MF'ing LB7 downpipe bolts

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Ive been trying to crack my downpipe bolts for a few days now, soaking them with PB blaster and trying to crack while motor is hot, none of which have worked. Ive done a few other swaps and they were a PITA but never got stuck like I am with my own truck. I have a cal emissions with an EGR so going in through the fenderwell doesnt work. I was thinking of trying to split the turbo and pull it out in halves but didnt know if this was possible. What do you guys think

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
drop the tranny crossmember and ~40" worht of extention and you will have dam near a striaght shot at the lower 3 bolts

dont knwo how far the t-case will let you drop the tail shaft down... that was the only way i could get mine off

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
pardon my ignorance but I assume the egr stuff can't in any way (destroy it if you have to) be removed so that more access can be gained to get a better angle at getting to them?? i say destroy it but obviously you can't do that if it has to go back on for some reason. If it doesn't have to go back on though, torch or sawzall that biatch off there IF it'll get you the access you need.

How about raising the cab a little, would that help?

C-ya

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
tried a huge pry bar to push down. no worky still. just got a mapp gas torch with a 4ft hose. might just have to heat the fvcker

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
you are doing exactly what i went through...i had EGR on mine as well:D.....i played with the transmission every bolt to get the right angle....what worked was two ratchets: a 3/8 drive about 12 inches long that had a flex head and i made a 24" cheater pipe to fit that and the 1/2 drive flex head ratchet that was 16" long or so...i would hold the head on the bolt and Aaron (owner of truck) would crank on it....we would go from the top of the motor and through each side fender well and i used the impact and extension method for one or 2 from behind the tranny. we used a little MAP gas torch on a few but we almost burned our hands off a few times...all in all it took about 3-4 days of pure frustration to get all of them:mad::mad:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Try this
93645.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93645

It will fit into the small space behind the motor. I use a ratcheting box end on the input side, standard 1/2 drive socket on the other. 30:1 multiplier will break almost anything loose.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Feel for ya , those are a bitch to get off .

Even with access on kodiak . Those bolts are so tight I usually about chop my fingers off on the floor of the truck when they break loose . :mad:

So whats the status ? Get them loose yet ?

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I was told you can take the turbo apart in sections if you have to. I've never done it, but a friend told me he always does that.

I guess that was not the EGR equipped one though. I'm not sure what difference that makes.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Nice Fingers! If a torque multiplier will fit in there thata be the hot ticket!

Hmmm, I have the whole front end off of mine right now, hood fenders, inner fenders battery tray, etc. Wonder if i outta take the opportunity to break em all loose
and anti-seize them while i can? the lower driver side ones already are when i put the BD manifold on. I tried to remove the drivers up-pipe to weld a bung on for drive pressure tap and that had me curse every word in the book!
Why the hell didn't GM anti-sieze these damn things in the 1st place :confused:

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
the two ways we do it.

1. Unbolt cab and a couple floor jacks or two post hoist. You should be able to gain at least 4"s'. We almost always use heat (torch) to break them loose.

2nd way drop the trans and get right in there. On a good day trans can be dropped out in about an hour and a half. With way less damage to your knuckles

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
I tried the two halves method unsuccessfully once. I'd try the Fingers method next time.

They are torture, I have several broken tools to show for it. Hang in!

:hug:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I have done quite a few swaps and taken transmissions out and it sucks. I got them loose tonight. Took off one of my traction bars :D

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Ive been trying to crack my downpipe bolts for a few days now, soaking them with PB blaster and trying to crack while motor is hot, none of which have worked. Ive done a few other swaps and they were a PITA but never got stuck like I am with my own truck. I have a cal emissions with an EGR so going in through the fenderwell doesnt work. I was thinking of trying to split the turbo and pull it out in halves but didnt know if this was possible. What do you guys think

There just as tough the 2nd time too :eek:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
they got plenty of anti sieze. I bent the firewall before these came loose. Do I just need 12mm sockets and wrenches to try the multiplier?