LLY engine build on a budget

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry for the headaches. I wasnt trying to get a different answer from what rob said. Just looking for advice.

Then stay around 500-525 and have a fun truck to drive for the time being. Save your money and do the build correctly later. Dont get ahead of yourself and make a crucial mistake. Then you're stuck. Build it because you want to, not because you have to.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Then stay around 500-525 and have a fun truck to drive for the time being. Save your money and do the build correctly later. Dont get ahead of yourself and make a crucial mistake. Then you're stuck. Build it because you want to, not because you have to.

X2, if you build it when you have to instead of wanting to, you tend to skemp out on things like uh rods. Then a week after its running you want to burn the bastard because you don't have what you want.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
True that. So its pretty much close to buying a new dmax engine....except youre getting a lot more out of it since youre just paying for better rods, pistons, etc

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I don't see a problem with de lipped pistion but personally on my second go around I'm def getting fingers pistons this time.
You can get the bottom end done, depending on any other issues that may come up and depending who builds it for 6-8 grand. And that's with rods. That's def not the best and the baddest but it'd take it.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Pick up a set of used rods, deliped pistons and some new h-hx bearings and your half way there for a lot less and still have enough to finish it off.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Yeah thats what im scared to realize. Bending a rod at any time. So would carrilos alone be sufficient for making around 600 maybe more and not having to worry about the rods? Or is there something else that fails around that hp number

Just drive it and stop worrying about it. Some stock motors last and some don't, if yours decides to give up the ghost then look into a built engine. Untill then drive it and have fun, it doesn't cost anymore to build it if you push it till it blows. There are a ton of stock motor 600 rwhp trucks I know that have never skipped a beat...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What gets me is some guys on here say they have built a short block for 5k-6k range. so delip pistons and rods. if you used lbz rods and didnt plan on making big power, your freshening up your engine and making it reliable for 600hp at the same time and getting the bottom all done for 2200-2500 dollars cheaper. So theoretically, you could almost do a rebuild twice rather then buying rods. I know i know, who wants to do that, but while throwing in lbz rods...you could always knock down the fuel a bit ;)

There is a problem with this, you still have to run a detorqued tune. if you throw a set of rods in it, detorqueing wouldnt be needed.

if you build a motor for 3-4k, you got majorly lucky that the heads didnt need work or other unexpected issues didnt arise. I built my short block for 5k and decking the heads. And that was even with Socal Diesel doing the machine work. I assembled the whole motor, while it was my first time assembling a dmax motor, it wasnt my first go around assembling a v8 after machine work. Having socal do my machine work and calling Guy when i had questions helped me get the motor together without much issues. Now that i know alot more on the technical side of these motors, i would change a few things machining wise that would better suit my driving.

so while i had 5k in the motor, another 3500 was dropped into injectors, dual fuelers, and other go fast goodies. Brian and i have one of the barest boned builds you can do with the exception of a few items.

all i have is:
crower rods
delipped and shaved 190k now LB7 pistons (no coating) with new rings
ARP main studs
A1 headstuds
H clevite bearings on main and rod bearings
Stock cam bearings
keyed cam and crank
magged crank
balanced rotating assembly
stock fly wheel and balancer
stock heads and cam
all machine work to match and other little odds and ends

rods i bought used with 6 pulls on them, head studs i bough used with one torque sequence on them, main studs i bought new but at a damn good deal, other parts were new and all sold at a very good price. over 30k on this thing and it hasnt been on a tune less than 550hp since the day i took it off the break in tune. the motor isnt my worry at this hp, its the rest of the drivetrain.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
So the basic consensus is, why just throw a set of rods in there and have to rebuild again if the pistons fail? Just save up enough money to do EVERYTHING once if I'm trying to make more than 600hp because you never know when something is going to take a dive

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So the basic consensus is, why just throw a set of rods in there and have to rebuild again if the pistons fail? Just save up enough money to do EVERYTHING once if I'm trying to make more than 600hp because you never know when something is going to take a dive

if i was that afraid of lb7/lly pistons cracking, i would have pulled my motor already to put fingers pistons in. yes they can crack but its RARE to hear of guys in the HP range on up to 800hp cracking delipped pistons. and the ones i did hear about, ran ALOT of pw

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
if i was that afraid of lb7/lly pistons cracking, i would have pulled my motor already to put fingers pistons in. yes they can crack but its RARE to hear of guys in the HP range on up to 800hp cracking delipped pistons. and the ones i did hear about, ran ALOT of pw

So aside from rods, what would I need to have done to my stock LLY pistons?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

I would just run the motor you have until something happens. To me it is not worth all the work and money just for a extra 50-75hp.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So aside from rods, what would I need to have done to my stock LLY pistons?

depending on what you go for hp wise and your machinist says, delipped and possibly shaved. also depends on the cam you run (if you even do) on whether you need valve reliefs added.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
depending on what you go for hp wise and your machinist says, delipped and possibly shaved. also depends on the cam you run (if you even do) on whether you need valve reliefs added.

I cant see myself wanting to make more than 700hp, if that. My basic plan coming into this post was to see what I would need to make it happen, also not planning to race or pull. Just looking for ways to support that hp goal as well as give my truck some new internals since I have 218k miles on them already

I would just run the motor you have until something happens. To me it is not worth all the work and money just for a extra 50-75hp.

I wouldnt do anything until I needed to, I dont have the money currently but am wanting to start saving towards something incase I do have internals fail on me