LBZ: Injector bad, removal, replacement

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I know you checked but recheck that 3 and 5 are not reversed. I thought it wasn't possible to mix them up but it was. I had a very hard time getting it to fire and had high balance rates in the mixed up injectors. Probably not your problem but I'd double check it anyways. I felt pretty stupid about the mistake.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
Rechecked injector wires, if I switch any injector plug then the opposing plug will not reach an injector each wire is taped the the loom in a sort of C shape. Im cranking until it stops cranking proabably 30secs or so and then give the starter a break and then try again, have tried this probably 8-12 times

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Check compression. That cranking vid does not sound good at all, it sounds like its not hitting on all cylinders. Does the smoke while cranking burn you eyes and smell like fuel? Seems to me like its getting fuel but doesn't have compression to ignite, either that or the injectors are not firing at the right times.

edit : after listening to it again it sounds EXACTLY like low compression on a few cylinders, take the oil cap off, and see if it puffs out the fill tube.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Just saw that your cranking RP isn't high enough. It needs to be over 2,500. that could be leaking injectors, bad fprv, bad cp3 or a high pressure fuel leak.

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Pull your glow plugs and have some one crank while you watch. if fuel is coming out the glow plug holes you could have some stuck tips. Or you could just have a bad cp3 they do crap the bed.

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
A little update and hopefully some forward progress

One injector was stuck and was returning about 35ml of Fuel that one was completely replaced, and still no start. All the injectors were sent off and tested and even after 6 of them have been rebuilt only 2 injectors fired so I would say that is a pretty good reason the truck would not start so hopefully we are making forward progress and will have a running truck again shortly :D

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
One injector was stuck and was returning about 35ml of Fuel that one was completely replaced, and still no start. All the injectors were sent off and tested and even after 6 of them have been rebuilt only 2 injectors fired so I would say that is a pretty good reason the truck would not start so hopefully we are making forward progress and will have a running truck again shortly :D

Whats the price difference between rebuilt and new Bosch? I would have just went with 8 new Bosch from the get go. Glad to hear you are figuring it out

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

Who did the work on them?

Whats the price difference between rebuilt and new Bosch? I would have just went with 8 new Bosch from the get go. Glad to hear you are figuring it out

For some reason I didn't think you could buy brand new injectors?

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
I did the work cause I am on a budget of $0 so I guess the tips were just too gummed up / corroded (from
the water that wasn't in the fuel) to fire and I think I paid $300/350 for my one reman, if I had the cash laying around I would have bought 8 but I am po! :)