new rebuilt trans wont shift into 2nd

mack attack

Oct 3, 2010
maine
Hey guys, i already put this on the other forum so if your reading it twice sorry about that. Me and a buddy rebuilt his tranny wth red eagle clutches, transgo kit, complete seal kit and torqe converter. When we got it all together it seem to be working good on the lift, but it will not shift into 2nd gear. When you try to go through the gears out in the driveway it does good in first but when it hits second it locks the tires up solid. Im not sure about any of the other gears becuase it wont go past second. Im really not sure where to go on this one, I ohm tested all the solenoids and they checked out, the clutch packs were all in spec and checked twice over, there is no clutchs that were friction to friction or disk to disk. When i did the transgo kit i followed the directions right to a T so i dont really think i screwed up on drilling. I just dont know where to check now. any one got any suggestions?

mack attack

Oct 3, 2010
maine
Man you need to search for codes and post , if its doing this i am sure it has a check engine light:thumb:

It throws just a.bunch of junk codes. Nothing that starts with a p and nothing to do with a.tranny. i just replaced all solenoids and still is messed up. I just dont know

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
did you pull it back out and tear it down ? everyone makes a mistake maybe something you missed ? don't take that the wrong way, but before you take it to someone might be worth starting over step by step

mack attack

Oct 3, 2010
maine
did you pull it back out and tear it down ? everyone makes a mistake maybe something you missed ? don't take that the wrong way, but before you take it to someone might be worth starting over step by step

Haha non taken bud. I am tearing it down oe more time tonight for the last time. This will be the 3rd pull out and tear down and I hope it goes better this time. Tonight will be .long.one

HEEPJEEP

<--- Solid Axle "Leveled"
Mar 26, 2009
NH
Foster Maxwell is in Fryeburg, ME. I think he is "mainer" on here. He has EFILive and built a tranny himself. Try him maybe.

mack attack

Oct 3, 2010
maine
Thanks for the hints guys I will try and get hold of the.guy from Maine I guess. I didnt think anyone from up here built.these. that's why I tackled it myself Haha. I will take it out one more time and see what I find. I will let ya all know.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
This may be a stupid question, but you did go through and reset ALL of the TAPS with EFILIVE when you did the trans? If not then it may be hitting a bad tie-up and the TCM is shutting it down to protect it. Also di you try to see if it would work in hydraulic mode by unplugging the harness and seeing if you had reverse and 3rd? Also you could use EFILIVE while sitting still and go through the DVTS and see if you can command all of the gears to shift through that way.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Who did you buy your clutches from and are you sure all the clutch packs are the appropriate size? My buddy just ordered a kit from an online store and they sent him two packs of C3s and no C4s. You have to be careful when going over your parts list. Id mic the old clutch packs out and the new ones. See where that leaves you.

mack attack

Oct 3, 2010
maine
I reset everythign with the ATS but havnt put the EFI live on it yet. I unplugged the harness and when you put the truck in nuetrual it still moves forward. I know its a little wierd. lol. I bought the clutches from a local dealer, they are all red eagle altos and seem to be i spec. I checked all tolerances and they seem to be good.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
this is 100% a mechanical issue in the trans, its going to have to come back out of the truck. IMO you have a clutch pack that is dragging...whether its from something installed upside down or you put too many clutches in one pack etc... just my own opinion.

Ben