LBZ typewriter tic but not

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Is there another problem commonly associated with the infamous typewriter tic?

My brother in law has a 06 LBZ and it just started this last week where it sounds like a loud tic he asked me about adjusting the valves and thats when i told him about the tic but he is convinced its not and it only comes from the passenger side of the motor. He also said it gets louder as he increases RPM.

Truck is a 06 has EFI live and a EGR delete kit from Evergreen? other than that its stock.

hes running rotela 5w 40 T6 and changed it a bout three months ago right when he bought it. after a few days of the tic he changed it again hoping that would help to no avail. Its been ticing for about a week now.

He said no signs of leaks anywhere he smells under the hood and visually inspected pipes/ manifolds.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Whats a typewriter tick?
I believe he's talking about that tic most duramax's make. It sounds identical to an exhaust leak. From what I recall about the "typewriter" tic is the main journal bearings. It's a sound not heard on older diesels because it couldn't be heard over the fuel knock. Since the cp3 things have quieted down and you can hear the chatter in the bearings. That's the way it was explained to me anyway. I was thinking there was a gm bulletin about it.

Says the heads have never been off the truck so valve lash should be tighter on higher milage trucks untouched. The more loose the clearance is where you get tics. Unless heads been off where adjustment is needed.

Need to use a stethoscope and see if he can pin point where it's coming from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
8ae8519b48104a3f23c54a8d4809b2d2.jpg

Edit: his was a 07. That's weird he asked on the chat then you happened to ask on here in the same time frame. :confused:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Sorry just seen where u said last week.. Lol I bet it's the alternator that ticking since u say it's on passenger side.. Mine did the same thing n I coulda sore it was coming from the motor n then I tho it was idler pully but it ended up being the alternator... They have a clutch inside that elemitates belt chirp when u shut off motor n when it goes out it sounds just like ur describing..

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Yes sir.. I bet u that's exactly what it is Bc it had me worried something was ticking under the valve covers.. Let us know what he figures out. Good luck.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Humm.. Did he modify or replace his up pipe when they put delete kit on or did they just block it off with a plate?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its not uncommon. ive seen two in the last month. one of which is the LBZ i just built. his driver side injector (number 8 or 6, not sure) is ticking. i went through the normal checks and suggest he does this as well to make sure

check valve lash (i know he did this already based on your post)
pull suspected injectors and look for carbon build up around injector body (means the copper seal didnt seal)
check for exhaust leaks
check compression

all those checked out great and talking with the owner, he has said its had a tick before the engine blew. Ive tried two different oils in it as well, no affect. some days its better than others

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
He shit off injectors one by one with a tech2 and didn't notice a change. I told him to remove his up pipe and inspect it because he just put the plate over it when he did the delete so I'm thinking its that. And if not well he's going to weld the riser while its out.

I originally thought injector but all the rates check out and he shit them down with no change in noise.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
its not uncommon. ive seen two in the last month. one of which is the LBZ i just built. his driver side injector (number 8 or 6, not sure) is ticking. i went through the normal checks and suggest he does this as well to make sure

check valve lash (i know he did this already based on your post)
pull suspected injectors and look for carbon build up around injector body (means the copper seal didnt seal)
check for exhaust leaks
check compression

all those checked out great and talking with the owner, he has said its had a tick before the engine blew. Ive tried two different oils in it as well, no affect. some days its better than others

Sorry to the OP for derail but James if u wouldn't mind PM me sometime if u don't mind.. I'd like to discuss ur tracker build some time.. I'm fixing to start on mine and have a few Q for u.. Back on the task at hand.. James is pretty sharp on this stuff so I'd ck out all those areas and the reason I was askin about up pipe is Bc I've seen them make a ticking noise when the plate didn't seal off or when they were welded up and had a small leak..

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
I was wondering what all shit was about??? Lol:D When I had plate on mine it had a small leak n was annoying as hell.. Welded it up n it was all good then. Hope it's st simple like that.