New project/commuter/hoopty

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah they're real powerhouses. :rofl: She will merge with traffic on the interstate though and that's all I need from it. I have thought about straight piping it but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm scared it'll be loud as hell at 65-70 mph

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
They are freaking loud. If it was me I'd re think that on a dd. I was a stupid high school kid when I had mine straight thru, and it was even too loud for me.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
put a glass pack on it it will be so poppy and and loud lol a buddy has a ol crewcab he did that with that truck is so much fun makeing noise and not go anywhere

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I don't want loud haha. This thing is unpleasant enough to drive already. With it's worn out steering, touchy brakes, windows that all leak and no a.c. But the mufflers that are on it drone really bad at 60mph and are pretty rusty. So if the truck lasts long enough I'll have to do something. I have an mbrp 4" muffler I bought for my 05 but never put on. I may throw it under there when the current ones finally fall out. Ideally I'd still like to find an 88-94 4wd Chevy with a 350/700r4 and swap my 6.2 in place of the 350. But I don't have time for such a project right now

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
..... turbo... you know you want to... Just do it. It'll be fun.... you have to redo the exhaust anyway..... lol:D

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Don't tempt me :rofl: that's the last thing this old th400 needs. The pump guys at work have already told me to pull the pump out and they'll tweak it for everything it's worth. Anybody want to donate a turbo to the freesiel cause?? :D

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
edehegu4.jpg

Well one of my mufflers finally blew up so I had to do something. Since the them of this truck is free or cheap, I'm using stuff I had laying around. The muffler was for the white truck but I decided not to put it in and I think I can piece together the rest from leftovers of various exhaust kits we've done at work. Just have to get creative with a hammer and welder to make two 2" pipes go into one 4" pipe. I'm going to paint it all black.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
No real idea really. I don't have an accurate way to measure what I'm putting in. If I were to venture a guess I'd say I'm using 25-30 gallons total of oil and diesel. That's for 550-600 miles. That puts it in the 20ish mpg area

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If the 6.2 is still in good shape, 18-22 MPG is quite possible. My '82 is trashed (made 65 HP on IdahoRob's dyno) and still gets 16-17 MPG. And that's with me flooring it everywhere (because 65 HP). I used to get 19+ MPG when it ran right.

I do like the body style of these trucks. Classic good looks.

Oh, and yeah, don't straight pipe it. I did it back in high school and it was so loud I couldn't stand it as a young punk kid. If I'd driven in to town, I guarantee I'd have got a noise ticket. No idea how that engine is so loud.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
This one appears to be pretty healthy. I've had it past 85mph on the speedometer. It's dead on at 65mph so I bet I was really going that fast. It's sweet spot is 55 though no doubt. Very smooth and quiet right there. It does happily merge onto the interstate though. Unfortunately it is straight piped at the moment. Cut off right under the seat. When that muffler blew it rattled like hell so I had to cut them both out. Going to rig up that 4"muffler this weekend and hope it quiets it down a lot

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Now you have me scouring craigslist for one of these ol trucks again. I'd get rid of my Jetta tomorrow if I could find a truck that got 30+ mpg regularly.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I don't think it'd get that good. Even if I swapped it into a lighter truck with an od tranny. All in all I've been very pleased with how it's run. I hope I can find a cheap truck to swap it into soon. This one is eating front tires and I really don't want to spend the money to fully rebuild the front suspension and steering.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
aryravyd.jpg

Muffler Stack install is complete. It really sounds pretty good. Kind of a cross between a deep muscle car rumble with a hint of stock lb7 straight pipe thrown in.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
This old pile is still kicking, 5000+ miles strong. The tranny shifts and slips so bad some times it feels like a cvt, fluid is dark brown and smells like burnt hair, and reverse is non existent. But she's still moving. Hope to get another 2k miles before I retire it from dd and put the motor into something I can have fun with

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Thanks. I was originally going to do that with my 05 just cleaner, nicer and use an 8" angle tip on the end of the muffler ( to match muffler o.d. so it didn't look like a muffler) But I talked myself out of losing the bed space in that truck. I think it would be sweet to have a stack and be quiet though. So I threw it in the beater, so glad I did. Sometimes I don't even listen to the radio, just open the back glass and listen to the old Detroit rumble

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
That's pretty awesome man, I love the old Detroits not power houses, but they sound amazing and can run forever with proper care.

I just scrapped 3 6.2s a couple months ago, I would have gave them to you, all running and low mileage.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Same here! I love this old pig. My plan for it is to find a good k5 blazer shell and build a driver/wheeler toy with no lift and 38"s. Using my engine and whatever parts needed off this c2500. And in the process turbo it using stock 6.5 parts :D