June '23 Chat - Will BBT be in the wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This may help with the 2wd topic:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It was tested the same day so I don't know if he just had to remove a DSP 5 switch or if it was something else like a non compliant Cold air kit.
Or he slipped in a cool $100 😁

If it's a tier 1 emissions then no cat or egr, correct? Should be easy for me to get the tune right if that is the reason for failure. Maybe just rotated the switch to #1. But, I didn't even see a DSP switch installed. I'm going to guess it's a canned tune. The seller mentioned something about having the tuner that he could dig out and return it to stock for me if needed. I'm betting that is what he did to pass later that day. As long as he has the stock exhaust and I can get rid of that stack and it indeed doesn't require a cat or EGR then it should be easy to get the tune right so it can pass with issues.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So they have been trained to look for the switch and fail the visual if they see it. Technically a DSP switch tune is a modified calibration and it even has a different OS.

How ever, I know several people with Custom Operating Systems that have passed the smog check. They just remove the switch to a non visible area.

Even GM doesn't have a complete list of all the Operating Systems used. They purge their files after 10 years.

So far I have only heard of 1 person that was flagged and was required to take his vehicle into a referee for inspection. I didn't get the Whole story but either the Technician or the Shop doing the smog test must have been caught doing something they weren't supposed to. I believe this prompted a review and a closer look at all the test that were performed. I am guessing when some one looked, His CVN's were not correct for the OS on his vehicle.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I tried looking for what the standard entailed. Basically they want to limit the Emissions by a percentage Vs. no equipment.
It doesn't specify if an EGR or Catalytic's are required .

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So they have been trained to look for the switch and fail the visual if they see it. Technically a DSP switch tune is a modified calibration and it even has a different OS.

How ever, I know several people with Custom Operating Systems that have passed the smog check. They just remove the switch to a non visible area.

Even GM doesn't have a complete list of all the Operating Systems used. They purge their files after 10 years.

So far I have only heard of 1 person that was flagged and was required to take his vehicle into a referee for inspection. I didn't get the Whole story but either the Technician or the Shop doing the smog test must have been caught doing something they weren't supposed to. I believe this prompted a review and a closer look at all the test that were performed. I am guessing when some one looked, His CVN's were not correct for the OS on his vehicle.
I don't run a DSP tune in my current truck and it passes just fine. Same OS but different CVN obviously.

If they are checking the OS number now then I can just do a regular tune and retune it to the higher one at the track instead of a switch. Doesn't bother me too much if that's what is needed. As long as they don't go into the CVNs. Doubt they will as the data is incomplete from my understanding. And I'm in California so I'd be the first to know 😂

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I tried looking for what the standard entailed. Basically they want to limit the Emissions by a percentage Vs. no equipment.
It doesn't specify if an EGR or Catalytic's are required .
I couldn't find the emissions sticker on the truck either. Where they on the air filter box for that year? This one has an aftermarket so that would explain the missing label

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I don't run a DSP tune in my current truck and it passes just fine. Same OS but different CVN obviously.

If they are checking the OS number now then I can just do a regular tune and retune it to the higher one at the track instead of a switch. Doesn't bother me too much if that's what is needed. As long as they don't go into the CVNs. Doubt they will as the data is incomplete from my understanding. And I'm in California so I'd be the first to know 😂
There are ways around the CVN...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
There are ways around the CVN...
I don't have streaming enabled for my V2 so I can't alter the CVN. But it still passes.

It almost looks like the LB7 doesn't even support calculating ths CVN and reporting it at the ECM level per EfiLive:

If true that would make it easy for me
Yes the label was on the air cleaner Box
Ok. That's what I thought when I couldn't find it

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Heck, we should do our own event! I guess it would be Duramax-only, but if the goal is to get out and have fun, it would certainly do that.
Who's got some land that we can set up a sled pulling track on? Tom's got a good sized backyard that doesn't seem to be in use now that the wedding is over 😛

This is actually a really good idea. It would be fun for all. Set it up as a low pressure event with run what you got type attitude. I think we could all learn a lot from each other. There are plenty of people, like me who has never done sled pulling that would love to try but getting into the other events could be a little intimidating and frankly most are going to have better setups and experience then I.

I don't know if anyone here has enough connections to be able to pull it off but I'm sure we could at least do some racing at the strip and pull some trailers.

In contrast to UCC, is that the DPC seems to be geared more towards the best streetable truck. Something that can be driven to the event, compete and drive home in the same truck. No trailered in drag queens 😅.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have a farm here in rural Idaho. I might have to double check the creeping death of over-regulation hasn't spread out that far in Idaho before actually doing a sled pull there. We also have Firebird Raceway, a pretty legit 1/4 mile strip, though it is a full hour from the farm.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I have a farm here in rural Idaho. I might have to double check the creeping death of over-regulation hasn't spread out that far in Idaho before actually doing a sled pull there. We also have Firebird Raceway, a pretty legit 1/4 mile strip, though it is a full hour from the farm.
Sold.... Found our sponsor. 😁

I'd drive to Idaho for a little fun meet and greet competition

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just ask Corbin about local facilities....he's smack dab in the middle of the country (Mizzou).
If Rick Lance is still alive (dont know, havent talked to him in years), we could ask him, too.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just ask Corbin about local facilities....he's smack dab in the middle of the country (Mizzou).
If Rick Lance is still alive (dont know, havent talked to him in years), we could ask him, too.
Bbb..but... That means I'd have to drive further 😅

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You were just saying we could sled pull in my backyard, and Im in Meeechigan. Honestly, that would be so cool.....but my neighbors might object. :ROFLMAO:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

Well we have a pre prepped dedicated pulling track 20 miles away. A 1/4 drag strip 90 miles away.
My shop with lots of room for activities.

And a buddy used to have an in floor dyno.. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.