If you were to build a 2023 lbz

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
So I’m back and forth on trucks. I despise new diesels and if I’m going to buy a newer truck it’ll be gas. More than likely a 2020 tundra Trd pro crew max.

However I can’t justify spending 50k on a truck. I own a 2006 crew short loaded leather lbz with the following mods - built trans and single disc, 4” cognitio, race valve, tow tuna, (currently has a s&b but I’m going to put stock air box back on).

Let’s say a budget of 5k - (10 total but I’m figuring 5k for body work stuff)

I’ve got a brand new set of 17” wheels for it that I’ve had for a year or so in the boxes. Probably go with a 285 or 295 70 tire in a quiet all terrain.

I’ve got a rust free cab, mint front fenders, new grill and probably going flat bed.

The truck is dead reliable and I have no intention of opening up the engine until I have to. Also has like 250 on the engine, unknown on trans( at least 100k), and 370ish on chassis.

It’ll get new brakes (pads, rotors, calipers, etc), new shocks (probably fox), interior refresh, suspension parts as needed and a few odds and ends buttons/ switches, also a new gm steering box as mine is getting sloppy. New headlights/ park lights, new front and rear bumpers.

Is there anything I should do? What would you do?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Pic of the hoopdie for reference.

Attachments

• 5227B1D3-5174-4201-8523-4FCA5245B0C8.jpeg
    5227B1D3-5174-4201-8523-4FCA5245B0C8.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 33

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
Frame off restoration is what i'd do, and am currently doing with an LMM. I too no longer have any desire for newer emissions equipped diesels after owning them.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds logical to me to just keep your LBZ. I assume it's payed off. Any new vehicle payment is going to easily be more then what you would need to keep the LBZ ruining good at this point. Now if it was falling apart, rusty and needed a ton of work then the story might be different. But it sounds like it's pretty solid as it is now. Maybe think about a few more items that will give it that new feel again and spend the money on that

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You lost me when you said Tundra.

That being said haha avoid Fox shocks. Junk. I spend alot of money on a set of them with the remote reservoir and they were rough, blew the seals out, and the bushings out.

Go Bilstein or Rancho

Yep tundra. Huge cab, decent interior. Not a Ford and the 5.7.. I don’t care about fuel economy and have 2 other Toyota’s.

I’ve currently got bilstiens and been happy, just wanting a little less harsh ride.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Sounds logical to me to just keep your LBZ. I assume it's payed off. Any new vehicle payment is going to easily be more then what you would need to keep the LBZ ruining good at this point. Now if it was falling apart, rusty and needed a ton of work then the story might be different. But it sounds like it's pretty solid as it is now. Maybe think about a few more items that will give it that new feel again and spend the money on that
It’s been paid for since I got it. That’s why I’m thinking of dumping some Money into it and keeping it. I figure make it decent again and I’ll be “happy”

I’ve put about 100k on it since I got it. It’s been literally across the country.

I don’t need a diesel, don’t even really want one. But it’s paid for and I can’t sell it for enough to do anything with.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Is there anything you don't like about it?

Mainly besides body and paint, considering what you already have. I would focus on the steering, suspension, and brakes.

Gm does not make a New Steering Box and the reman's suck!!!

I would do the 6 bolt upgrade box, a new pump and add a small cooler into the circuit. Larger than the 1500 steering cooler though.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You really said the things I would put most of my effort into. I added a new radio with hands free calling and all that stuff to my LBZ, so it wasn't so dated. I'm also real happy with the sound deadening I did before. I would really like more, but will probably get rid of the mud tires and maybe add a muffler first. I use my truck for mostly longer trips. I added a 25 gallon fuel tank to the bed so it didn't take up much space, but gave me a but more range.
Have you don't anything to prevent the Tcase pump rub yet?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Is there anything you don't like about it?

Mainly besides body and paint, considering what you already have. I would focus on the steering, suspension, and brakes.

Gm does not make a New Steering Box and the reman's suck!!!

