LLY: Loose u-joint caps in yoke

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
So i was under the truck today and noticed my rear u joint on the rear drive shaft is loose in the yoke. The caps turn, and i can slide the joint back and forth. A little back story on this is a while ago i put a brand new yoke in the rear diff with a new seal to stop the leak i had, also used new straps and bolts. Ive had this drive shaft out probably 3-4 times since and re-used the straps and bolts each time. So im thinking the straps just stretched out. Anyone have some knowledge on this sort of problem? I u-joint is still good but om not sure if it wore the caps down now. So what would you do? Just new straps and bolts? Or plus a new u joint? Think the yoke is damaged also? Thanks. Dont wanna spend a fortune on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
I never replaced the u joints in this truck at all. 230k miles not sure if they are original or not. Fronts are cause they still have that plastic cap sealant in them. But anyhow the ones in the rear are spicer 1480's

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I never replaced the u joints in this truck at all. 230k miles not sure if they are original or not. Fronts are cause they still have that plastic cap sealant in them. But anyhow the ones in the rear are spicer 1480's

Looks like original u joint or at least a good replacement one..

Man hate to say it but best option is a new yoke and u joint.. You can jimmy rig it to make it work but it's a driveline and I don't recommend that.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Looks like original u joint or at least a good replacement one..

Man hate to say it but best option is a new yoke and u joint.. You can jimmy rig it to make it work but it's a driveline and I don't recommend that.

Damn i wonder if gm would warranty that yoke i bought off them. Its been over a year

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Damn i wonder if gm would warranty that yoke i bought off them. Its been over a year

I think they go 12 month 12,000 on most of their parts..

Id say it was just a combo of things that caused it. All new should solve and prevent issues though.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
I have seen the traps stretch when taking the drive shaft in and out. When reinstalling the u u joint into the yoke rust and dirt get behind the cap and when the bolts get tightned it bends more of a u into the strap. Over time the rust and dirt come out and then the cap is loose. I've fixed that issue several dozen times with new straps or setting the strap on a flat surface and tapping it with a hammer lightly to widen the u shape. But there cheap. Napa will have a strap kit with 2 straps and for bolts for under 15$

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Anyone use the DHD billet yoke? Looks nice. Pricey though...