Looking for opinions on a tech disagreement.

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Alan, I've been in your shoes before.
I've been yelled at, called names, etc. and it doesn't bother me, but when they yell at our secretaries or treasurer (especially the girls) it pisses me off.

We had a puller refuse tech after a pull last year (unfortunately I was at the Buck and not at that event), but to my knowledge he was not overly disrespectful: He "should" have been banned, but he got off with just a DQ for the day (no points or prize money) and a decision was going to be made whether or not he could return. Several phone calls later consulting with the board members and others, it was decided that he could return but that his truck is up for tech anytime we feel like it. He returned to pull with us first pull this year and things went well.

Everyone is quick with the "ban hammer" and I agree in the perfect world it is the correct thing to do (and probably what we should have done), but as many of us know we do not live in a perfect world. What should be done and what is done are often 2 different things.

With the facts stated here (and it sounds as though at the end of the day his turbo was not checked), this is what I would do if it happened in our club (again only MY suggestion):

The first thing I would tell him (even before addressing the tech issue), is that disrespect to members and volunteers who are helping WILL NOT be tolerated and WILL result in a ban if it happens again (would also reiterate it at the drivers meeting). I would also throw in a jab about respecting women while I was at it (just because that's me).
I would then tell him that if he wants to pull with you again the truck will be THOROUGHLY teched before and after his pull and ANY time the tech(s) feel like it (for refusing the initial tech), and if he doesn't like it load the truck and leave.

People don't realize the work that goes into these pulls for little and more often times not, no compensation. The last thing we need is for these hot headed dip$hits to make it even tougher on those who are helping and volunteering.

Good Luck,
Chris

Thats just it man, this guy always bring 2 trucks and I don't think he has missed a pull since season one. We don't exactly have so many pullers that we can afford to be Nazis about stuff. But if we just let everything slide, what separates us from the god awful fairs around here?

I'm Not suggesting he be banned for refusing to be teched, I think he should be banned for being disrespectful to the staff. I Like taking my children to events where competitors respect each other and staff. It's nice to see the second place man walk over and shake the winners hand. Fortunately this is how most diesel competitors act.

I'll be clear, as much as I was wondering if I should have handled it differently, I'm over it and from the Tech end of things I have no problem with the puller in question coming back once the turbo in question has been properly inspected. I guess we will see what the consensus is on his tirade and treatment of officials at the next meeting.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
It is all about respect and keeping it fun. There is nothing wrong with having a disagreement it is all about how those involved conduct them self's in coming to a resolution. These are family events and the children attending most often look up to those who are competing in the event. Whether we realize it or not we as competitors are role models and should conduct our self's as such. IMO he should suffer a penalty that all who witnessed know about. Good pier pressure is the best way to keep us all in check.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I think you did the right thing. Guys afraid to be humiliated in front of everyone because he is cheating. Cheaters should get that kind of humiliation. I say the next pull if he his there, go up to his truck and personally tech his truck, report back the out come you find. Then run him down verbally because of it :thumb:

Passin Thru

Jan 27, 2017
I don't pull. Did tractors once upon a time. Rules is rules. You are right, he on the other hand is about 90% illegal or he woulda said go ahead. Take a deep breath and remember, As you slide down the banister of life, there are splinters like him.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't pull. Did tractors once upon a time. Rules is rules. You are right, he on the other hand is about 90% illegal or he woulda said go ahead. Take a deep breath and remember, As you slide down the banister of life, there are splinters like him.

Well since this is 2.5 years ago, I don't think he's looking for many opinions anymore ;)