new built engine..blowby.

SAC owner

Aug 18, 2017
another diesel performance newb question I Have a built engine (fingers pistions rods etc fresh machine block .020 over) with compounds. 40% over injectors and 10mm pump.
I have about 1000 miles on it kind of easy miles with some higher tune pulls down the road, I have not loaded it on the dyno yet thats prob next week to sort the tuning. I am getting a good steady stream of haze out of the crankcase tube can feel the air coming I can take the oil cap off and set it upside down on the fill tube and it just sits there, out how normal is this for built engine? rings are set slightly looser than stock, should I hook my toy hauler up and load it up really good to set the rings?? Any advice is much welcome!

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I always try to load a freshly built engine up good, I’ve got goosenecks I can hook up to for that... what oil are you breaking it in with? Stay away from any extended idling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAC owner

Aug 18, 2017
I always try to load a freshly built engine up good, I’ve got goosenecks I can hook up to for that... what oil are you breaking it in with? Stay away from any extended idling...

I am using delvac 15-40 I have been idling the truck the last two weeks when i run in the the store to grab a coffee and to warm it but that was far after 500 miles.. would you recommend hooking to my toy hauler 12500lb empty and running it for a bit?

I am assuming if it is not blowing oil out or blowing the cap off the fill tube just haze it is ok? I had the head back off of it for a lifted head and replaced the studs with 625 inconel and some new surface and gaskets the cylinders looked great no glaze on the walls. i also am assuming it take a bit to set the rings in a diesel?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
If you’re sure nothing is leaking anywhere, and everything is working as it should, I’d hook it up and lay it to ‘er...

SAC owner

Aug 18, 2017
If you’re sure nothing is leaking anywhere, and everything is working as it should, I’d hook it up and lay it to ‘er...

Nothing is leaking, no oil out of the vent tube. and it runs good and smooth!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think I had less than 100 miles on my build before I hooked 15k lbs behind it and ran up and down a 6% grade to break it in. Make sure your tune is reasonably sane before you lay into it too hard, and watch EGTs. But yeah, let 'er eat, and see if the rings set.

Now a built motor with looser ring gaps will have more blow-by than stock, so don't be concerned if you still have some afterwards. Mine has about 2x the blowby from when it was stock, and has stayed at the same amount since I broke it in.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok fellas I will hook her up and run her up some hills! Thanks!

i would do a compression test now and see where you are at. also would be good to know the piston to wall clearance and ring gap on both rings. you could go out and hammer on this and still may not clear up all the blow by.

when you do hook up and go, dont run at a consistant RPM, vary it. use manual mode and down shift/up shift/vary throttle input till you hit the hill and then do some on/off heavy throttle pulls.

since you have 500 miles, id change the oil and open the filter up too to make sure all is well inside.

SAC owner

Aug 18, 2017
Going to hook it tomorrow have some good grades in northern KY i will drive down there and back.