I would do the 6 bolt upgrade box, a new pump and add a small cooler into the circuit. Larger than the 1500 steering cooler though.

Well I don’t really care that it’s a diesel, the “diesel scene” has ruined diesels for me and my passion for them. I don’t want to be included in that and honestly that’s probably the biggest reason I want to sell it and buy a gas rig.

I don’t the smell of it (diesel), I don’t like putting diesel in it, I don’t like the repair bills, the rest is just piddly shit that’s first world problems. Well all of them are.

We just put a brand new GM steering box on my step dads 03 6.0 2500hd 4x4 truck a couple months ago. It was a new design completely and ordered from our GM parts supplier. I’ll track that down.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You really said the things I would put most of my effort into. I added a new radio with hands free calling and all that stuff to my LBZ, so it wasn't so dated. I'm also real happy with the sound deadening I did before. I would really like more, but will probably get rid of the mud tires and maybe add a muffler first. I use my truck for mostly longer trips. I added a 25 gallon fuel tank to the bed so it didn't take up much space, but gave me a but more range.
Have you don't anything to prevent the Tcase pump rub yet?

I actually like the factory radio and how it functions perfectly with the steering wheel buttons/ dimmer. I’ve yet to find a aftermarket radio I liked as well as a factory setup.

When I cab swap I will fully sound deaden the truck. I recently put 100% stock exhaust on it and man it’s so much quieter. I also pulled my mud tires off and went back to a super quiet at and it’s a different truck.

I did forget to mention I have a 60gallon gravity transfer tank in the bed. Hands down the best “mod” I’ve made to one of these trucks. It’ll stay.

Reactions: Dozerboy

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Other than the flatbed, Im 100% behind your ideas on rebuilding the LBZ.

The flatbed is a maybe. Just depends on the direction I go with the truck.

I have a mint rust free bed sitting in line for it. I just have to finish the guys truck first.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I guess in my “goal” for the lbz it would be

- decent paint and body work. Doesn’t have to be show car, just oe quality.
- new leather skins all around, katskins likely.
- new carpet
- sound deaden interior, doors, headliner etc.
- clean and freshly paint the frame
- address any potential brake like problems, probably just the new stainless line kit as a whole
- new bumpers
- new tires
- fresh window tint
- bed cover if it gets a normal bed
- new lights
- new steering / suspension as needed

Should burn 10k real quick 😂

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If I’m doing fox, I’m doing the higher grade stuff. I’ve had no issues with those. King are another good choice. If you like the bilstein, don’t fix what ain’t broke lol.

If you don’t haul shit, I’d change that rear leaf pack out in a heart beat or just add air bags and do the slapped deal that day star makes.

I miss gmt800 cushy seats…

We are trying out some local rebuilt boxes. I’ll let y’all know how they do. Otherwise it’s been napa boxes and a little tweaking with the sector shaft preload nut.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have 3000 miles on my cardone new 6 bolt box, still is nice and tight with no leaks.

Which color Bilsteins do you have? I think the yellow ones ride like stock. I have the grey and blue ones which suit my needs. Wayy better ride than a rough ass fox.

Reactions: Bdsankey

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
If I’m doing fox, I’m doing the higher grade stuff. I’ve had no issues with those. King are another good choice. If you like the bilstein, don’t fix what ain’t broke lol.

If you don’t haul shit, I’d change that rear leaf pack out in a heart beat or just add air bags and do the slapped deal that day star makes.

I miss gmt800 cushy seats…

We are trying out some local rebuilt boxes. I’ll let y’all know how they do. Otherwise it’s been napa boxes and a little tweaking with the sector shaft preload nut.

What’s the day star thing you are talking about?

Reactions: wydopenLb7

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I have 3000 miles on my cardone new 6 bolt box, still is nice and tight with no leaks.

Which color Bilsteins do you have? I think the yellow ones ride like stock. I have the grey and blue ones which suit my needs. Wayy better ride than a rough ass fox.

I’ve got the silver/ blue bilstien that are part of cognitios old kit.