LLY swap

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
As some of you know I picked up a complete LLY few weeks ago to start my new built engine and LBY swap. I have both the body harness and the engine harness aswell.

Now Ive read a few hours on here about LB7 to LLY swaps, but it involves the 01-02 trucks, not 03-04. I remember reading somewhere that the 03-04 were "basically" plug and play, but don't remember. the race truck is a 03 so not a problem there, the LLY is an 04.5. Also have the LLY FICM.

I know Ben makes a harnss or can modifty my LLY harness to work, so that is another route to go as well. I read Russ' (rpmmotorsports) thread but it involces the LBZ :confused:

Everything is in totes ready to go to the machine shop here in a month or so to get the bottom end going but not sure what I need/don't need/insignificant sh!t I need :rofl:

I removed the whole LLY fuel system minus rubber lines in one piece for ease of reinstallation :D

I guess this thread can also be the "whats the next build for harry potter"
:happy2:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
so ugh, after years of tearing LB7's down, I managed to break the passenger side upper valve cover removing it. Apparently there is more bolts holding it down than I thought :D

Walmart 30 gallon totes are AWESOME. :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Brian you also have to re-scale the fuel sending unit tables in EFILive, because LB7 and LLY sending units read opposite/backwards of each other.

But yeah, its otherwise plug and play, as Russ said.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Brian you also have to re-scale the fuel sending unit tables in EFILive, because LB7 and LLY sending units read opposite/backwards of each other.

But yeah, its otherwise plug and play, as Russ said.

lol his fuel gauge is "perma-empty" with that fuel cell in the back.

this may be easy for all of us but remember, this is brian we are talking about. he tries to insert square plugs in round holes :rofl: :hug:. ill go over and mark big red X's on everything for him :angel:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Thanks for the help Ben, looks like im removing the LB7 harness from the truck today.
Looks like I have everything except the LLY ECM. Cool.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Got a NBSU coming from Paint. :angel:

Got the complete Lb7 harness shenanigans out of the truck.

laying everything out and going to reloom the LLY donor. looks like all I need now is the ECM and brackets to driver battery.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Got a NBSU coming from Paint. :angel:

Got the complete Lb7 harness shenanigans out of the truck.

laying everything out and going to reloom the LLY donor. looks like all I need now is the ECM and brackets to driver battery.

So you dont "need" to replace the lb7 harness correct? Because its plug and play with lly... I might do something like this when my injectors go out in my truck

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Yes you remove the lb7 harness completely. That includes the trans harness because it's one giant piece. Have to swap NBSU from lb7 2 plug to lly single plug.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Under fuse box is giant connector that you remove and 175 amp fuse from lb7. Install harness and plug in new 175 amp and connector from lly.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hondarider where you at in AZ? I'm beginning an LLY swap in my 02. Ben just sent my custom harness and ECM out today. Still have to tear down the LLY to do studs before I swap the engines.