LB7 Blown head gasket and/or injector cups Part 2 after closed thread!~

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
I have been recommended to do a valve job at the same time by the shop who will perform the head check/milling. Now i would just like to know what this involves and well your opinions on the subject. I am in no way looking at getting performance work done to them. I just want to know if it is really needed in order to get my truck back on the road for hopefully a hundred thousand+ trouble free miles.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Also the chances of the high pressure lines breaking is very very slim. if they do, big deal, just run to the dealer and get one.
A valve job consists of replacing the valve seals, machining the sealing surface of the valve and head so that they seal perfectly and replacing the guides if needed.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
How much should a valve job cost? Just curious I am not looking for high end performance here. This job is getting more expensive as it goes but in some other ways I guess I don't feel like doing it again so...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
With guide replacements resurfacing and valve job it has ran me anywhere from 500-650.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well a local shop around here charges the following
300$ to pressure check both heads, make sure all valves are sealing and ok, check and clean mating surface

1000$ to perform the above including a complete valve job & milling

Should I keep shopping? I feel like if I can pay 500-650 elsewhere it may be worth it even tho I have to pay shipping.

Last edited:

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
I am not sure what I am allowed to post here but Socal could do my heads and a complete 5 angle valve job on intake and full radius on exhaust for pretty much what my local not so known machine shop is charging. I think if I have to do that then I will go with Socal even tho I would have more down time. It's a little expensive tho so I hope to find other options.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I am not sure what I am allowed to post here but Socal could do my heads and a complete 5 angle valve job on intake and full radius on exhaust for pretty much what my local not so known machine shop is charging. I think if I have to do that then I will go with Socal even tho I would have more down time. It's a little expensive tho so I hope to find other options.

SoCal is good stuff, they really know what they are doing. You might be able to shop around and find a shop that can do it cheaper-most people go to SoCal when they want cutting edge top of the line stuff. Guy helped me with my build, and knows his stuff very well

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Yeah that's what I figured! I may as well go with Socal rather than local at that price from the email convo we had I already trust them and they seem very helpful plus they know everything about the DMax. But I will keep shopping around and well if you guys know anywhere else I can ship these two and save a few hundreds that would be nice.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
you might be able to find a place cheaper (basic valve jobs are not that hard for a shop to do) but imho you won't find a shop that can do a better job than socal. If I was just doing a normal DD I would find a small shop that can do it for me that was cheaper, but when my heads come back off the truck I'm sending them to SoCal.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
My truck is pretty much a normal DD my friend. I will although run some stock EFI live tunes since I am getting it I simply figure I may just as well. But beyond that I simply planned to drive it to the ground. It's a 2002 and it's driven in winter in the rust belt... It's nice and clean for sure since I paid 4000$ for a paint job a year ago so it's got no visible rust but plenty of rust where you can't see it. Thinking about it it may not be the best vehicule to drive into the ground since it's been driving my wallet down with it. Either way if it's going to cost me anywhere close to what Socal charges then I will go with Socal otherwise well I sincerely possibly hope to save a few hundred dollars.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well just a little update for anyone that cares to read :) I have finally drove the truck in the garage this weekend! Glad my garage is now all organized and roomy. I started with the injector balance rate test with EFI Live as per instructions I easily found on the web. My injectors came out stellar after letting the truck idle for almost an hour so it could get up to temperature. So that is good news I can keep my injectors! Youpi!

After doing all that well I started pulling parts. I have quite a bit of parts pulled out by now but I still have lots to go. Being the jolly time of year it's hard to dedicate lots of time right now but progress is being made :)

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Not sure what they are wanting to charge you but I just had a set of heads done at a local machine shop with plenty of dmax experience and it was like $1,032 for a complete valve job, deck heads, reseal cups, and replace some of the guides. Its the same shop that did the machine work on my heads and mine have been great for over a year.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Actually a question for you guys :)

I was hoping to keep the AC compressor in and condenser. I know I can swing the compressor to the side but the condenser seems awfully close can it be unbolted from the firewall and swung to the side as well or will that open up the system. Did you guys leave it in or removed it?

I am just kind of hoping to save some cash by not having to get the system refilled but I guess if it makes the job easier who cares.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
From the looks of it none have dmax experience but all can do a complete valve job, deck and mill the heads and change all seals for around 1000$. Didn't think about resealing the cups tho... I will try to get them to throw that in why the heck not...

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
you will want to reseal the cups for sure, and I'm not sure on the AC, I have not pulled the heads off with the engine in

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I think your referring to the accumulator. If you unbolt it, you will open the system. It will be fine to leave it in place. It would be roomier with it out to the way, but not bad. Everyone I have done has been in the truck. some people pull the motors, and some pull the cab. I can usually have the heads off in 5-6 hrs depending on my ambition and the condition of the various bolts.