Modied 4094

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
yea we are going to need some videos asap! was contemplating seeing if mark could mod mine into one of his stage2r units but I want to see how this one does. just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to do this?

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Ok so I just typed up this nice response and this stupid tap a talk wanted to be stupid and never sent the stupid thing so I'll give you the short and sweet. Russell has by far the best customer service of anyone I spoke to about turbo work. His port and polish is a true port and polish and not just a piss poor gasket matching. For the machine work on going 72mm, the billet wheel, port and polish, hx40 machine work, complete rebuild with upgraded 360* thrush bearing, balance of rotating assembly I think I'm in it for 1400ish in the turbo only. ThaTs a great price considering the time invested.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Explain in idiot terms what and why you are using lly vanes? Also could you use a 4094 cartaidge with an lly exhaust housing?

Haha, sorry for the confusion. I'm not using LLY vanes b/c they won't fit. LLY vanes are taller than the 4094 vanes; LLY - 0.595" 4094 - 0.549". Distance from the cartridge to where the vanes sit/rotate on the exhaust housing is LLY - 0.825" & 4094 - 0.784".

With that said, you could put a 4094 cartridge on an LLY exhaust housing but you'd have to machine said LLY exhaust housing for the larger GT40 turbine wheel along with use the LLY vanes and unison ring.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Ok so I just typed up this nice response and this stupid tap a talk wanted to be stupid and never sent the stupid thing so I'll give you the short and sweet. Russell has by far the best customer service of anyone I spoke to about turbo work. His port and polish is a true port and polish and not just a piss poor gasket matching. For the machine work on going 72mm, the billet wheel, port and polish, hx40 machine work, complete rebuild with upgraded 360* thrush bearing, balance of rotating assembly I think I'm in it for 1400ish in the turbo only. ThaTs a great price considering the time invested.

Haha, got to love technology some times!!:roflmao::hug:
Thanks Kevin, I'm not perfect by any means but do my best.:thumb:
You can do math!!!:thumb::roflmao::rofl: I think this means I'm to cheap, haha.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
On a side note, I've been doing a batch of 7 turbos. From rough machining the up pipe ports, opening up the turbine discharge of the VGT's to 3 1/8", 4094 to the HX40 downpipe, and the IHI's to 3 1/4", I've removed 14.3 lbs of material. If you average it out it come to a little over 2lbs a piece. I still have to refine/open up the up pipe ports and turbine side transaction on 5 of the exhaust housings as well as the enlarger the covers for the IHI's but the main bulk of material is removed.

When I started looking at how full my bucket was getting I decided to weigh all the material that was removed, I was surprised to say the least!!

dbebf759e063a34aee91cc31e3801aba.jpg

0b8e32458ad3ad3d220e60da230045ef.jpg

Yellowchevy

Last edited:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Finished the porting/polishing of the exhaust housing. Need to do a finally cleaning, blasting, and some paint.
3d5d5c24bd6806ded64a9239ab87d14b.jpg

Got it all painted up, turned out good.
8bdb94b7d7e06825dc6248c8e996f9fe.jpg

Got the cover and 72mm wheel back from getting machined. Really excited to see how she does!!!
c0dfde864972b088fb70d8801a8dae0a.jpg

Yellowchevy

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Finished the porting/polishing of the exhaust housing. Need to do a finally cleaning, blasting, and some paint.
3d5d5c24bd6806ded64a9239ab87d14b.jpg

Got it all painted up, turned out good.
8bdb94b7d7e06825dc6248c8e996f9fe.jpg

Got the cover and 72mm wheel back from getting machined. Really excited to see how she does!!!
c0dfde864972b088fb70d8801a8dae0a.jpg

Yellowchevy
Looks sexy man!

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
What is the wall thickness between the exhaust housing inside bore diameter and then the housing outside diameter at its thinnest area? It looks thin but just wondering if you have any concerns about the downpipe flexing and causing the housing side flange to crack and break? Not trying to insult the work or anything but im just curious cus this seems like a great mod for these turbos and would free up some space behind the motor im sure with the bend in the downpipe.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Russell has by far the best customer service of anyone I spoke to about turbo work. His port and polish is a true port and polish and not just a piss poor gasket matching.

I second this quote ^^

Russell, if I had you open up the exhaust house to an hx40 on my LBZ stocker you p&p'd. And running it with an s480. Would there be any negative effect with lag or anything else?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
What is the wall thickness between the exhaust housing inside bore diameter and then the housing outside diameter at its thinnest area? It looks thin but just wondering if you have any concerns about the downpipe flexing and causing the housing side flange to crack and break? Not trying to insult the work or anything but im just curious cus this seems like a great mod for these turbos and would free up some space behind the motor im sure with the bend in the downpipe.

I keep the same wall thickness that a stock exhaust housing has were the down pipe clamps on to. The wall thickness is thinner from the turbine wheel out but I also made it shorter so I wouldn't be to concerned about the moment/torque the exhaust housing will see. If you look at an S300 or S400 exhaust housing, it's no thinner then one of them.

That is a valid concern and something I looked at when I started doing this mod; I don't want anything to fail thats for sure.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I second this quote ^^

Russell, if I had you open up the exhaust house to an hx40 on my LBZ stocker you p&p'd. And running it with an s480. Would there be any negative effect with lag or anything else?

Thanks Mack!:thumb:

I don't think there would be but I've not done any testing to be 100% sure. I'm assuming the hot side feed of your S480 from the stock turbo would be 3"? If so, then it would have to neck down to 3" from 3 1/2"(roughly) before going into the 480. I honestly don't think you'd see any negative effect or lag; I see it having a different sound though.

Yellowchevy

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Wasn't doubting your skills at all!!! Just thought i would ask but im glad to hear that all of this was well thought out before starting the process. Real life actual R&D is always a great thing. Would you say that this is a worth while mod if one has access to equipment? I would definitely like to try this out.

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Would you say that this is a worth while mod if one has access to equipment? I would definitely like to try this out.

That is the magic question lol. I asked him that every time we spoke (which was at least 3 times a week) for the first 3 to 4 weeks before he even started. The answer is no one knows, it's never been done before. I will have some dyno numbers once I get the kinks worked out but I don't have any before pulls to compare. The way Russell and myself both see it is that it can't hurt so why not.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
FWIW I had to cut off a stud and dent in the firewall some to get the HX40 downpipe on my LBZ.