My RCLB (SB eventually) build thread

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I like the looks of the Greystone, I'm sure whatever color you go with it'll look good :thumb:

That's what I'm leaning towards.... I would like it to match my CC though. -_-

Decisions decisions.

Anyone want to take a guess as to why the previous owner tapped all the wires for the intake heater grid? I'm puzzled. :confused:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Well I got some more done today. Got all my parts ordered.

I added a quart of oil because when I checked it, it was low... well that quart came back out right away. There is a 2"x2" piece missing from the upper oil pan/crankcase. So now I have to rip all that crap out and replace it.

The bed is ready to lift off. Had to cut every bed bolt off with a cutoff wheel and hit it with an air chisel because they were just spinning. Really a ton of fun

The 200lb hitch is off and those bolts were stripped too. Had to heat them up and torch those off.

When I took the drivers side air bag out I found the truck abusers hunting license from 2007.

5'6" 107lbs :rofl:

I going to send him the wood screws he used in the interior, exterior, etc and 22 brass and other hick crap I find along the way. Might as well, I have his full name and address.

20121226_170750.jpg

Nice wire taps!

20121226_123857.jpg

Dozer bumper

20121226_171243.jpg

20121226_171251.jpg

Might be able to see the crank case hole :( Look to the right 1/4 of the starter and you can see the gasket. That should be fun to replace.

20121226_171438.jpg

20121226_171412.jpg

Guess when I asked the guys I bought the truck from if the engine was fine and didn't leak oil, coolant, or anything the crank case is an exclusion. :(

Oh well, too late to turn back now. :eek:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Runs good when the oil level was low LOLOL/

Be funny as hell to me if you sent all that stuff back to him in a box. He wouldn't know WTF to do :rofl::rofl:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
5'6" - 107# sounds like a girl... you sure its not a uni-sex name? LOL

Regardless, we all know you'll right all the wrongs & make it a one-of-a-kind truck like your others before it.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
5'6" - 107# sounds like a girl... you sure its not a uni-sex name? LOL

Regardless, we all know you'll right all the wrongs & make it a one-of-a-kind truck like your others before it.

Agreed. Cornell... You've earned a reputation here on this forum. You've set a standard for yourself, don't let us down! Boss plow FTW

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I've never met a girl with the first name Arik before. :D I was within 40 miles of his address yesterday when I drove to Cedar Rapids to pick up my Sig 556.

Finally picked up that straight rust-free pass side door with glass and interior bose panel, window reg and all harnesses for 75 bucks today. It seemed best because that door needed a lot of work and wasn't 100% going to be straight and the glass was scratched pretty bad. Couldn't have that. Will also make it easier when I run harnesses for power seats and door locks once the exterior is finished. Just looking for leather buckets to pop up now.

The kid welded his 5th wheel ball straight to the frame with some THICK angle iron and multiple random welds. Was going to be a PITA to get off cleanly. I talked to the frame shop thats doing my conversion and he has a extended cab short bed 2500Hd frame. He is going to use that back half instead and will fix the front frame horn mishap with the frame and labor included OTD for 700. I couldn't say no. All said and done I will still be into it about 5500 even with these setbacks.

Ordered a deep pan and some upgraded trans lines instead of the leaky oem ones last night too.

When I saw the upper oil pan was cracked I almost wanted to pull it and do a mild build. Its a little beyond me right now and I want to have this done in less than a month so if it holds together I'll run it, but if I crack a piston down the road my plans will change.

Last edited:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
All the parts are in besides my trans lines I ordered from Alligator, those should be here Monday.

Going to start putting it back together tomorrow.:D

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
20130105_104626.jpg

20130105_105454.jpg

More parts

20130105_105459.jpg

New radiator, intercooler, condenser, and trans cooler are all mounted in the core support. All I have to do is lift it in after I get my trans lines on Monday. Wish they would have came today but oh well. Rather run them with everything open instead of fishing them through.

Pulled the old trans lines and a couple other little things as well.

Thought about this truck last night for about 2 hours and I think I'm going to go this route because the frame is going to bug the shit out of me being half cleaned and half dirty. I'd rather do it now than later and mess up a completely straight truck because I like the frame clean.

The guy that is doing my frame has a complete extended cab short bed frame. He will section off the back of that and put it on my truck for $700 total labor and frame included which isn't bad at all considering new front brackets are close to $400 just for parts and I wouldn't have to buy them then.

I think I'm going to have him do all the work on the ECSB frame, sandblast it and paint it....transfer everything over then because the upper oil pan freaking sucks to do with the motor in the truck so I might pull it anyways for ease. I can steam clean everything too because its so dirty/dusty and its annoying to me because I'm OCD

Am I crazy?

I'm not that far from pulling the motor as is because the whole core is out already. Does anyone have a PDF/ writeup for it?

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Little update:

Sold the long bed to a guy that hauls scrap for 75 bucks, good riddance. It was going in the dumpster tomorrow

Nice 5th wheel mount!

20130106_144247.jpg

20130106_145736.jpg

20130106_145743.jpg

Cleaning the weiner off

20130106_151311.jpg

20130106_165525.jpg

Parts

20130106_165534.jpg

more parts, new core support, rad, intercooler, trans cooler, and condenser.

20130106_165543.jpg

Tried to get some dirt off, about 40 pounds worth (dead serious)

20130106_165937.jpg

Also cut the exhaust off for the sake of humanity.

Last edited:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Nothing much to pulling the motor at this point, might as well yank it out fix the pan and give it a good once over. Kind of on the fence on the frame swap deal. I mean for $700 to purchase a mint frame altered for your short bed conversion you really cant go wrong. On the other hand its alot more work then just fixing the existing frame. GM rapes you on the frame horn but its nice to be able to just cut the old one off and replace it. Im cheap so I would cut it off with a grinder/cut off wheel,, put it in a vise,, add heat and re shape the original one. With a porta power and heat you might be able to straighten it out still on the truck?? Guess it depends on your goal, You mentioned making it a work truck with a plow, if thats the case why bother sand blasting and painting a new frame just to make it a work truck? Either way from seeing your other 2 trucks I'm sure it will be a nice/clean ride when done:thumb:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Nothing much to pulling the motor at this point, might as well yank it out fix the pan and give it a good once over. Kind of on the fence on the frame swap deal. I mean for $700 to purchase a mint frame altered for your short bed conversion you really cant go wrong. On the other hand its alot more work then just fixing the existing frame. GM rapes you on the frame horn but its nice to be able to just cut the old one off and replace it. Im cheap so I would cut it off with a grinder/cut off wheel,, put it in a vise,, add heat and re shape the original one. With a porta power and heat you might be able to straighten it out still on the truck?? Guess it depends on your goal, You mentioned making it a work truck with a plow, if thats the case why bother sand blasting and painting a new frame just to make it a work truck? Either way from seeing your other 2 trucks I'm sure it will be a nice/clean ride when done:thumb:

Makes sense.... that pass side frame horn is beyond fixing though.

Did you ever decide on a color?

I Have it narrowed down to two colors. Going to keep it to myself though :D

Got my trans lines today.

20130107_173332.jpg