lly power loss

jpatt

Nov 10, 2016
Just had 8 new bosch injectors and new head gaskets done on my lly. Truck finally starts without cranking for 10 seconds and I'm not hating the truck anymore. But it has no power now, feels actually like my race trailer is hooked to it all the time. I read yes and no as being normal for a while. It's a huge difference

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
Doesn't sound normal, is it building boost? Any leaks anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpatt

Nov 10, 2016
Asked the shop tonight and he said it can happen. Said the old injectors tips are wore out and allow a little more fuel into cylinder. New injectors tips are a little smaller

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
Asked the shop tonight and he said it can happen. Said the old injectors tips are wore out and allow a little more fuel into cylinder. New injectors tips are a little smaller

I wouldn't be taking anything there if they told you that!

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Just had 8 new bosch injectors and new head gaskets done on my lly. Truck finally starts without cranking for 10 seconds and I'm not hating the truck anymore. But it has no power now, feels actually like my race trailer is hooked to it all the time. I read yes and no as being normal for a while. It's a huge difference
Something is definitely wrong. Probably a boost leak, or a leak between the turbo and the mass air flow sensor. The shop is full of shit saying that.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jpatt

Nov 10, 2016
The shop is a really big duramax shop that is highly recommended and does great work. The owner is who I talked to and also who worked on it. Said it runs great and didn't see where it had a power loss. I kinda know him personally and trust his opinion. But I know it's lost low end power. It has a efi live tow tune in it and he has told me that's it's way to hot for a stock Trans. It just feels sluggish right now. Would fuel mileage suffer from a boost leak. How can I check it

jpatt

Nov 10, 2016
It's plugged in. Truck runs very smooth and quietly. Just feels sluggish now on bottom end. I baby it anyways but I know something is different.

jpatt

Nov 10, 2016
No he said if it never limped the tyranny before then I would be fine. When I asked about the power loss he said the truck runs great now and he could add power if I wanted but I was playing with fire with a stock trans. I hear my turbo spool just like before if that means anything. Maybe I just need to drive it a little more. He really does great work so I know nothing was done without me knowing. Hopefully they didn't miss anything that's causing it

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Said the old injectors tips are wore out and allow a little more fuel into cylinder. New injectors tips are a little smaller

This statement alone is enough to make me confident that he is either an idiot, or a liar.

I don't care how big or fancy his shop is.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Yeah, the tips being wore out isn't gonna make it run better.
Add some fuel down low to the tunes and see if that helps.

My LLY was a dog down low with stock trans tunes, well, it was a dog til it blew up and got a new motor and trans, but with extra low boost fueling it woke up.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Injectors

Ok let me start out by saying that I'm the person who worked on this truck. I would put my skills and ability up against any person on this forum for fixing a Duramax truck! This truck runs perfect, in fact better than it should for a stock tranny. I told Jerrod a old injector could add a LITTLE more fuel than a new one. A bigger hole will add fuel unless I'm missing something. Maybe one of you guys that know it all on the keyboard can teach me something. I'm always for learning something. The only difference is the motor now has C gaskets on it instead of B gaskets. THAT IS IT. So it would be down slightly on compression from what it was. I drove the truck and it runs better than my LBZ does so I guess I'm not sure what it should run like. I will be more than happy to add power with a tune ( I didn't tune the truck to start with) but towing a enclosed race car trailer is not recommended. Jerrod

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Ok let me start out by saying that I'm the person who worked on this truck. I would put my skills and ability up against any person on this forum for fixing a Duramax truck! This truck runs perfect, in fact better than it should for a stock tranny. I told Jerrod a old injector could add a LITTLE more fuel than a new one. A bigger hole will add fuel unless I'm missing something. Maybe one of you guys that know it all on the keyboard can teach me something. I'm always for learning something. The only difference is the motor now has C gaskets on it instead of B gaskets. THAT IS IT. So it would be down slightly on compression from what it was. I drove the truck and it runs better than my LBZ does so I guess I'm not sure what it should run like. I will be more than happy to add power with a tune ( I didn't tune the truck to start with) but towing a enclosed race car trailer is not recommended. Jerrod

If it runs better than a tuned LBZ then what's he whining about? My LLY ran like a pile of shit until I had it built. You'd floor it and it'd have to think about life for a minute. But that was partly due to bad injectors we didn't know we're bad.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would like to retract part of my statement, Jeff (stingpuller) is not an idiot. And I have zero evidence that he is anything but honest.

I do however, still disagree that a wore out injector flows more fuel then a new one.

To the OP, all things considered here, I think the logical next step here is for you to send a log of the truck to your tuner. Log it in the conditions that you feel it is lacking power and see if there is anything being limited.

If that checks out maybe a quick check for any boost leaks.

I do agree that going to C grade headgaskets over B's might hurt low end power a tad. But I really doubt you would ever be able to notice it.

aklbz

Jan 8, 2015
I would like to retract part of my statement, Jeff (stingpuller) is not an idiot. And I have zero evidence that he is anything but honest.

I do however, still disagree that a wore out injector flows more fuel then a new one.

To the OP, all things considered here, I think the logical next step here is for you to send a log of the truck to your tuner. Log it in the conditions that you feel it is lacking power and see if there is anything being limited.

If that checks out maybe a quick check for any boost leaks.

I do agree that going to C grade headgaskets over B's might hurt low end power a tad. But I really doubt you would ever be able to notice it.

I'm doubting very little if any noticeable performance loss going from Grade B to grade C gaskets.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
All the evidence here is a feel! That is as subjective as a holes. You need a scientific way to know if it is lower on power. Most likely it's just different. I have never had a truck come in running better than when it left. So either it is as good or better or you do have a problem that just hasn't been found yet.