Little Product testing on the Engine Dyno Results

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Hey guys we just recently did some engine dyno testing with a bone stock LBZ with 280,000 miles on it.

Quick run down of the motor.
- New Stock Cp3
- New Stock Injectors
All remaining parts of motor 100% stock (Intake, Intercooler, Motor Internals, Cylinder Heads, Turbo, Up-pipes, Manifolds). We teamed up with the guys at Duramaxtuner for the tuning aspect of the motor. All the testing was done in house on our engine dyno.
Upgraded fuel system to an AirDog 150

****Product test List****
-LLY Intake horn
-LBZ Intake horn
-LML Factory Drivers Side manifold
-3" aftermarket Down Pipe
-Performance Up-Pipes 2"
-Performance Manifolds (ProFab)
-3" Hot Side Charge Air Pipe
-3" Performance Intake Y Bridge
-3" Cold Side Charge Air Pipe

Some pretty interesting Data was found. Especially when it cam to the EGT's from Drivers Side Bank and Passenger Side Bank. We found with all the manifold setups that there was a 250-300 Deg difference in temperature rating from side to side. Not until we added the larger diameter up pipes did we see the temperature get down to within 100 deg from one side to the other. Also one that put us all scratching our heads was a drop in 30hp from the LLY Intake horn and the LBZ. We ended up repeating this test a couple times just to verify the difference in performance. So all you LLY guys I would HIGHLY recommend getting the LBZ upgrade.

***Also on another note of testing the Duramax from a wheel dyno to an engine dyno we feel we have put a pretty good case together that when trying to calculate out percentage of drive-train loss that goes through a ZF or Allison transmission the idea or assumption of using a set percentage Example 28% can not be used as the performance or projected gains can not be used. I would lean on average from what we have scene is about a 50-60hp lose from drivetrain. From a stock LBZ rating of 360 hp we have been seeing around 350-355hp which I am pretty impressed with given that fact that this motor had 280k on it and being around enough wheel dyno sessions my experience on a stock truck usually puts them in that 280-300 area tire size correction factor dependent. So I will list out setups to what we have tested the past few months to comparison on a wheel dyno like Duramaxtuners facility and you guys can see the comparisons I am referring to. Now given that fact Yes you may see as the power goes up a greater difference in lose but we need to keep in mind that large singles and large compound setups can tend to be a little harder to load on a wheel based dyno which we have scene a few times with lower boost numbers during a wheel dyno session. Not taking anything away from wheel dyno setups for that I feel in the end they can also be a great tuning tool for an end daily driven/street truck setup.

Wheel Engine
Stock Untuned 290 355
Maxx Effort Tune Only 520 575
60% S300/S400 Twin LB7 750 798
3.0" Single HX80 LBZ 250% 1150 1220 (I would lean toward the difference on the ability to load the motor harder with engine dyno to build more boost a considerable factor)
GT42 LB7 100% 912 965

Attachments

• LBZ Dyno Session Level 1.png
    LBZ Dyno Session Level 1.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Wow, I never realized how restrictive the LLY mouthpiece was. No wonder going to a LBZ mouthpiece helps with engine temps-- you're not having to push the motor as hard to make the same power.

Thanks for sharing the results! :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Out of curiosity, what sparked you to test this motor (lbz) and what knowledge are you looking to gain from the info?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It is great when guys have the tools and don't mind sharing a little random information. It gives us the opportunity to use the time you have invested and make wise choices with parts and modifications. If I had those tools available myself you better beleive I would put up a lot if interesting information. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thank you for sharing your information. I find it interesting that it lost 2 hp with the 3" down pipe. Did you retest any to verify it actually was a loss and not within normal test error range? I wonder if the same loss would be there if tested with the performance manifolds and up pipes.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Out of curiosity, what sparked you to test this motor (lbz) and what knowledge are you looking to gain from the info?

LBZ Platform was chosen for a few reasons simplicity, popularity, and we had a lot of parts laying around for one.

Nice info Chad! You planning on doing more test like these?
Yes we intend on doing some more next week a little bit more above the basic bolt on additions. As well as a few other motors down the line 6.7 Powerstroke and the 6.4 Powerstroke.

