LLY swap

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Got the LLY and LB7 heads off to the machine shop. Cleaning both sets up, swapping the valve springs and valves to the LLY heads, nice shave and valve job. Will have a mild port job but nothing special.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
New to duramax's. What is the big advantage of going to an lly. I have an 05 lly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
You use a machine shop around phoenix? I'm tearing down my LLY for a swap into the 02 and am new to the area.
I trust no one in phoenix. I use Larry's Engine and Marine in Tucson.
New to duramax's. What is the big advantage of going to an lly. I have an 05 lly.

Better fuel system, better injectors, and better heads.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
I trust no one in phoenix. I use Larry's Engine and Marine in Tucson.

Better fuel system, better injectors, and better heads.

Better heads? Just did head gaskets and studs a month ago and they failed in the exact same spot on both heads, like the machining was not perfect on the head. I took it to a good diesel shop to have them checked and they said the were good.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
Little late for that now. I have had nothing but problems with it. Head gaskets are still good. If it needs gaskets again I am not doing it as they are the worst thing in the world to work on. Someone else can deal with it.

DIRTYLB77

Dec 1, 2015
I am in the middle of a lb7 to LLY swap on a 03, lb7 is pulled out of the truck the lly is being shipped but isn't coming with any electronics. so what exactly do I need to buy? A LLY ECU and FICM and a NSBU....what else?

DIRTYLB77

Dec 1, 2015
They claim it comes with the small engine harness I won't know until it gets here

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
I did an 04 LB7 to LLY swap, I used the LLY ECM and FICM and also the center section of the under hood fuse box. I believe the 03 and older are more complicated than the 04 but not sure.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
as far as the 02 lb7 swap goes. what are they changing on the harness to correspond to the lly engine?
We haven't seen the OP since July 4th 2020 per his profile. The last post in this thread was from April 21st 2016 (almost 7 years ago).

That said, @rfletes79 (Rick) may be able to help you out with harness work as he has done quite a few swaps and makes swap components.