LB7 Downpipe?

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
I'm going to try to get it on hopefully. I bought it to drop my EGTs some more, not that theyre really that high but I figured the more I try to drop them the better off I'll be. I also heard putting a downpipe on the stock turbo will make it sound more throater (not like a single turbo setup) but close enough.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm going to try to get it on hopefully. I bought it to drop my EGTs some more, not that theyre really that high but I figured the more I try to drop them the better off I'll be. I also heard putting a downpipe on the stock turbo will make it sound more throater (not like a single turbo setup) but close enough.

You just gotta work at those bolts. they dont like to come off thats for sure. I will tell ya, if you dont want to cut your old down pipe in half, there is only one way it will come out. i cant exactly remember how i got mine out but i had to remove the trans dip stick. brian and i spent the better part of 2 hours gettin my stock down pipe out without cutting it. if you cut it, it makes life so much easier.

Wish i could tell ya how puttin the aftermarket one back in was but the hot pipe from my stock trubo is current feeding a very hungry rod bender :D

I might get made fun of but I used anitsieze on my bolts in the uppipes high heat kind makes getting them out easy as well

id highly suggest this as well.

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
You guys work way to hard with these wrenches...There is a little bottle jack under the back seat you know....:thumb:

A second set of hands helps a lot to hold the jack on an open end wrench while you hold the "body" of the jack upside down on the little over hang of the fire wall. If you really want to get crazy like I did, put a cloth between the jack and painted fire wall to prevent scratches

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Well guys I got the old one off and got the MBRP downpipe on. Was quite the bitch. But anyway, results I have found were a good drop on EGTs and the sound well it really didnt change much, it did a little bit, its slightly more throaty, but the drone going down the road has gotten a little worse but not bad.

EGTs though have dropped pretty good though. Usually when I'm driving down the highway with my foot on the throttle I would see almost 6. Going down the road today after the install I was only seeing 5. so it definately helped.

hot-dog

Feb 26, 2009
of my entire turbo swap, pulling the stock downpipe was the hardest part. I had to cut one stud with a sawsall... pre soak em a week in advance would be my advice. I also unbolted the tranny cross member and tilted the engine down, made access better but I doubt its necessary.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
jus want to say thanks for helping me guys, the downpipe has changed my EGTs ALOT. the truck runs alot cooler now. And a slight sound change as a bonus

Bersaglieri

Dec 28, 2013
Well guys I got the old one off and got the MBRP downpipe on. Was quite the bitch. But anyway, results I have found were a good drop on EGTs and the sound well it really didnt change much, it did a little bit, its slightly more throaty, but the drone going down the road has gotten a little worse but not bad.

EGTs though have dropped pretty good though. Usually when I'm driving down the highway with my foot on the throttle I would see almost 6. Going down the road today after the install I was only seeing 5. so it definately helped.

Couple years later and downpipes are cheaper, would you consider it a worthwhile upgrade? Any updates?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
LB7 downpipe is a very nice upgrade. A lot of bang for your buck. Do yourself a favor and buy the RDL pipe.

Bersaglieri

Dec 28, 2013
Is it mostly for EGT's, I realy don't expect HP/TQ gains to go through the roof, just hoping to remove restrictions.