Good info :thumb:

What tune is dsp1 that caused it to lose 9hp?

Talking with the tuner on this matter this particular tune setup was adjusted off a Heavy Tow to Econ setup.

Thank you for sharing your information. I find it interesting that it lost 2 hp with the 3" down pipe. Did you retest any to verify it actually was a loss and not within normal test error range? I wonder if the same loss would be there if tested with the performance manifolds and up pipes.

Yes we did. Anytime we had the least bit of question we would make another pass to just verify the data we scene was correct. We did the LLY / LBZ Mouth piece quite a few different ways.

We have some videos posted up on youtube of the dyno sessions. We tried to crop them as best we could and still keep it full of useful information so grab a beer and hit play they are kind of long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv4eZQYHd54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yDQOJU4oC8

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
LBZ Platform was chosen for a few reasons simplicity, popularity, and we had a lot of parts laying around for one.

Yes we intend on doing some more next week a little bit more above the basic bolt on additions. As well as a few other motors down the line 6.7 Powerstroke and the 6.4 Powerstroke.

Talking with the tuner on this matter this particular tune setup was adjusted off a Heavy Tow to Econ setup.

Yes we did. Anytime we had the least bit of question we would make another pass to just verify the data we scene was correct. We did the LLY / LBZ Mouth piece quite a few different ways.

We have some videos posted up on youtube of the dyno sessions. We tried to crop them as best we could and still keep it full of useful information so grab a beer and hit play they are kind of long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv4eZQYHd54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yDQOJU4oC8

i See!! thank you for the info!

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Let me know when you are ready for the Banks Intakes... I have a set of ported heads on the bench you could throw on a stocker, I'd like to see that difference out of curiosity, especially with a little bit larger Turbo and sticks...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Let me know when you are ready for the Banks Intakes... I have a set of ported heads on the bench you could throw on a stocker, I'd like to see that difference out of curiosity, especially with a little bit larger Turbo and sticks...
Me too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl

I will keep you posted Matt.

Next up we will be doing some valve train products. Not thinking we are going to see much but still interested on testing a new product design and benefits.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl

Just a had a few minutes to give you guys an update real quick.

We did some more testing and breaking down of the manifolds/up-pipes/down pipes etc.

-Aftermarket Performance Air Filter Setups vs Std Factory Air filter setup ZERO difference.

-Upgraded down pipe still down about 2hp on the average with both Stock manifolds and upgraded performance up pipes.

-No real solid definitive drop in EGT's from factory OEM clearance manifold to Performance Manifolds and LML style manifold. But did see the backed original gain of 4-5 hp all the way through on both manifolds.

-Very SOLID noticeably lower EGTS with the larger diameter up-pipe setups when coupled with either the LML Manifold setup or the performance manifolds. Stock Diameter up pipes coupled with performance up pipes or LML scene ZERO Degree drop in EGT's.

-Average of about 5 hp gain with Hot Side pipe increasing to 3" Diameter Setup. As well as an Intake Air Temp drop of about 8 Deg.

-Average of about 2-3 HP Gain but NO IAT drop with going to 3" Cold Side pipe and 3" LBZ Intake Y Bridge. (ran with OEM and with 3" hot side pipe)

-Our Stage 1 push rods Zero HP gains or any noticeable difference. (Which only reason we tested is for the mere fact that some companies promise 10 hp gain from the simplest of upgrades)

I am probably going to get thrown to the wolves for this but the simplest of ways to put it with out mentioning of any companies is that above listed is of the ONLY products we have scene performance gains or benefits from which includes fluid testing, additive testing, and whatever else bolt on product you can think off.

Now IF you guys can read between the lines moving on to turbo testing and fuel injectors our initial setup is your straight up Rotella 15w-40 Oil, Fresh Off-Road RED Diesel with NO FUEL additive.

We did see some boost in HP with some GOOD Cetane but it is not a product offered over the counter.

Now on too some good gains in power! :thumb:

Next up will be turbo upgrades up to 64mm in size with 60% injectors

Last edited: