I have seen the impossible!

Hawk355

Feb 26, 2008
I "unpluged" the injector wires from the LLY harness and "pluged" them into the LB7 harness at the FICM connector. This is very simple if you have the right tools.

Hawk355

Feb 26, 2008
Thank you MadMaxx61. I usually do alot of reading on all of the Duramax sites, but I would rather stay out of all of the Political BS so I usually dont bother posting.

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
Thanks Hawk355 you answered my question as to why. I to this day with about 160k miles on my truck havent had an injector problem and if I do have a GM certified mechanic friend that would help me do the work so I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal to me to do the injectors on mine.

When I asked my question as to why it was simply wondering as to what aspect was so much better about the LLY than the LB7 and I was never thinking about changing injectors as that is not my big worry running big power it is the rods and internal workings of the engine which IIRC are the same.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
me too!! ben and I have talked about this for a while......i guess my new motor is gunna be a LBYZ :D:D

i cant wait to hear more from you Hawk, are you using stock sticks or are you using bigger ones? geez, this is awesome to finally have confirmation that this works!!

and :welcome::welcome4:

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
Ok, this is my truck we are talking about here.

For starters I would like everyone to know that this thread should NOT be about weather or not it can be done, or why one would want to do it, but more "how it was done".

I’ll try to answer some of the simple question now but I don’t have time to go into details at the moment. I will look for the procedures that I wrote up (over a year ago) later this week. Along with posting a few pictures.

I have 35,000 miles currently on this dyno proven 600rwhp daily driver to back up all of my statements.

For those that WONDER WHY: My injectors failed at 160,000 miles and they replaced all of the fuel lines on top of the engine including the fuel rails due to corrosion. This time was under warrenty and it would have cost me over $3,800 if it hadn't been. So if I had put another 160,000 miles or so on the engine they would probably have failed again. But the engine didn’t make it that far, long story short it locked up 25,000 miles later. The block and pistons were scared really badly and I wanted to get the injectors out from under my valve covers for ease of access and safety. The LLY has dry injector cups witch means there is no coolant surrounding the injectors that can leak into the cylinders (this was the cause of my LB7s failure).

1. This LLY is setup like a LB7, NO EGR OR EGR COOLER!!! AND NO VVT

2. I’m using the stock LB7 ECM and FICM

3. The voltage and wire location between the two computers are identical from 2001 to at least 2005

4. The voltage to the Injectors may be different. This is why I’m using the FICM from a LLY (A Bosch engineer told me that all of the injectors that they supply to GM run off of a 12v supply line. He also told me that this engine would never run in my truck! 5 minutes after I got off of the phone with him the truck was running!!)

5. I spent more time studying the wire diagrams on the LB7 and LLY then the time it actually took me to install the engine.

Again I will post the detail later this week when I have time.

Thanks for coming in here man and telling them I was not crazy. I will say I was very skeptical when you first told me you had an LLY under the hood.

Then you proved me very wrong. I think it is awesome what you have done with your truck, proving to the community that it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Very cool! Guess my theory was correct :) I kinda figured that you could do it like that.

Ok, this is my truck we are talking about here.

For starters I would like everyone to know that this thread should NOT be about weather or not it can be done, or why one would want to do it, but more "how it was done".

I’ll try to answer some of the simple question now but I don’t have time to go into details at the moment. I will look for the procedures that I wrote up (over a year ago) later this week. Along with posting a few pictures.

I have 35,000 miles currently on this dyno proven 600rwhp daily driver to back up all of my statements.

For those that WONDER WHY: My injectors failed at 160,000 miles and they replaced all of the fuel lines on top of the engine including the fuel rails due to corrosion. This time was under warrenty and it would have cost me over $3,800 if it hadn't been. So if I had put another 160,000 miles or so on the engine they would probably have failed again. But the engine didn’t make it that far, long story short it locked up 25,000 miles later. The block and pistons were scared really badly and I wanted to get the injectors out from under my valve covers for ease of access and safety. The LLY has dry injector cups witch means there is no coolant surrounding the injectors that can leak into the cylinders (this was the cause of my LB7s failure).

1. This LLY is setup like a LB7, NO EGR OR EGR COOLER!!! AND NO VVT

2. I’m using the stock LB7 ECM and FICM

3. The voltage and wire location between the two computers are identical from 2001 to at least 2005

4. The voltage to the Injectors may be different. This is why I’m using the FICM from a LLY (A Bosch engineer told me that all of the injectors that they supply to GM run off of a 12v supply line. He also told me that this engine would never run in my truck! 5 minutes after I got off of the phone with him the truck was running!!)

5. I spent more time studying the wire diagrams on the LB7 and LLY then the time it actually took me to install the engine.

Again I will post the detail later this week when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
what I said would not work (and wont work) is swapping to a complete LLY (ECM included) in an 01-02 LB7 truck...continuing to use the LB7 ECM but having it drive an LLY FICM obviously works fine...

ben

Should have tried it when we first talked about it over a year ago!:cool2:

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
what I said would not work (and wont work) is swapping to a complete LLY (ECM included) in an 01-02 LB7 truck...continuing to use the LB7 ECM but having it drive an LLY FICM obviously works fine...

ben

I was in no way shape or form calling you out in any sort of way. If you took it as that way I apologize.

Many people have said it couldnt be done and I just found it interseting to see someone with it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Now heres a theoretical thought....

since most of us LB7 guys are coming up on the warranty, or past it, and injectors+labor would cost upwards of $3k+.....why not just swap out a set of LLY heads and FICM for about the same price, and not have to worry about injectors after that?

Juddski...."LBYZ" :rofl: dont we have enough letters?

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

since most of us LB7 guys are coming up on the warranty, or past it, and injectors+labor would cost upwards of $3k+.....why not just swap out a set of LLY heads and FICM for about the same price, and not have to worry about injectors after that?

Thats basically just what he did Tom. :D :p:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania

Warranty is up in December and thats my plan...just have to round up the parts.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Or if you have a LLY and want to dumb it down, just throw a LB7 ecm in there.:D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thats basically just what he did Tom. :D :p:

I know Ben...but Im saying that it could be a viable option for "regular joes" that are out of warranty on the LB7 injectors and dont want to risk another set going bad. It figures that you would have thought this idea up a few years ago...:rofl; What in the world didnt you think up back then?

I look forward to reading the particulars of this swap.

Last edited:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH

The LLY swap is not going to be cheap either.