my AR .308 for ELK ???

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
From reviews watched/read its well balanced... The $5,000 so price tag though :(

My ar308 has a 16" barrel rather carry it vs a 24" barrel through the brush

Last edited:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
If I had a 7mag and a .308 and I was going elk hunting I'd take the 7mag. Yes elk can be killed with a .308, with restraint on the shooter's part and cooperation from the elk and the conditions.

Personally, I don't like seeing big game animals taken with an AR style rifle. It degrades the animal and the hunter. The animal appears as it was pursued unfairly. The hunter looks like a "prepper" that can't hit the broadside of a barn while standing inside it. Then it's just what the left wants to use in anti-gun rhetoric to take away my 2A rights as a hunter and gun collector.

I see a lot of people comparing guns and bows to justify caliber choice. You can't do that. An arrow kills by slicing vital components. A bullet kills by ballistic shock once the bullet expands and/or fragments.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
that is why i am contemplating changing out my 7MM , but then i go to a long heavy ass barrel and mountain brush climbing wont be fun .

put both in my truck and see how strong i feel that morning :roflmao:

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I see a lot of people comparing guns and bows to justify caliber choice. You can't do that. An arrow kills by slicing vital components. A bullet kills by ballistic shock once the bullet expands and/or fragments.

If I had to be put down and had a choice I would take a gun any day. A bow is awesome to hunt with but I wouldn't want to be shot with one.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
The nemos are cool, but way overpriced.

For the kind of change there are better options, including sourcing and assembling your own.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
There are definitely limited options in the larger caliber AR platforms, that's largely because they aren't well suited for long range accuracy. There are some small town options that if anyone is interested I can get info for. That's why I suggest making your own with a receiver set/bolt from the brand/caliber of choice.

IMO, the best 30 cal AR's are the LWRC REPR (i have 2) and the Larue predator series. But now we will get caught up in piston vs DI :).

Ruger just came out with a wicked new rifle too. I don't love ruger but i'm getting one of these in 308

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I feel fully confident in hunting big game with 308 either my Larue OBR or my custom rem700 that i built :thumb:

I've seen guys push the Larue OBR out to a mile oh and did ballistic testing by strapping ballistic plates to pigs and shooting them from a mile and showed the 308 had as much energy at a mile as a 45 up close.

a friend of mine is making some bad ass 5.56 rifles that are ultra light and accurate. i love my Larue though :)

http://www.hunterrifleworks.com/csat

Last edited:

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
There are definitely limited options in the larger caliber AR platforms, that's largely because they aren't well suited for long range accuracy. There are some small town options that if anyone is interested I can get info for. That's why I suggest making your own with a receiver set/bolt from the brand/caliber of choice.

IMO, the best 30 cal AR's are the LWRC REPR (i have 2) and the Larue predator series. But now we will get caught up in piston vs DI :).

Ruger just came out with a wicked new rifle too. I don't love ruger but i'm getting one of these in 308

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

I want one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!