Kill Switches...

JakeBrakeIH

Dec 24, 2010
Yaphank, NY
Okay I know this has been discussed before but I could come up with the answers I was looking for in searches. In the northeast there is not a structured rule set up like most of you guys in the mid-west etc. There also isnt that many trucks that pull either so a lot of the times you can bump up into the next class is still do fairly well.

With that being said, I pretty much have a stock dmax but would like to be able to pull with any club and slip into any class. My main question is what are you guys doing for kill switches. I have seen some people do an electric style(which is what Id like to do) but after reading some of the other semi local events, it reads you must have an air shut off(for the open/3.0 class). Has anyone with an electric shut off been told they cannot pull because its not an "air" shut off?

My main concern with an air shut off is it would have to be cable operatered. Ive seen like two that are electric but either they are way to much money or take too long to close. I daily drive my truck so the idea of have a cable with a ring mounted on the back of my truck that could kill it doesnt appeal to me. Or if when the chain broke it ripped the cable etc through to the rear or the truck.

I had thought of making a piece of sheet metal to go in place of the tail gate for when I was pulling and to house the kill switch and possibly a neutral light, and just have a plug in the bed to hook up the light and kill switch. Sorry to the long rant but just wanted to get what you other guys with daily driven, or semi daily driven pick-ups where doing for air shut offs or kill switches.

ktroyer

Nov 7, 2010
I dont run an air shut off, but i do have a kill switch. It is just a trailer breakaway switch that i have tied inline with the ecm fuse. pull the switch, and no power to the ecmm mounted to the bottom of my bumper. nobody hardly ever sees it

Papuller86

alittle more then stock
Jun 22, 2010
scranton pa
Pete i made a very simple one that shuts the ecm power off i have about $10 into it, r u going to b at washington co if so I'll show u how I made mine it's super easy someone like u prob has most of the stuff laying around your house mine is a simple electronic kill switch! Most orgs are allowing them I have never had a problem with mine being accepted, there safer in my mind!! And it can be unpluged so some jerk can't pull it on u to mess with u!

JakeBrakeIH

Dec 24, 2010
Yaphank, NY
Pete i made a very simple one that shuts the ecm power off i have about $10 into it, r u going to b at washington co if so I'll show u how I made mine it's super easy someone like u prob has most of the stuff laying around your house mine is a simple electronic kill switch! Most orgs are allowing them I have never had a problem with mine being accepted, there safer in my mind!! And it can be unpluged so some jerk can't pull it on u to mess with u!

Yeah Ill be up there, I def wanna take a look at it. I really would like to get something set up for next year that way I can go and pull with whatever club/org.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I dont run an air shut off, but i do have a kill switch. It is just a trailer breakaway switch that i have tied inline with the ecm fuse. pull the switch, and no power to the ecmm mounted to the bottom of my bumper. nobody hardly ever sees it
Awesome ! guys around here build them out of extension cords.

Nope everywhere I pull says "kill switch"
A relay & a trailer breakawyay switch

Relay ? How or can you tie it in w/o cutting wires ?

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida

Relay ? How or can you tie it in w/o cutting wires ?

We did Kyles here that's why the winky. I located the wire to the injectors & cut it, wired the relay that when activated by the trailer breakaway switch it opened.

Papuller86

alittle more then stock
Jun 22, 2010
scranton pa

That's what I did I used a cord from a broken vacuum cleaner it sounds funny but it was free and is the same as a extension cord and works flawless!!! I tied it into the ECM fuse by unpluging the stock fuse and pluging in my end i made, that way if i ever wanted i could unplug my kill switch from the fuse box and just replace the stock fuse, and i didnt have to cut or tap into any of the harness!! Also my kill switch is fused to make sure it's still safe, but doing it this way is like just turnig the key off

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I tied it into the ECM fuse by unpluging the stock fuse and pluging in my end i made, that way if i ever wanted i could unplug my kill switch from the fuse box and just replace the stock fuse, and i didnt have to cut or tap into any of the harness!!

Hmm, surely they make something to plug right in to the fuse slot, off to the parts house I go :thumb:

Papuller86

alittle more then stock
Jun 22, 2010
scranton pa
heres some photos

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 156

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
That's where I'm headed tomorrow. Guy at work said " I thought a breakaway switch made a circuit complete thus engaging the brakes" :confused:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That's where I'm headed tomorrow. Guy at work said " I thought a breakaway switch made a circuit complete thus engaging the brakes" :confused:
If you're talking about the trailer brake breakaway thing, they do complete a circuit when the little plastic deal is pulled out. I think most guys who use those just tap into the fuse circuit (on the fused side) and run the breakaway to ground so it blows the fuse when it gets pulled. At least that's how I read it a few years ago.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
so judging by the pictures that's the side towards the front of the truck ? Sure hate to fry an ECM trying this

Papuller86

alittle more then stock
Jun 22, 2010
scranton pa
If you're talking about the trailer brake breakaway thing, they do complete a circuit when the little plastic deal is pulled out. I think most guys who use those just tap into the fuse circuit (on the fused side) and run the breakaway to ground so it blows the fuse when it gets pulled. At least that's how I read it a few years ago.

so judging by the pictures that's the side towards the front of the truck ? Sure hate to fry an ECM trying this

thats y i did mine the way i did 1 i had it on when it was still a dd and i didnt want some one with sticky fingers pulling it on me just to mess with me and 2nd theres no risk of blowing anything by just breaking the circuit