LB7 Downpipe?

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Has anyone installed a MBRP Downpipe for a LB7? How hard was it? Do you have to drop the tranny? The shop where my truck is at seems to be having a hard time breaking the bolts loose, just trying to see if I can get some info to help them out a bit.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Real easy to put on. Soak the bolts for a few days. Get the RDL pipe he made the original.

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
yeah if i ever do it to my truck i wont even bother...ill prob smash the windshield and break everything in my shop lmao

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
my guys are having a real hard time with the bolts, any advice?

Soak the bolts. Get it hot. Is use a matco 1/2" drive flex head ratchet with a 17" handle. I do them all from the top but you can access some from the ps fender well too.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Soak the bolts. Get it hot. Is use a matco 1/2" drive flex head ratchet with a 17" handle. I do them all from the top but you can access some from the ps fender well too.

x2. i wound up taking a 14mm wrench and cuttin the open end off, then put a long extention on a socket that jsut fit over the 14mm wrench. worked really well. they are jsut a bitch though, jsut gotta keep workin at it

cole30

Sep 21, 2009
So has anyone actually seen any gains from a RDL down pipe? I know the intake horn has been proven!

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
So has anyone actually seen any gains from a RDL down pipe? I know the intake horn has been proven!

I built mine but its similar to the RDL.100* egt drop and feels more responsive but I haven't strapped it down to know for sure.

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
You can do it yourself, they are not to bad to get out. I used a little pb blaster for a couple days and drove my pickup to help work it in there, and then built a tool that I found on DP and it worked like a charm for the top three bolts, if you need a pic let me konw, and the two 14mm nuts I got loose with a box end wrench, and the center bottom bolt I used a 3" 3/8" extension with a flex head ratchet and a GOOD 12 point socket to get it off. They are tight and I've heard horror stories, but you can do it man. I pulled my downpipe out through the top driver side, and just unbolted the tranny dipstick, but didn't remove, I would say total time to get one out was maybe and hour and half. but good luck man they are tight!

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
This is what I made a few years ago. Basically two crap sockets welded to a half of a ratchet and a piece of rod long enough so you can get a breaker bar on it and out from under the firewall. Not the prettiest thing but pulls the top three bolts out no problem. Also a word of advice get some studs and lockwashers and nuts so if you ever have to take it back off it will be a breeze. If you cant make a tool and you want to borrow mine Ill send it your way you just pay the shipping.

Attachments

• downpipe tool.jpg
    downpipe tool.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 105

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
This is what I made a few years ago. Basically two crap sockets welded to a half of a ratchet and a piece of rod long enough so you can get a breaker bar on it and out from under the firewall. Not the prettiest thing but pulls the top three bolts out no problem. Also a word of advice get some studs and lockwashers and nuts so if you ever have to take it back off it will be a breeze. If you cant make a tool and you want to borrow mine Ill send it your way you just pay the shipping.

Thats exactly what I made too. Whoever thought of it is a life saver. Worked great. :thumb: