Motor Disassembly

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Ok I finally pulled my motor apart down to a bare block today. Not sure on how many street miles but not a ton of miles. I do drive it as anyone around here can vouch for. I race the crap out of it! The short block has been together since early 2008. The rod and main bearings look like new!! The piston skirts look like new!! The ring lands look and measure like new!! Main caps look good, no cap walk!! I will have the block cleaned and honed this coming week. Also the crank will get magged again. Going to mill the deck alittle as I have plenty of room to tighten it up(deck to head). Just for the record i'm running factory main bolts no girdle. I just don't see a need for one. I'm going to reuse the bearings and install new rings. The rings measure fine and had no blowby but there cheap and i'm wanting to try some new rings. I run a LOT of piston to wall clearance. I run a LOT of clearance on the rod and mains. I open the wrist pin clearance up more than normal also. They look good also but I figured they would as I has the pin oiler in the rods. A friend of mine that i'm building a motor for has a used set of carrillo's and they need new bushings with very little run time. Very surprised at that. Carrillo makes very nice stuff. I just thought I would share my findings as I figured it would atleast need mains as I beat on it pretty hard. With the 2.6 charger we were shifting at a pretty low rpm. Anyhow I hope this might help someone with a new build or was on the fence with certain parts. I can take pictures of the bearings or dates on the bearings or anypart that someone mite want to see. I hope it helps someone. Jeff

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Good info Jeff, thanks. I'm trying to find a shortblock to build and your findings are very interesting. Does fleece do your machine work?

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
"lots of piston to wall clearance" and no cracked pistons.

something to look at or at least think about for folks in the build process right now.

thanks for the updates jeff

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
BES engines has alway built my buddys 7 second nitrous fed 391 mustang motors. It is a 391ci ford smallblock that runs a double fogger system and runs high 7's in the quarter mile. IM not sure if my buddy even still runs the car because i moved and lost touch with him but BES always did his motors and they were bulletproof! I was unaware BES did diesel motors though??? I believe it is Tony Bischoff if i remeber correctly, is that right stingpuller? My buddys name was Phil Hines stingpuller he lives in Lebanon Ohio not sure but you may know him

Last edited:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I used to live in Cincinatti area and BES i believe is in Indiana right across the border not far. They build badass motors always won all the big races down there

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I used to live in Cincinatti area and BES i believe is in Indiana right across the border not far. They build badass motors always won all the big races down there

Ya their website has some impressive shit on it. I've heard of tony bischoff before, back when I raced at gateway. Never realized they were that close. I don't have any shops in my backyard that I know of. Obviously it pays off to have a good shop machine/build an engine. I need my stroker motor refreshed and they might b an option.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Motor

H bearings rod and main. Tony will do anything that makes power. He has the TQ plate for the hone and can do the injector cups for the heads. I'm waiting on a set to get done now. I do know Phil hines and yea he is still racing. That is a bad car he has. BES just won the engine masters challenge again so they do know what there doing. We need more of these trucks to go rounds and not break. It's not good for a person to go watch and most of the trucks are broken. They want to see good side by side racing. If anyone has any qestions I will be glad to try and answer them. Thanks Jeff

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That's good info, Jeff. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a ballpark guess on how many miles you put on your motor? What compression ratio were you running? This was with the rods and pistons in your sig (Arias and Howards)?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Motor

Yep Josh it was the stuff in my sig. I would guess 5k miles but a LOT of 1/4 mile pass at WOT. The pistons are 16.5 to 1 std bore. The pistons look like new. I mean they don't have any marks at all. I don't want anyone to think these pistons are good for 100k miles. They probably are not going to make that. At least the rings won't without changing them a few times. But I like the piece of mind not wondering if i'm going to crack a piston. I really like the pin oilers in the howard rods also. I think all the rods should do that. Jeff

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Jeff is Phil still running his N20 mustang? Reason i ask is before i moved he bought Wren Pops new body style mustang with that ENORMOUS procharger! Just wondered if he is still running his fox body stang that he sprays the living piss out of. He was a good friend of mine i helped him do some roofing in the past he owns a roofing company.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've heard a lot of good things about those pistons. FYI, SoCal makes wrist pin oiling an option on the Carrillo rods they sell. I'm not sure if anyone else does or not.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Ok I'm gonna ask and everyone can yell if they want. But I have my notepad in front of me figuring what I need to come up with to build a shortblock similar to Jeff's. I can add up the parts easily enough but what does the machine work run on these motors?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok I'm gonna ask and everyone can yell if they want. But I have my notepad in front of me figuring what I need to come up with to build a shortblock similar to Jeff's. I can add up the parts easily enough but what does the machine work run on these motors?
That really depends on who does it and what all you have done. I would say anywhere between $500 and $2000.