L5P L5P Tuning

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Ok so since there isn't an official thread I thought I would start one...
Seems like a lot of road blocks are in front of this ECM so how did Banks do this timing change?
https://youtu.be/owjZkPhSlbE
Stand alone controller?
I'm not very literate when it comes to tuning so go easy on me lol

Also why not use foolers like the old finger stick for the egr delete?
I guess I just have blind hope... but cotton picking let's not be so negative :D
If we can't "tune" it then what can we do?
Don't get me wrong my new work truck is amazing!!! And for a work truck yea stock is perfectly fine but for a personal truck no one wants to be a sheep
We want to modify and go fast:cool: some want loud, some want quiet:confused:
Some want to go high some want to slam it!
All I'm saying is we can't take no for a answer. Where would our country be if we accepted that we couldn't fly or make it to the moon?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Running just a motor is not the issue. Working with all the other modules is the hard part. They are always linked to each other.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Banks has there own stand alone as they've been using the l5p for a couple of years now according to Gale's posts. He has talked about them for awhile, just no specifics until GM officially announced them. And as to tuning, afe has a plug in fooler, but you're dealing with an ecm so advanced it isn't just running the engine now, it is also programmed with parameters of what each variable should fall in between, and if it doesn't, it cuts it back and codes. After the VW scandal, I think this is now the future. GM locked them down right this time, and has made them intelligent enough to be able to see when things are being manipulated. There is always the stand alone for those who want to tune them, but then you run into the rest of the truck is dead. I'm sure a gateway can be built to ease some of those issues if theres enough interest.

I think the days of easy affordable tuning are gone for awhile on new vehicles. And I doubt it's GM's fault, and would be looking higher up as to the sudden lockdown as it's not just GM locking them down now from what I've read. It's ironic the aftermarket tuning scene is what helped the EPA catch VW and the others in the cheat in the Bosch ECM, and in doing so it looks like it sealed the fate of aftermarket tuning.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Banks is (imo) the only company as of now(there are others as well, but banks just hit it big with military contact) that could offer tuning thru a partnership with GM. Like I said in the other thread, if someone partners with GM it's solves problems from all aspects; legal issues avoided, GM is paid royalty for their work, warranty fraud gone, EPA testing becomes much easier, etc.

Last edited:

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
I thought the six gun was decent when I had it. No problems truck ran good. Of course runs better now but I wouldn't hesitate to run banks tuning if that all was around for the L5P if I had one. I'm sure the tuning will be out there just got to give the guys time.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I read somewhere here, (not sure where now) that technology is advancing so fast that what seems impossible to crack today will be child's play in a few weeks.. If that's really true it seems like there should be full delete tuning in the future.. Or now even, it's been 9 months..