LLY goes BOOM!!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sorry to hear man:( It gets old wrenching on them all the time:rolleyes:

um yeah you're telling me. Im putting my fifth (or sixth depending how you look at it) motor together and just found out that incompetent idiots out there still cant provide me with acceptable short block parts despite the fact that I pay them good money.

Ben

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
um yeah you're telling me. Im putting my fifth (or sixth depending how you look at it) motor together and just found out that incompetent idiots out there still cant provide me with acceptable short block parts despite the fact that I pay them good money.

Ben

Yeah I don't know how you do it Ben. I think I would have gave up by now if I were you. I guess I should quit thinking I have it bad.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
If whoever "they" are keep providing wrong parts why continue using them? Or is it something you can't get elsewhere?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd be sick if my built engine (which I can't even afford yet) let go as quick as yours has. I'd hafta think hard about throwing in the towel on that deal. I just couldn't afford to blow up multiple built engines (obviously since I can't afford a first one just yet :D ).

I feel real bad for you dude! :(

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo

Ben

for the same truck, what kind of luck have you been having

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If whoever "they" are keep providing wrong parts why continue using them? Or is it something you can't get elsewhere?

Ive gone to a bunch of different people for various parts and just when I think ive got all my ducks in a row, something turns up wrong or bad or broken or missed deadline or...who really cares at this point?

I could have EASILY paid to just ship all of my parts to Guy to be machined/balanced and sent back to me for assembly at this point, with how much ive lost (in parts, money, and time) with various morons all the way from connecticut to minnesota to new hampshire to new york to....ive lost track.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Damn man...sorry to hear about all your bad luck I just ASSumed everyone went thr SoCal Diesel or Tony B route as I've not heard bad news through those avenues but they're quite a bit spendier I've heard...I hope your luck turns around soon. I'm with smokeshow 110% on everything he said

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Guy is taking good care of me and helping me get everything sorted out; Ive dealt with a lot of people and a lot of different parts over the years, he is the only person I trust now and has always helped me out when I needed it. :thumb:

Believe me, if I wasnt on the wrong side of the country, I would have had Guy do all of my machine/inspection/pre-assembly-prep work right from the get-go when I started putting my first built motor together sometime in late 2007. I dont mind building other peoples trucks but building my own gets really old, and its pretty pathetic when I point to the audi next to the dmax and say "yeah thats the reliable one"

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I hear ya on the German car thing. I'm waiting on my inevitable BMW fuel pump failure still.*

But back to trucks:

I just don't get how all of you do it. It's unfathomable to me to have one built motor let alone almost half a dozen. By my math it's around 8k between parts and machine work assuming you can assemble it all yourself. I don't know how you all afford but then again I'm on a military salary :rofl: so nothing seems affordable to me. Either way I love seeing how everyone pushes these trucks cause living through you all keeps me entertained. Keep coming up with your crazy widgets Ben those sure are awesome! And best of luck with your future motor build endeavors.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Thanks Fella's :hug:,,, I'm Really not to bummed about it, I have been kind of expecting it for the last 2 months or so. All things considered it happened at about the best time for me, I recently purchased a Powerstroke in preperation for putting the D-max away untill spring, It's winter now, and I was only 20 miles from home. I just drove to Virginia towing a 28' gooseneck there and back with a 8k LB skidsteer on board. I noticed the motor getting gradually louder during the trip but could not find any visual problems and all the fluids, gauges, EGT's, etc, looked normal:confused: Don't get me wrong I am dissapointed knowing all the money I just shelled out getting it built 8k miles ago (Spring) and also the thought of the money I am about to spend doing it all over again:( But sh!t happens I guess, just got to figure what and were things went wrong and make some changes so it does not happen again. I think it was Tom who asked if the fire could have contributed? Well, it certainly did not help it any;), but the fire itself did not really hurt much, The fact my motor Temp was Pegged all the way in the hot zone probably took some life out of her for sure though. The Motor always seemed to make a clatter on the Passenger side since the build, I discussed it on a couple occasions with the machine shop/ Engine builder and he did not seem to think it was anything to be concerned with. I am leaning towards a combination of some things out of spec to begin with, The fact I never did anything about it:banghead: and simply that I run the sh!t out of the truck on a regular basis:eek: I will keep you guys posted on what I find here in the near future, Thanks:thumb:

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
News like this always makes me cringe...I feel for you bro. I seriously consider dropping the coin on a motor myself from time to time, and I can't imagine how upset I'd be if it broke right after it was built. :(
I hope it's not as bad as it seems, and it goes back together relatively easy and inexpensively. :thumb:

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Ive gone to a bunch of different people for various parts and just when I think ive got all my ducks in a row, something turns up wrong or bad or broken or missed deadline or...who really cares at this point?

I could have EASILY paid to just ship all of my parts to Guy to be machined/balanced and sent back to me for assembly at this point, with how much ive lost (in parts, money, and time) with various morons all the way from connecticut to minnesota to new hampshire to new york to....ive lost track.

A competent machinist is important. We are lucky to have one close by, but six times? that sucks :(

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I should clear that up. Ill have had 6 engines in my truck by the time this whole thing is done. Only two of them were/are built.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Engine breaks hurts us all from the little guy who saved and sale bought for a long time to the guys who are more advantaged with more money/skills/friends help/ etc. We all get sick when one goes to hell.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master

Ben

Guy is taking good care of me and helping me get everything sorted out; Ive dealt with a lot of people and a lot of different parts over the years, he is the only person I trust now and has always helped me out when I needed it. :thumb:

Believe me, if I wasnt on the wrong side of the country, I would have had Guy do all of my machine/inspection/pre-assembly-prep work right from the get-go when I started putting my first built motor together sometime in late 2007. I dont mind building other peoples trucks but building my own gets really old, and its pretty pathetic when I point to the audi next to the dmax and say "yeah thats the reliable one"

Shipping a motor to the West Coast is less expensive then rebuilding it over an over again.

Not saying this to rub salt in anyone's wounds and getting bad parts or machine work sucks...........:(

The old saying holds true and that is "You get what you pay for"...............:thumb:

When I pay for a product or service I pay what it costs to get the product or service that I need, I never understood the time wasted in trying to save a buck only to have it screw you in the end.

Good Luck

;)