I have seen the impossible!

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
First I will start saying I dont have pics. So if you dont belieive me I understand.

At the truck pull this weekend It was a 2001 GMC with a LLY motor in it. At first I did not beleive the guy when he said it. He then popped his hood and proved me wrong.

He claim that he was able to use the LB7 wiring harness. He just had to splice in the LLY injector harness. He was running a Aurora 4000 turbo and had the Rick D Lance up pipes.

He is supposting be pulling at the pull in september. I am going to try and get some pics then to show you guys that I am not crazy as this post may sound to some.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I can believe it, but I'm curious how he did it; In theory, you could drive a LLY FICM (and thus LLY injectors) with an LB7 ECM, since the injector outputs *should* be the same at the ECM on both (It's the FICM that supplies the LLY's 48v or the LB7's 96v), but you'd probably have to adjust for the different flow characteristics of the injectors. Not sure how the LLY injectors would like the LB7's 96v FICM though...

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
He was telling me that the voltage going to the injectors is the same on all models of the dmax.He seemed to know what he was talking about.

He said he was still working on some small tuning issues but nothing to drastic.

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
My question is why? What is the point? The engine characteristics are the same just the heads, tuning, injectors, turbo and other little things are different. I just dont see the point. Maybe if he had gone to the LBZ with different bottom end I could see.

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
My question is why? What is the point? The engine characteristics are the same just the heads, tuning, injectors, turbo and other little things are different. I just dont see the point. Maybe if he had gone to the LBZ with different bottom end I could see.

I dont really know why. From the price he told me he paid for the LLY I know he did not get a smoking deal on it or anything.

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
If you see him again, find out what board he's on. Better yet. Tell him to join here and give us a breakdown on his truck and how he did it. I would love to find an easier and cheaper way to get rid of the problematic injectors for some that won't go bad if you sneeze wrong.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO

That's one good reason why one might want to run a LLY longblock with a LB7 ECM. LLY Injectors are a TON easier to get to.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Very true but last I checked prices for an LLY injector they were alot more expensive so I would rather invest more time than money on my injectors.

That's debatable; Yes, LB7 injectors are cheaper, but they tend to go bad more often. LLY injectors are more expensive, but relative to LB7 injectors, they rarely go bad.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

For the tuning ease of a Lb7. LLY is a great motor but the ECM sucks ding dong. Swap to a Lb7 ecm and adjust for tuning for the bigger sticks LB7's have and boom.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Ahh I didn't know the sticks on an LB7 were bigger so the LB7 ecm would allow more fuel to be injected through the LLY sticks?

PW would need to be increased for the LLY sticks. I am just saying the LB7 is easier to tune, so if you had an LLY with a LB7 ecm that would be the ticket. Good injectors, easy to service fuel system.

Hawk355

Feb 26, 2008
My Truck

Ok, this is my truck we are talking about here.

For starters I would like everyone to know that this thread should NOT be about weather or not it can be done, or why one would want to do it, but more "how it was done".

I’ll try to answer some of the simple question now but I don’t have time to go into details at the moment. I will look for the procedures that I wrote up (over a year ago) later this week. Along with posting a few pictures.

I have 35,000 miles currently on this dyno proven 600rwhp daily driver to back up all of my statements.

For those that WONDER WHY: My injectors failed at 160,000 miles and they replaced all of the fuel lines on top of the engine including the fuel rails due to corrosion. This time was under warrenty and it would have cost me over $3,800 if it hadn't been. So if I had put another 160,000 miles or so on the engine they would probably have failed again. But the engine didn’t make it that far, long story short it locked up 25,000 miles later. The block and pistons were scared really badly and I wanted to get the injectors out from under my valve covers for ease of access and safety. The LLY has dry injector cups witch means there is no coolant surrounding the injectors that can leak into the cylinders (this was the cause of my LB7s failure).

1. This LLY is setup like a LB7, NO EGR OR EGR COOLER!!! AND NO VVT

2. I’m using the stock LB7 ECM and FICM

3. The voltage and wire location between the two computers are identical from 2001 to at least 2005

4. The voltage to the Injectors may be different. This is why I’m using the FICM from a LLY (A Bosch engineer told me that all of the injectors that they supply to GM run off of a 12v supply line. He also told me that this engine would never run in my truck! 5 minutes after I got off of the phone with him the truck was running!!)

5. I spent more time studying the wire diagrams on the LB7 and LLY then the time it actually took me to install the engine.

Again I will post the detail later this week when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator: