my AR .308 for ELK ???

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
So i got my Bull Elk tag for this year here in UT, and will be hiking in a few miles and now all my buddies are telling me that it would be worth my while to spend the cash and go with a bigger caliber than my .308 , yes i understand an Elk is a beefy animal and if i do take a shot over 200 yds i may not get an exit wound, thus causing a hard tracking task especially if there is no snow yet. Here (OCT 8-20th) it could be 70 degrees or snowing, hard to guess, i really want a .338 Lapua and already have 4 X 16 X 42 scope on my AR and could move over and make this a sweet hunting combo, any opinions on more experienced Elk hunters, i have been a white tail deer guy my entire life and now live in the mountains where the real animals are and dont want to blow it.

I do have a 7MM Mag but am not dragging that heavy beast into the woods that far out , and i am so used to the pistol style grip now i can not go back.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I don't see why you would have a problem with the .308 on an elk as long as you have a good rest, good bullets and are confident with your shooting abilities.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
That was my first answer but i seem to be getting outnumbered the more i dig into it. I am grouping 3" at 300 yrds already and will fine tune more over the weekend. Just loosing a bit of grain seems it may limit me with my yardage , but i guess i should just learn to stock better and get closer right.

Anybody on here have a .338 Lapua ?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sorry, beat me to my "x3" lol

i hunt elk with a 270 but 300 yrds is as far as i reach out. generally in AZ your no more than 100-150 yards from them. beyond that, your not going to get a clear shot in the pines

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
That was my first answer but i seem to be getting outnumbered the more i dig into it. I am grouping 3" at 300 yrds already and will fine tune more over the weekend. Just loosing a bit of grain seems it may limit me with my yardage , but i guess i should just learn to stock better and get closer right.

Anybody on here have a .338 Lapua ?

I would guess you get outnumbered when you mention "AR". .308 is a mean round but people, me included, don't like the word AR when it comes to hunting. I personally don't care for an AR but that's just me. I have a friend who hunts with a .308 and whatever he connects with doesn't go far.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
.308 is just fine for Elk, shot placement with any caliber is key. Not recommended but my Dad has taken elk with a 22-250, it's all he had at the time and his family was hungry.

I love the AR platform but the traditional hunters are going to give you grief for it. Just be damn sure of your shot and take em down with 1, that should shut them up.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
X10 if you need more then a .308 to take down a elk your doing something wrong. I can understand if you don't get a clean kill it will be hard to track. However thats a poor mentality to have. One shot one kill.

14 years ago I tried to take a nice whitetail on the run away from me. Ended up hitting it in the ass. Had to track it a few hundred yards to put it down. My dad has never let me live it down. It was a little bit of a hail marry, but I thought I could time my shot right. I don't take those shots now, because there is always tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
.308 is fine.

.338 Lapua is the tits though. :thumb:

If its in the cards financially, you could get a different upper for your AR10 chambered in something with better ballistics than the .308 but it's really not necessary unless you're going to be shooting a long long ways off.

I thought one of the main gripes about the AR platform for mountain hunting was the weight... They can be quite heavy unless attention is paid during the build to use lightweight components.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Back in my younger days I did a lot of big game hunting all over north america. I only used one rifle for everything. 340 Weatherby magnum. I hand loaded all my rounds. I shot a Nosler 250 gr at 3300 MV. That put me at about 4500 ME. Most of my shots were over 300 yards at elk, some closer to 500. I loved coyote shooting as it kept me sharp. Very tough shooting a coyote on the run at 100 yards. I missed more than I hit on them buggers but it was fun.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
.308 is fine.

.338 Lapua is the tits though. :thumb:

If its in the cards financially, you could get a different upper for your AR10 chambered in something with better ballistics than the .308 but it's really not necessary unless you're going to be shooting a long long ways off.

I thought one of the main gripes about the AR platform for mountain hunting was the weight... They can be quite heavy unless attention is paid during the build to use lightweight components.

How about 300wm, 7mm 338wm AR platform
https://nemoarms.com/rifles/

Falknor has a nice 300wm as well

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
How far are you comfortable shooting? Most people shouldn't shoot over 400 yards. A 308 will take your elk just fine in all them Calibers. I feel like people get to hung up on the biggest baddest caliber. FYI I work for a large Gun Manufacture.. And it is peoples mentality of have to have that big caliber bullet or the latest craze that has allowed me to have a job. Don't get me wrong the 338 Lapua Mag is a beast of a cartridge just like the rest of the 338 except for a few of the smaller ones like the 338 Federal mentioned above. If your shooting under 600 yards then there is really no reason for it. If you want to eat the animal it will tear it up. There have been many many moose (In Europe where they are smaller than American moose) killed with a 6.5x55 which back in the earlier years and the earlier mausers they were loaded at a very low pressure. So a smaller bullet with not as much ass behind it killed a larger animal. Summing all this up your 308 will work great, you are comfortable with it, pick a good bullet and only take a shot you know you will hit where you aim.

Now if you want a 338 LM get it.. That is your American right :)

On a side note I was like most when it comes to the AR. I was never into one.. However I do have a 458 socom and I do like that alot in the AR. I realize that isn't what we are talking about but it has a fun factor for the AR for me.

Let me know if you have any questions I will be glad to help with this. I could trade knowledge on this for duramax knowledge..

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
AWESOME !!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the info, yes i am comfortable with my .308 and i love the AR platform as i shoot better with the pistol grip and can get more stable very fast, along with the quick addition and removal of any accessories top , bottom, and sides of the rail have become very nice , and i seem to be spoiled now;)

The .338 Lapua is not out the races yet but it is a spendy piece of cash and it looks like my .308 will be making the trip with me into the mountains this year at least.

If i end up with one though i will def post many pictures :woott::woott:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
How far are you comfortable shooting? Most people shouldn't shoot over 400 yards. A 308 will take your elk just fine in all them Calibers. I feel like people get to hung up on the biggest baddest caliber. FYI I work for a large Gun Manufacture.. And it is peoples mentality of have to have that big caliber bullet or the latest craze that has allowed me to have a job. Don't get me wrong the 338 Lapua Mag is a beast of a cartridge just like the rest of the 338 except for a few of the smaller ones like the 338 Federal mentioned above. If your shooting under 600 yards then there is really no reason for it. If you want to eat the animal it will tear it up. There have been many many moose (In Europe where they are smaller than American moose) killed with a 6.5x55 which back in the earlier years and the earlier mausers they were loaded at a very low pressure. So a smaller bullet with not as much ass behind it killed a larger animal. Summing all this up your 308 will work great, you are comfortable with it, pick a good bullet and only take a shot you know you will hit where you aim.

Now if you want a 338 LM get it.. That is your American right :)

On a side note I was like most when it comes to the AR. I was never into one.. However I do have a 458 socom and I do like that alot in the AR. I realize that isn't what we are talking about but it has a fun factor for the AR for me.

Let me know if you have any questions I will be glad to help with this. I could trade knowledge on this for duramax knowledge..

I disagree with you. At 500 yards the 308 will have about 1,000 ME at the most. Not the greatest caliber at that yardage. Unless you pull off a perfect shot without hitting bone, you won't put it down. It is more humane to use a bigger caliber and it gives you a much better chance for a one shot kill.
A heavier long bullet like the 338 will do less damage than a high velocity 30 caliber which tends to blow up on contact and ruin meat.

Goss

Apr 4, 2016
Mulberry Grove, Il
A .308 like most on here have said is a very capable round, depending on the distance. Consider that people do take elk, bear and other large game with a compound bow which has less momentum. Shot placement and distance. .338 lapua is a hell of a round but follow up shots take longer and the felt recoil is more. The AR 10 is better than the AR 15 IMO and inhave used one hog hunting. That being said the average person is not accurate beyond 350 to 400 and in that range the .308 is very capable for elk. Beyond that i would go .300 as it is less recoil than a .338 and offers better follow up shots. A 7mm is about par for the course with a 30.06 however the .06 will give heavier tips. The .308, 7mm and .06 are not very different in capabilities other than bullet weight. So yes, the AR 10 within capable distance and proper shpt placement is more than effective. Although, i think a good mechanical vlade rage tipped arrow gives better blood trail lol

Goss

Apr 4, 2016
Mulberry Grove, Il
How far are you comfortable shooting? Most people shouldn't shoot over 400 yards. A 308 will take your elk just fine in all them Calibers. I feel like people get to hung up on the biggest baddest caliber. FYI I work for a large Gun Manufacture..

Which manufactuer? Do you get friends and family discount? Are you in market for new best friend? Lol

Agreed most people think they are going to get the big caliber and gun and be the next chris kyle shooting a mile. In reality 400 yards and out so much comes in to play its very difficult to be accurate. Beyond 500 and it takes years of skill, trainkng, right ammo and a worked weapon. I have deer hunted my whole life, spent 20 years in service part of that as a cop and i dont take shots on live targets beyond 300, i prefer closer. But im not an operator either