new rebuilt trans wont shift into 2nd

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would start by pulling the valve-body. Make sure all the valves are free, and then be very careful to not over-torque the bolts when you re-assemble it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
He installed new C5 clutches and the steels were thicker causing the C5 to lock up in the appliied position. He went back in and replaced a few steels with thinner ones and solved the problem.:D

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Glad he got it fixed, I commend those who do there own trany work, but this is why someone way smarter than me puts there hands in my tranny.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The thing is the Allison is like no other transmission inside like you've seen. Pretty simple which has made transmission rebuilders out of many but it is VERY easy to make a simple mistake by not rechecking your work. That and buying your parts from a reputable individual so you end up with a clutch pack that gives you the proper specs.

It never hurts to check the clearance although which can save you hours of time.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Hey guys, i already put this on the other forum so if your reading it twice sorry about that. Me and a buddy rebuilt his tranny wth red eagle clutches, transgo kit, complete seal kit and torqe converter. When we got it all together it seem to be working good on the lift, but it will not shift into 2nd gear. When you try to go through the gears out in the driveway it does good in first but when it hits second it locks the tires up solid. Im not sure about any of the other gears becuase it wont go past second. Im really not sure where to go on this one, I ohm tested all the solenoids and they checked out, the clutch packs were all in spec and checked twice over, there is no clutchs that were friction to friction or disk to disk. When i did the transgo kit i followed the directions right to a T so i dont really think i screwed up on drilling. I just dont know where to check now. any one got any suggestions?

This is why you ignore everything someone tells you when you are trying to diagnose there problem. Or at the very least, take it with a grain of salt....

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This is why you ignore everything someone tells you when you are trying to diagnose there problem. Or at the very least, take it with a grain of salt....

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. I listened to the guy, who was not a customer and helped him solve his problem.
I guess if you built a couple of Allisons and got lucky, and they worked, you could say you know it all and tell the poor guy with the problem that he is full of shit.
There is more knowledge and info to be had by listening then talking.