LB7 - LBZ Swap started.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I started the swap. 04 LB7 300+k spun a bearing from water in oil due to injector cup. Friend of mine wrecked his LBZ he bought new, has 100k on it. I got the trans, engine, transfer case, and rear end plus all the wiring, accelerator pedal, steering column, dash console and heater lines. I hope I got everything I needed. Wish me luck:D My first question is.......the LBZ front cover is cracked due to the wreck and I have the LB7 cover in good condtion. It looks like it will fit but, I was told the LBZ water pump is different. I know the outlet size is different between the two pumps but, since it is going to be using the LB7 radiator is there any way that the LB7 pump will fit in the LBZ cover? Then I won't have to make a reducer for the water hose

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I guess I will see if it works. Any ideas on where to find a LBZ front timing cover?

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Ok the lb7 pump and cover do fit the LBZ:happy2: It looks like the lb7 pump is slightly smaller than the lbz. I'm deleting the egr cooler and probably ditching the stock turbo, would there be any harm in running the LB7 water pump on the LBZ.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Ok the lb7 pump and cover do fit the LBZ:happy2: It looks like the lb7 pump is slightly smaller than the lbz. I'm deleting the egr cooler and probably ditching the stock turbo, would there be any harm in running the LB7 water pump on the LBZ.
Nope feel free:D you just have to use the lb7 with the lb7 timing cover or lbz pump with a lbz timing cover

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I'm thinking about ditching the stock vgt for a s366. How well does a 366 tow?

c_mo88

Jan 6, 2011
Biloxi, MS/Shaw AFB, SC
looking forward to keeping up with this thread...im thinking i might need injectors soon, but it would be easier and about the same price to just buy a used lly or lbz motor and swap them....any major mods need to be done for this to work?

Bfox111

Jan 12, 2011
Georgia
Im just a few days out from completing my swap. Ive been waiting on parts.......It took me 3 days to have everything done minus the parts im waiting on. GL with the swap!

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Ok guys I have a question. On the LB7 shift level indexer there is a small switch that is depressed when it is in park. The LBZ indexer does not have a place for this switch. With the LB7 indexer and LBZ shifter it comes to far down into my lap. Is this switch neccesary?

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Got the engine, trans, and transfercase in. I put the engine and trans in bolted together:eek: I had to lift the cab slightly to get it to go in. Some wires are plugged in and I'm waiting on an egr delete pipe, airbox, and, downpipe to get it to run. I'm going to plug everything in tomorrow and put the front stack on. Wish me luck.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Getting A p0405, u0106 and u0101 And no crank. Also can not connect to ecm. Any ideas?

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Yes I followed those exact instructions, but I'm comparing notes to the wiring diagrams I got and can not match them up. I got the tap shift working and the indicator shows its in park. The glowplug lights come on but I can not connect to ecm or tcm. I can read codes and the ecm autodects when I hook my v2 up. It does not crank:confused:

Last edited: