New project/commuter/hoopty

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Picked up this gem last night to fix up and drive back and forth to work. It's an 86 GMC C2500 with the old rattle box 6.2 and 400 tranny. Plan is to get it reliable and up to the 600 miles a week I drive and run it on straight filtered and heated waste veggie oil. Then slowly work on the body and paint. Going to try to use the original 2 tank setup the truck came with with one being used for regular diesel and one for the w.v.o. Going to start the motor on diesel then switch to w.v.o. then back to diesel before shutting it down. I just need to figure out a way to heat the w.v.o. either in the tank or on the way to the pump.
e4aruny4.jpg
qe8u8ena.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah I've always been a fan too. And this ones got a.c.and cruise control :D Wish I could have found a 4wd but all of the 6.2s were beat to absolute shit or very nice and more than I wanted to spend. But oh well, when I finally move closer to work I may throw her up on 2.5 tons and tractor tires :thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Well I plan on using a heat exchanger and engine coolant to heat my wvo. But to save myself some plumbing I'm going to tap into the main fuel line under the hood just before the fuel filter. Which means the pump diesel will be routed through the exchanger as well. Meaning there's a chance pump diesel will be heated to 200 degrees or so before going into the pump. Anyone see this being an issue?

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
Not really diesel on big trucks is used to cool to an extent so it does get warm. so it should be acceptable to run it all through exchanger

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
uploadfromtaptalk1402782448003.jpg
Updated pic. I've put over 600 miles on it burning a concoction of "fuel" that most wouldn't dare haha. After hooking up my heat exchanger and retro fitting an old Duramax fuel filter assembly (I'm going to run "clean" used filters off of trucks I service at work. Ultimate cheap skate here) The diesel fuel reached a temp of about 160° just before the filter. So I filled up the other tank with straight waste cooking oil filtered thorough a fine metal screen, the 2 gallons of engine oil I just drained out of it, and the 2 gallons of tranny fluid. Then I hit the switch and went for a drive. The only change was the smell of the exhaust. We'll see how long and well the old stanadyne puts up with this abuse. Next weeks fuel will consist of about 20 gallons of waste veggie oil and about 5 gallons of gas contaminated diesel fuel. It was awesome driving to work and back all week on about 3 gallons of pump diesel!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402782448003.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402782448003.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 42

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Anybody on here familiar with the turbo 400 trans? Reverse is hit and miss in this thing. Especially when cold (under 160° ect) Most times it's there when hot but I do have to give it some throttle before it'll catch. I've already serviced fluid and filter and added a bottle of lucus tranny fix. It got a little better so I may dump another bottle in it. Just curious if it's a valve body issue or something more internal. Forward gears are great.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
Th400 is very similar to a 4l60 which I'm currently overhauling. I think joshh is familiar with them. Ill look through my ats book but I feel like it would be related to the reverse input clutch which is fairly common. Does it clunk when it catches

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
The only clunk I get is when it will not go into reverse cold and I rev the shit out of it. Very small almost unnoticeable clunk. No movement. After letting it warm up to temp it will drive in reverse. But it does take some rpm to get rolling usually. Probably 1500ish (no tach). The strange part is occasionally it will go right into reverse cold or hot with no pedal input just like the forward gears.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Well luckily my driveway is a loop at home and I park on a hill at work. Should be able to limp it right along with no rewind for a good while when it does finally go. :rofl:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
uploadfromtaptalk1404949824447.jpg
Almost 20 years of gm diesel. The old 6.2 has gone strong for another 1000+ miles burning cooking oil. All I've done this month is make it where all returning fuel goes to the oil tank. I was getting contamination from oil returning to my diesel tank. I had to replace the switching valve too. And finally threw a used set of 265s on it. All total spent on the truck since I got it: about $450. Total savings for the time I've been driving it: about $600. And I shouldn't have to put anymore into it for quite a while.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404949824447.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404949824447.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 43

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
My first truck was a 86 6.2. I got a ticket for "display of power" and lol'd at the cop. It may have had something to do with the dual straight pipes. If I hadn't have been so young and intimidated, I would have easily been able to fight it and win.:baby: