If you were to build a 2023 lbz

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
So I’m back and forth on trucks. I despise new diesels and if I’m going to buy a newer truck it’ll be gas. More than likely a 2020 tundra Trd pro crew max.

However I can’t justify spending 50k on a truck. I own a 2006 crew short loaded leather lbz with the following mods - built trans and single disc, 4” cognitio, race valve, tow tuna, (currently has a s&b but I’m going to put stock air box back on).

Let’s say a budget of 5k - (10 total but I’m figuring 5k for body work stuff)

I’ve got a brand new set of 17” wheels for it that I’ve had for a year or so in the boxes. Probably go with a 285 or 295 70 tire in a quiet all terrain.

I’ve got a rust free cab, mint front fenders, new grill and probably going flat bed.

The truck is dead reliable and I have no intention of opening up the engine until I have to. Also has like 250 on the engine, unknown on trans( at least 100k), and 370ish on chassis.

It’ll get new brakes (pads, rotors, calipers, etc), new shocks (probably fox), interior refresh, suspension parts as needed and a few odds and ends buttons/ switches, also a new gm steering box as mine is getting sloppy. New headlights/ park lights, new front and rear bumpers.

Is there anything I should do? What would you do?
We are in a complete Frame-off-Restauration of our GMC/LBZ
The engine is just now in the shop of our enginebuilder.
He said dont touch the engine if it is not necessary. So he will not be open unless the check will shown something wrong
147000 Miles is on the clock. No leaks, compression done ourself seems very good, but i want a new test by the enginebuilder.
I am waiting on the check of the common-rail-system.
As i dont expect any surprises should it be fine in going on with some upgrades
We will add a liftpump and a new waterpump without plastic impeller + some minor tuning, not to forget the TC where the rubbing pump should be solved. Until now no leak.

The same is with the transmission - working fine, no leaks
So no need to open but if it is necessary than the Allison got also an upgrade as i want a reserve on HP on it.

Found this in my research very helpful
Motortrend Duramax Upgrades
Chevytrucks Duramax Upgrades
and of course this forum where you always can find usefull information

I have seen also several information about interieur and exterieur advices
As i must import anything here is this always expensive for us
There is also no scrapyard here which have just used parts for these trucks

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Without tearing into the transmission too far, a Transgo JR shift kit is about the only modification you'll be able to install. If you or the transmission builder are willing to remove the bellhousing and pump, you can modify the converter flow valve and shim / change the pressure spring. I have ran a modified converter valve with a OE torque converter, but the late Mike L said the OE piece wouldn't handle increased pressure. The particular transmissions I did this to (there were 2 of them) have been doing well for quite a few years in a medium duty application. Next step beyond those simple mods are modified clutch packs

Reactions: Phoenix-LH

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Without tearing into the transmission too far, a Transgo JR shift kit is about the only modification you'll be able to install. If you or the transmission builder are willing to remove the bellhousing and pump, you can modify the converter flow valve and shim / change the pressure spring. I have ran a modified converter valve with a OE torque converter, but the late Mike L said the OE piece wouldn't handle increased pressure. The particular transmissions I did this to (there were 2 of them) have been doing well for quite a few years in a medium duty application. Next step beyond those simple mods are modified clutch packs
Actually our route is to install the Allison again after change fluids and filters. If a rebuild is necessary will we choose modified clutch packs to have a save option with an engine tuning.Thats what we also choose on the 4L80e for our Chevy.