/CC are all going to be on the same list, weight reduction will have to be part of it for the heavier trucks to even stand a chance at making it. This is one of the few things I will really fight for, but I am open to have my mind changed by a good argument. Unfortunately, the daily drive argument doesn't hold water for me.

So this is not the members list now, it's Josh's? It's not a daily driver list anymore? I must have missed those posts. ;)

Driving a truck at the track with the interior stripped out is unsafe and gives our trucks a bad reputation. If this is what you see when you're driving around you might be a redneck! :roflmao:

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So this is not the members list now, it's Josh's? It's not a daily driver list anymore? I must have missed those posts. ;)

Driving a truck at the track with the interior stripped out is unsafe and gives our trucks a bad reputation. If this is what you see when you're driving around you might be a redneck! :roflmao:

No, it is and always has been the members' list, and if enough of them want to change it, that's what will happen. What I'm saying is I will fight for what I think it should be (just like I encourage everyone else to do), but whatever the majority wants is the way it will be. If I get out voted on anything, I'm not going to stick with what I want.

It never was a daily driver list. That's what your list is, remember? You said that's what it was, and I said, in that case, that I would start a new list. I don't see the interior being stripped as a safety issue. I drove the van with a stripped interior (much more so that would be allowed on this list under the current rules) all year, and I am happy to say I am injury free. :D

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
All those sharp edges and holes are just waiting to hurt someone in an accident whether you agree or not.

I'd say the gutted interior part and the fuel cell have both been argued enough to warrant a separate vote.

Smokum

May 21, 2010

You know what I don't understand is why you keep bitching about the weight arguement. In the last Top 25 list, there were no rules about it and seeing as you said you were the "creator" of the list, you didn't think some of the trucks on it should be allowed. Lots of arguements followed and ultimately it was suggested someone should make a new list with their own rules set up ahead of time so there was no controversy. Seems to me that is exactly what Josh is doing, and you continue to make the same arguements now with this list. I'm not saying you shouldn't get to voice your opinion or that your opinion doesn't matter. I have a lot of respect for what you have contributed to the DMax community. What I am saying is that at this point you are beating a dead horse. The main reason this list is getting started is b/c of weight reduction. So, for everyones sake, please let it go. Your point is understood, but really isn't valid due to the reason this list was created.

With that said, I vote no to the current rules, as I think head studs should be allowed and the exhaust behind the cab rules needs to be added. Otherwise let'er rip!

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
You know what I don't understand is why you keep bitching about the weight arguement. In the last Top 25 list, there were no rules about it and seeing as you said you were the "creator" of the list, you didn't think some of the trucks on it should be allowed. Lots of arguements followed and ultimately it was suggested someone should make a new list with their own rules set up ahead of time so there was no controversy. Seems to me that is exactly what Josh is doing, and you continue to make the same arguements now with this list. I'm not saying you shouldn't get to voice your opinion or that your opinion doesn't matter. I have a lot of respect for what you have contributed to the DMax community. What I am saying is that at this point you are beating a dead horse. The main reason this list is getting started is b/c of weight reduction. So, for everyones sake, please let it go. Your point is understood, but really isn't valid due to the reason this list was created.

With that said, I vote no to the current rules, as I think head studs should be allowed and the exhaust behind the cab rules needs to be added. Otherwise let'er rip!

I'm not arguing against the weight reduction. I just don't think we should make our trucks look like shit to get there. I am extremely vested in this list as I plan to be in it, but I want the rules to be reasonable to the quality of the vehicle we are competing in. Besides that I think they are unsafe and look like shit with the upholstery out.